Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, low and behold, today UPS delivered my spare tire carrier. It's sitting in the garage and I'm about to walk it over to the pole barn and if it's not too cold, install it, or at least get started.

PPL Motorhomes lists on their website and in all their literature that the BAL underslung spare tire carrier is a "freight only" item and cost was $127 for freight to ship here. They didn't want to honor the $9.99 shipping, but finally relented and approved it a week or so ago. Anyway, it's here, finally.....

DJ85, have you heard anything about your order yet? Hopefully it'll arrive before too long.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

halfprice;

Noticed in your pictures you have your spare covered, never thought of covering mine. What is the advantages? Any issues with cover holding moisture in top rim

Thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
halfprice;

Noticed in your pictures you have your spare covered, never thought of covering mine. What is the advantages? Any issues with cover holding moisture in top rim

Thanks
When I got my trailer the dealer put the cover on to advertise their dealership. I never though to take it off. I don't believe it would hold any moisture. First I don't know how moisture would get there and the bottom is open so it gets airflow.

I don't believe it hurts anything. If anyone thinks it can cause some problems please let me know and it will come off.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #24
DJ85

No john I sure haven't . They told me it would be April 16 before it would even be shipped. Been watching my e mail and check for recording on the recorder, but haven't heard anything. I am taking that as a good thing. I am hoping you wore them out and they dont feel like arguing about the shipping anymore. I will keep you posted.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
No john I sure haven't . They told me it would be April 16 before it would even be shipped. Been watching my e mail and check for recording on the recorder, but haven't heard anything. I am taking that as a good thing. I am hoping you wore them out and they dont feel like arguing about the shipping anymore. I will keep you posted.
I didn't get any notice from PPL or from UPS this time. On the last one I ordered (the wrong one) I got several Emails from PPL that it was shipping, that it had shipped and another with the delivery date. I also got two from R&L Trucking that they were transporting it and another with "we want to confirm delivery".

This time, NADA, it was suprising that UPS showed up with this "huge" thing wrapped in plastic. It doesn't come in a box. Both of mine had a sheet of cardboard around the middle and were wrapped in some saran-wrap so they could stick a packing label on it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
DJ85

Oh boy if thats the way its shipped then this could get interestng. They smash the stuffing out of regular stuff cant wait to see how this comes. Got nothing but time. I did find it interestng that ppl sells this accessorie, but when I called them about a shipping date. I was told aaaaaaaaammmmmmm let me get back to ya. So I wonder if its the place that makes them wanting the increase of shipping fee or if its ppl. I guess either way someone messed up or really is there a problem at all? I really think there are times I worry about to much. Lets just wait and see what happens... m

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Honestly, how can you screw up a steel pipe??? LOL From what I understand, BAL builds them a few at a time. There isn't a warehouse stock of them sitting around anywhere so if several people order them around the same time, the stock is depleted until BAL builds more. I remember a couple other forum members who ordered and theirs was also backordered for a while. As for shipping, it probably is easier if it's drop shipped for BAL to set it on a pallet and call the trucking company, after all, "somebody else" pays for the transportation, but when the item is shipped from PPL's warehouse and they are the ones trying to remain competitive, they need to find a way to reduce the shipping costs, so "creative packing and UPS" get involved....

LOL

I wouldn't worry about damage in shipping, these things are designed to be loaded with a 100 lb spare tire while bouncing down the road at 60 MPH under an RV for thousands of miles without damage, dropping it from a truck onto the concrete won't do much to it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #28
halfprice

Mine came in a box and it was wrapped up inside. The box got kind of beat up during the shipping but the BAL was just fine.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #29
DJ85

Famous last words!!!! What could possibly happen or go wrong!!!!! It will be okay as long as nothing gets chopped off or has a lingering effect. After a couple of beers it usaually doesn't matter anymore or stops hurting

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #30
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Mine came in a box and it was wrapped up inside. The box got kind of beat up during the shipping but the BAL was just fine.

Jerry
Mine came without a box just a shipping label taped to it!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #31
DJ85

Got an e mail showing has been shipped and will be Tuesday. Showed being shipped by ups!

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #32
bg71361

I hope the OP doesn't mind me throwing in some of my install pictures. My install was a little different I have a Cougar X-Lite 26SAB Fiver with the covered underbelly. My install was challenging between the plumbing, stairs, stabilizers and the drop down for the basement hatch it left few places to put this. First picture you can see the two extension rods hanging down showing placement.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Drivers side bracket notched to clear trailer support bracket, picture shown with only 3 of the 4 bolts installed. You can almost see in the picture I bolted the brackets through with 5/16"-18 bolts I believe they were 1 1/2" long and then used a spacer between the frame and bracket.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #33
bg71361

[/URL][/IMG]

Passenger side bracket notched also!

[/URL][/IMG]

Tight quarters.

[/URL][/IMG]

I also added this plate to the carrier to move the tire to the center of the trailer to clear the rear scissor jack.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
bg71361

[/URL][/IMG]

Completed add on plate.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Done.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #35
KMH

Nice install! Looks like you had some obstacles to work around!

I've yet to install mine, but will be doing so this week, hopefully. I'll also be picking up another one and somehow putting the 25gal waste tote that we have on there. We rarely need it or use it, but when/if we do, I don't want to have to bring it in our tow vehicle with passengers.
KMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #36
byrdr1

Nice install...
I just looked on Rvupgrades and it shows a 19.95 shipping charge plus 89.95 for the product.. I just couldn't pull the trigger today..almost..

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
KMH

Check your local RV parts store, big or small. My local small town RV store charged me $89.99 plus tax, as he gets free shipping from his distributor.

BTW, $20 shipping is cheap, I was getting quotes of $40-$60.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #38
KMH

OP: Thank you for posting this thread, as it inspired me to make this change on my trailer. I installed a Kurt Universal RV hitch on our 2012 Keystone 235EXP, but could not properly utilize it with the spare on the back. I finally got around to installing this kit a few nights ago. does exactly what it is designed to, and very well at that. I did have to ovalize the hole where the knob tightens the extension part to the stationary bracket on the frame, due to having used hex head nut/bolts to mount it to the frame. this was an easy fix. I used 3 nuts bolts, washers and lock washers on each end of the unit. I also used anti-sieze on the bolts so that I can take it apart if I ever need to.

The bonus is that I realized that our ~22gal Barker Waste tote can ride on the other side of the BAL hide-a-spare bracket, with little or no modification. We only use the waste tote maybe 1 or 2 trips out of the whole year, but when/if we need it, I don't want to wish I brought it.

If I put a crossmember (I ordered 2 of each style from Keystone just for mods like this) strategically, it will block the tank from moving once the bracket is secured.

I also put a UWS Cargo tray on the hitch, and used an anti-rattle devise from Amazon to tighten up the slop. Looking forward to the extra space!
(Before removing Spare)

AFTER REMOVING SPARE (still need to get screw hole plugs, so I can remove the bracket altogether):
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Nice job KMH.

Can you explain more about how you mounted the tote? I am in the process of installing my Hide-A-Spare and would love to get the tote out of the truck bed on those rare occasions we take it with us.

Also, what are the "cross members" you are talking about?

TIA
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #40
KMH

Haven't mounted the tote yet, but after crawling under there, it's clear that it should work fine. Using the extra space not occupied by the spare, I'm tossing around ideas... Being that one side would be blocked by the factory crossmember, the keystone crossmember (bolt in ones holding the black and gray tanks up) that I ordered from keystone ($18 ea I believe) would help hold it in on the other side.

We had to take off for a camping trip or I would have messed with it more, but it looks like it'll be a great fit. Will post more as I get time to complete it. We have no trips for the remainder of the season where I'll need it, so it's something I want to get done, but am not pressed for time on it..

Also thought about bending up some conduit on one end to hold the tank there, just have to determine how to mount it to the BAL unit.. It telescopes in and our for access, so I can't bolt through it...

Will post more when I can.. If you need keystone part numbers for the crossmembers, let me know!