Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
lovett1220

Furnace won't heat

We have a 2008 Keystone Springdale travel trailer. The furnace will not blow hot air. The stove is heating up fine and both tanks are full of propane. Any ideas on what the reason for no heat from the furnace???
lovett1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Try setting the thermostat to AUTO and see if that makes any difference.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Borrowedit

Furnace won't heat

I have the same problem and it's FreEZING!! Where is the furnace even at in this thing?
Borrowedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowedit View Post
I have the same problem and it's FreEZING!! Where is the furnace even at in this thing?
WHAT THING?????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Borrowedit

Furnace won't heat

In my 2008 Springdale where is the furnace ? Can't even find it yo see what these instructions are talking about
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

in 2008 Springdale produced 14 travel trailer models and 5 fifth wheel models. It would be fruitless for anyone to post the location of the furnace in 19 different models for you. Have you considered walking outside your RV and looking for the furnace vent? You'll be looking for a silver plate about 3"x8" with two holes, each about 2" in diameter, one above the other. That will be your exterior furnace vent. The furnace will be located directly behind that vent, probably 6-12" behind it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Borrowedit

Thank you I didn't even know that I was unable to glean much information to its whereabouts from the manual or the internet. Will look for that vent
Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowedit View Post
In my 2008 Springdale where is the furnace ? Can't even find it yo see what these instructions are talking about
Have you tried turning it on and listening or feeling the blowing air?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Borrowedit

Furnace won't heat

Yes and air was blowing if we had it set to on but not on auto. We just uncovered it, when it was in storage apparently something ate the wires roughing it out with the little electric heaters today praying the repairman can come tomorrow! JRTJH hank you so much for taking time to help! Thank you for your service also.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
Scttw

Thumbs up

Ya, this site is super helpful - extremely active and educated people like John here to help out. There is likely not a topic that can't be covered
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #11
lovett1220

Still no heat!!

The thermostat is set on heat and automatic. It appeared to be working a few days ago. It was at least blowing some hot air. The blower is just blowing cold air now. It will stay on for several minutes before turning off. The oven is heating up fine so I am confused on what the problem is.

It is not a fifth wheel but I am unsure of the model number until I get home.
lovett1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
geo

Try this - Light a burner on the stove, turn it on medium high. Now, go over to the thermostat and make sure it is set on furnace, then bump up the temperature to force the furnace to "come on". First there should be fan noise as the fan clears the combustion chamber of any excess propane. Then about 15 - 20 seconds later, the propane should be turned on and the igniter fired. Now, does the stove burner "go out" at this time?

If so, you probably have one of two problems. 1) Your propane tanks are empty enough that they can't sustain the propane draw needed to keep the furnace lit. Fill the propane tanks. 2) The valves in the pigtail hoses that connect the propane tanks to the regulator are closing when the furnace tries to draw additional propane. Replace the pigtail hoses and Acme connectors. (I had this happen several times on our Alpine, finally replaced the pigtails with marine grade pigtails from Marshall.)

The third possibility is remote, but has happened to me on our Alpine. The regulator is either malfunctioning or isn't rated for the additional propane draw - you don't have a "high flow regulator". The Camco regulator that came standard on our Alpine could not sustain a high flow needed to run a propane generator by itself! Much less with the furnace or stove. I replaced the Camco with a Marshall dual tank dual-stage regulator.

Big key here to deduce the problem - light the stove and watch the flame when you do anything else!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jrtjh