Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Zapper

Diesel has not had a load on it in a while

Hello, I have a 2002 2500HD with a Duramax diesel. I bought it new and had TTs at the time and planned to buy a larger trailer, but life threw the family a few curve balls and I just now purchased a new 5th wheel, which we pick up on 2/7. So here's my question...the truck has 114,000 miles on it, has been well maintained but it's not been under a load for many years. Is there anything specific I should service or plan for. Other than my 33HP Kubota this is the only diesel I've owned and I'm just not sure if she's gonna say "what the heck am I supposed to do with this" or just pull it like it stole it.

Thanks

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

At 114,000 it is finally broken in ..... drive it like you hate it. I would change all fluids if they have not been done recently. (trans, differentials, cooling, etc.)
Time to use it for what it was made for and not just getting milk and bread. Enjoy, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Desert185

When I buy used, I change all the fluids (including the brake fluid if it looks like Merlot, and it usually does) then tow. I wouldn't worry about it. My current truck never towed much of anything (it didn't have any bed hitches or trailer brakes) and it did just fine.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
bsmith0404

That truck has been begging you to hook a load up to it. As long as you have maintained it well like you state, you shouldn't need to do anything special, hook up and go. Well, one thing, check all of your hitch bolts to make sure everything is still tight. My guess is you haven't put much thought into that over the years if you haven't been towing.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I'm gonna give a bit different advice. Any diesel needs an exhaust temp gauge. I now I can hit 1400F pulling with mine if I am not careful. Without a gauge, you don't know you've done that.

Also, you have to watch the injectors on these things (mine is an 01 with less miles).

My answer to both is I run an Edge chip and pyrometer. I have alerts set for the EGT's and a few things and I can check my injector balance rates with it. It also gves a bit of a power boost so the truck ends up shifting less.

If it hasn't got one already, you should add the OD lockout kit. GM decided that a 5 spd tranny didn't need an OD lockout for some reason. There are kits to add it if it doesn't have it. Or look here http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Al...ut%20final.cfm

When you check the fluids, change the fuel filter. Check the air filter. If someone has put a K&N in there, toss it and get a GM one.

My 2.6 cents (Cdn).

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
BOWWOW

Maybe check the plug in connection on the truck for corrosion if you haven't used that for a while.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Zapper

Thanks for your thoughts, my truck has fresh fluids except coolant. That will get done next week along with fuel filter and new f set of Load Lifter 5000 bags, purchased from Kennedy Diesel...I think she'll be ready.

Reese 20K slider
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
hoaiss2000

I worked on GM cars and trucks for 10+ years at a dealer. 114K miles on your diesel is just barely broken in. Of course you will have to watch those injectors because they tend to give out every 100K miles. I've seen hundreds come in already with 300+ thousand miles and still on the stock bottom end. I really wouldn't worry too much.
hoaiss2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
bsmith0404

I've never seen the EGTs get up that high on a stock dmax. My dad has had 3 and I'm on my 2nd one. When you chip them, the EGTs tend to run a bit higher and can climb considerably when under load. I do run an Edge CTS so I can monitor them just in case, but I wouldn't call it a requirement.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Zapper

I really do feel like the Dmax is just getting broken in well. My injectors were replaced, under warranty at 80k...I have no plans to chip the truck. I retired from Allison Transmission in Speedway IN, where my LCT tranny was built...I know it's built to last. Big question now is if we're going to be able to get the TH next week. It's almost 200 miles away in Shipshewa, IN and the forcast calls for snow and 15 below temps...if this is the case, we'll wait a few days longer.

Reese 20K slider
Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I sure look the advice of getting gauges or some way of knowing at all times tranny temp and pypro temp and maybe even boost. I had them installed hard wired gauges that match the dash style/colors. If you going to now tow a lot and with that trailer it could save you. I know I blew up my tranny from over heating, the gauges at 500 were a lot cheaper than a 5400 tranny. Scanning the gauges is like checking the mirrors, I do it often.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
cblong

since you have been driving without a trailer for so long your truck never really had any strain on the cooling system. I would inspect the cooling stack and clean it if necessary.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
dm1401

The Allison transmission is definitely a well built unit, but it is a self learning trans, that will self adjust pressure to maintain shift comfort, since you haven't towed heavy in some time I recommend taking it easy for the first bit (50 or so miles) so it can learn and adjust line pressure to the heavy load, I have never found a firm answer on how long the trans needs to learn the new loads.
I bet you'll find that your truck runs so much better after a good tow session. I got this information from the duramax forums, and it would come up on the cummins forums also since the dodge 68rfe is the same idea (I think they tried to copy the Allison)
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #14
mazboy123

diesel

lets of input but the bottom line is just connect, plug in and go. there is nothing else you need to do.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #15
Zapper

Thanks all good advice. We were supposed to pick the TH up tomorrow but Shipshewanna got hammered with snow and is now enduring below zero temps, we've decided to wait for more optimal conditions to make the drive.
dm1401, the tranny is a self learner and I do remember an LCT engineer telling me you could "reset" the TCM by dropping the shift selector down to low and speeds above 50mph. I'm pretty sure there was also discussion about this at DieselPage.com. Myself, I don't have the ----s to try it, so I'll just let it take the time it needs to relearn. My truck has a tranny temp gage which I'm pretty sure all Allison equipped HD trucks have.
Next ,and I've been told both views before, but do most really think an EGT gage is a must with a none chipped truck?

Reese 20K slider
Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
KYFamily

IMO I do not think you need an EGT gauge on a stock truck. I do have one but I have EFI live with a heavy and light tow tune. I have never even seen 1300 degrees so you shouldn't either.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #17
rnkburg

Egt gauge yes
Change fluids and fuel filter
Consider the nictane fuel filter lot to swap to the better cat filter
And I can't stress enough to inspect the brake lines. These trucks are known to have them rust out about where it goes up under the gas tank and when you put a load on the truck they will go. Yes happened to me already and it's not a great feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
Thanks all good advice. We were supposed to pick the TH up tomorrow but Shipshewanna got hammered with snow and is now enduring below zero temps, we've decided to wait for more optimal conditions to make the drive.
dm1401, the tranny is a self learner and I do remember an LCT engineer telling me you could "reset" the TCM by dropping the shift selector down to low and speeds above 50mph. I'm pretty sure there was also discussion about this at DieselPage.com. Myself, I don't have the ----s to try it, so I'll just let it take the time it needs to relearn. My truck has a tranny temp gage which I'm pretty sure all Allison equipped HD trucks have.
Next ,and I've been told both views before, but do most really think an EGT gage is a must with a none chipped truck?
My dad and I both run additional gauges, he has a bully dog on his 06 and I have an Edge CTS on my 11. The OEM tranny temp gage sto be the only one that is consistent with the after market gages. I was surprised how much difference there is with coolant temp and oil pressure gages between OEM and the after market. As for the EGT, I have never seen my EGTs rise anywhere near the danger zone and they cool down quick so I don't have to watch them much before shutdown. My dad has his chipped and when he changes settings from stock, his EGTs rise a bit depending on what setting he uses. He also has to watch them closer before shutting down to protect the turbo. When he is set on stock, it's about the same as mine. So in my opinion, no you don't NEED an EGT gage on a stock truck, but it's nice to have. The Edge CTS like I have plugs into your OBD II port, it is a gage only not a programmer. If you want to leave your truck stock, but increase your monitoring capability, I'd recommend this system.

BTW, good call not going to Indiana last week, it was nasty up there and the roads were in bad shape once you got about 100 miles north of 70. There is a break in the weather Tuesday/Wednesday and then Thursday gets bad again. You may want to consider trying to hit that window.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-07-2015, 04:05 AM   #19
Inherentwired1

Change differential fluid, engine oil, and transmission fluid. Check your brakes, check radiator...change coolant. That should keep you going.
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

ZAPPER,

Without knowing the "travel history" of your new trailer, it may have already been towed to the dealership on salt covered roads, or it may not have been. One of the worst things you can do for your RV is to tow it through salty slush and then not clean the undercarriage well to remove the salt. We have a number of owners who have taken delivery of their RV during the winter, towed it home and in the spring, they find significant rust has already started on the "Lippert powder coated chassis".....

When we're around Goshen and that area, there are a number of RV's leaving the transport lots on a regular basis, rain, shine, snow or sleet. I'm sure that a large number of them (possibly almost all of them) arrive at the dealer's lot, get parked and start getting shown to customers the next day. How many of them get a good undercarriage cleaning? Probably only a few. If your RV has been on the lot since fall, you might not have any salt on it, if it was towed during a "sloppy day" you may already have significant rust on the frame. I'd suggest you wait until it's a nice clear day for your travels and before you pick up the RV, crawl under it and look closely for rust damage. It only takes one season for significant damage to occur.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote