Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
hartle58

05 Keystone Laredo

We just purchased a used 05 Laredo. It has a panel next to the stove that has on/off switches, one for electric, one for propane. Does anyone know if this is for the heater, the water heater, or what it applies to. I'm sure they told us at the place where we bought it...but don't remember and not really sure they knew.
hartle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum and congratulation on your "new to you" Laredo.

The switch you're talking about is most likely for the hot water heater. The furnace is operated by the thermostat, there is no "off/on" switch for it. Be careful that you don't turn on the electric side of the hot water heater unless it's full of water as the electric element will burn out in just a few seconds unless it's submerged in water.

Look around the forum, there's a search feature located in the top blue bar on every forum page, if you can't find what you're looking for, try a search, if that fails, start a thread and ask for help. Someone will direct you to the right place to get your answers if it's more complex than just a few lines.

Enjoy your visits with us, we're happy to have you as a new member. Enjoy your Laredo !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Welcome,
Sounds like you did not buy it at Curtis Trailers, They sell them and should be helpful to any questions about a Keystone. Guys on here also can help alot. I have purchased parts at Curtis for many years and the last trailer. I do not know about your switchs or trailer but, sounds like water heater to me.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
hartle58

Thanks

Sadly, no, we didn't buy it from Curtis Trailers, though we have been there since then about a hitch and wiring for brake assist, and they have been very helpful. It seems like the guy who walked us very quickly through the systems had indicated we had a furnace that could operate both with electric and propane and that was what the switch was for. But it went so quickly, we could be mistaken. Hopefully we haven't burned out the water heater....if so, we may be looking for a new element. Thanks for your help. We are totally new to having a trailer. We may have a few questions as time goes by.
hartle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartle58 View Post
Sadly, no, we didn't buy it from Curtis Trailers, though we have been there since then about a hitch and wiring for brake assist, and they have been very helpful. It seems like the guy who walked us very quickly through the systems had indicated we had a furnace that could operate both with electric and propane and that was what the switch was for. But it went so quickly, we could be mistaken. Hopefully we haven't burned out the water heater....if so, we may be looking for a new element. Thanks for your help. We are totally new to having a trailer. We may have a few questions as time goes by.
In his haste to get back to his other duties, the guy that walked you through your Laredo was mistaken or you didn't understand him properly. The furnace is propane only (with a 12 volt fan to push the air) and there is no 110 volt heat capability in the furnace. (There is a 110 volt add on unit but I seriously doubt you have that on an 05 Laredo). There is a possibility that you have a 110 volt heat element mounted in your air conditioner, but again, that option isn't usually found in earlier ducted air systems.

The switch, I'm sure, is for your hot water heater and should look something like this example or a variant of this type switch.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric/propane switch