Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
tidwood

First time to refill propane tanks.

This will be our first long road trip, we've done a few 2 week trips, and one of our propane tanks is empty and I'm going to guess that the other is getting low. What is the best method for re-filling them? Right now the 5er is in the storage yard and we won't be bring it home for another week do to other commitments, I can probably remove the tanks and take them to either the local camp ground or Camping World, but since this will be the first, should I wait and just take the rig into one of those places when we pick it up or is removing, refilling and then replacing the tanks easy enough for me to do alone? From what I remember from the spec's, this 285 RLD has 2 30 gallon tanks. Aside from the fact that I know they are tall and have a valve to select which tank I want to use, I really don't know anything else about them. It is a 2012 model. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
2005 Ford F250 4X4 crewcab
tidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
B&T

A typical steel 30 pound liquid propane tank weighs about 25-28 pounds empty.

Propane weighs about 4.125 pounds per gallon and a 30 pound tank will
hold about 7.5 gallons so a full tank will weigh about 55 pounds or so.

One of my 20 pound tanks needed to be filled while I was at North Myrtle Beach last month. The campground has a local propane company that fills on site but at $4.75 a gallon (4.7Gal * $4.75 =$22.32), I chose to take my tank to a local Mom-n-Pop hardware store that filled it for $5.99. I was going that way anyway so it did not cost me anything except about 10 minutes of my time to remove and re-install the tank. But my tanks weigh less than yours when full and that may be something to consider.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
tidwood

Thank you, the added weight will be something to consider! Our son, who is a firefighter, will be off for the next 8 days, so this looks like a great father/son job
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
SteveC7010

There are a great number of places that do propane refills a whole lot less expensively than Camping World. Even places like BJ's and Costco do it. Most of them will have a sign out front advertising the refills.

Shop around a bit, you'll find a bunch of places that do refills that you never thought about. Remember that every propane gas grille in the country needs refills so they are out there and they are conveniently located.

The local stove shop here in the village does propane refills. He's not the absolute cheapest, but he's the only around for many miles. His prices are low enough that it's not worth traveling any distance for a small cost savings.

The absolute last thing you ever want to do is to consider the exchange deals. Most of them are 20 pounders only, but their prices are OUTRAGEOUS.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

It is really easy, take it yourself to the local LP dealer
Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
f6bits

I have an auto-switchover valve that indicates when my primary tank is empty. Not sure if the same valve will work on a fiver:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076HM9E

I usually just take the empty one when I finish camping. However, my local propane place charges a minimum for refill, so if I bring in two empty tanks, I save a few bucks.

One of my twenty-pounders will last me five days of camping under normal conditions.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
tidwood

Thank you all for the great ideas and suggestions. I have called around a bit today and found the cost to be from $4 a gallon on the high side at one of the 2 local campgrounds, to $3.19 at the other campground. Camping World was at the high end, also at $3.99. (They don't do the actual tank refilling, but have a company called Delta energy on site that does it for them) I will try a couple of other places, but a vast majority of the stores in this area only offer the "Blue Rhino" tank swap services for BBQ grills. Only being 30 miles north of Los Angeles, we don't have many propane services for home tank refills.
On the subject of the auto-switch over valve, I think our 5er came with just such a valve, looks like the one in the photo, with the exception of ours has a gauge at the top. I will have to see if there is some documentation for it in the huge binder, that the dealer called an owner's manual.
We're going to be leaving on the 23rd of this month for Rogers, AR. area, then Hot Springs and finally into Tenn. for a couple of weeks. Hope to return to SoCal the 2nd week of June, should be pretty good with the propane refilling by then!
Thank you all , once again, for all the good information.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
SlowPoke

Also, Terry, keep in mind that if you are ever on the road, and decide to "Top off" your tank(s) before a long outing somewhere, SOME places will charge a minimum no matter how much you take to refill. My dad recently got into a lil steamer with a Flying J attendant and manager who insisted he pay for 7 gallons when he only got 2 gallons. They had to eat their words when he took them outside to show they were wrong about the sign being posted that said "7 Gallon minimum"...lol

He always wins arguments.... even with me

Just thought that would be good to check before you have to refill a partial tank in the future.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Bean

Near me the local Ryder truck rental place does propane refills.

Bean
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
Bushman512000

May I say where I buy in the USA

TSC store Tractor parts store I found are fair at not over charging I bought @ $1.99 per Gallon in Tenn. and $2.29 in Mississippi as for the exchange tanks I was told they do not fill full to keep people thinking the deal is great it is for them but not for Us as buyers...My 2cents...Bushman just home from 3-1/2 in the south ......love the warm....Hi everyone ..
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
hankaye

tidwood, Howdy;

The link above showes the same regulator as came with my 5th wheel
when new.
Call around to hardware stores, farm supply stores, ... when you are out
and about and you see a business that has a propane tank sitting beside
it go and see if the Porpane company's name is on it. Make a note and call
them. Do this with several and compare the prices... if the name isn't on it
go inside and ask the folks who the supplier is.
When you DO get them filled, be sure to open the valves slowly when you
reconnect them. There is an "Excess Flow devise" that will shut the system
down with the sudden rush of gas, fustrating....
Here is a step-by-step for 5th wheel propane tank swaps from one of our members (Jim W);

"Split-Bottle Systems – (Primarily on Fifth-Wheels)
Some Keystone fifth wheels use a split-bottle system where there is one propane bottle located on each side of the unit. There are some instances where this system may inadvertently activate the “excess flow device” located in the propane pigtail.
The “excess flow device” is a safety feature that is designed to detect a large leak in the propane system such as a broken gas line and reduce the flow of propane from the bottle. It also activates when the propane bottle service valve is turned on and the propane system is not completely closed such as when the range burner is left on. The device is not designed to completely stop the flow of propane, but to reduce it to approximately 20,000 BTUs/hr.
When activated, one appliance at a time may operate normally; however, when a large demand is placed on the system such as turning on several appliances or the furnace, they will not receive sufficient propane pressure to operate properly. Follow the procedure below to avoid inadvertently activating the “excess flow device” and to operate the split bottle propane system.
Follow this procedure for the following conditions: After refilling either or both bottles; After any part of the propane system has been disconnected; Appliance burners are not operating correctly; Low operating pressure exists downstream from the regulator when operating heavy demand appliances such as the furnace.
1. Verify both propane bottles contain sufficient propane. Refill if necessary.
2. Close both propane bottle service valves.
3.Attach the propane pigtails to the service valve.
4. Close manually operated gas valves on the range or water heater.
5. Turn the indicator on the regulator to the bottle closest to it.
6. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle closest to the regulator. This is typically the bottle on the entry door side. Open the valve all the way.
7. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle that is furthest from the regulator until you can hear gas start to flow through. Do not open the valve all the way. Wait 1 minute.
8. Re-close the service valve and then slowly re-open it all the way. The system is now ready to operate.
This happen to me earlier this year and I followed these instructions and have had no issues since.
Jim W."

Hope this helps eliminate some fustration.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
apr67

Keep in mind that most of the prefill or tank exchanges are indeed 20 lb tanks, but they are only filled to 16 lbs.
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
B&T

All tanks can only be filled to 80% Maximum regardless of where they are filled. This is a safety measure that is required.

Quote:
Since 2002, upright tanks between four and 40 pounds are required to have an overfill protection device (OPD) — a simple device that automatically shuts off a fill when the tank is about four-fifths full. Larger propane tanks, though not fitted with OPDs, also follow the 80-percent rule.
More info here:

http://www.propane.pro/blog/propane-...question-0105/
2003 R-Vision Traillite
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
86GT2r

Some home improvement stores refill propane tanks. Around here, Menards has a bulk tank to fill customers tanks without exchanging them.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
apr67

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
All tanks can only be filled to 80% Maximum regardless of where they are filled. This is a safety measure that is required.

More info here:

http://www.propane.pro/blog/propane-...question-0105/
You are somewhat correct. You can only fill a propane tank to 80% of its liquid capacity. However a 20lb propane tank it already properly derated, to hold (wait for it) 20lbs of propane.

If you look on the collar of the 20lb propane tank you will see WC and a number (usually 47.7). This number is the capacity of water the tank can hold, in pounds. 47.7 pounds of water is about 5.7 gallons. Propane weighs about 4.24 lbs per gallon, which means that 20lbs of propane is 4.7 gallons.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
You are somewhat correct. You can only fill a propane tank to 80% of its liquid capacity. However a 20lb propane tank it already properly derated, to hold (wait for it) 20lbs of propane.

If you look on the collar of the 20lb propane tank you will see WC and a number (usually 47.7). This number is the capacity of water the tank can hold, in pounds. 47.7 pounds of water is about 5.7 gallons. Propane weighs about 4.24 lbs per gallon, which means that 20lbs of propane is 4.7 gallons.
Yes, Thanks! I noted that this morning while looking further into the subject.

Also took a look on the label on a Blue Rhino 20lb tank on my Gas Grill. It clearly states it is filled to "15lb net" which means it is only filled to 3/4 of the tank capacity (20lb). I have to admit I never bothered to read the label when I exchanged that tank -- just assumed it was a full tank.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
apr67

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
Also took a look on the label on a Blue Rhino 20lb tank on my Gas Grill. It clearly states it is filled to "15lb net" which means it is only filled to 3/4 of the tank capacity (20lb). I have to admit I never bothered to read the label when I exchanged that tank -- just assumed it was a full tank.
The size of everything keeps shrinking while the price goes up. Sure, the label on my triscuits notes that I got 2 oz less, but they didn't put in big print "now, the same price for less" ! OR Now 12 oz for the same price as 18 oz!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
hankaye

apr67, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
The size of everything keeps shrinking while the price goes up. Sure, the label on my triscuits notes that I got 2 oz less, but they didn't put in big print "now, the same price for less" ! OR Now 12 oz for the same price as 18 oz!
Back to math class ... 18-12 = 6 not 2.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
tidwood

Thank you to all who posted for such great information! We will follow the procedure you posted, Hankaye, and make sure we won't activate that safety valve. As for looking a places with propane tanks and getting the names and numbers from those tanks, we will keep that in mind when on the road. Locally, the number of people using propane for home or business would probably be zero. Just about to do a little quick net surfing for propane and then get the tanks and have them filled. Once again, thanks to all for the advice.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
35mastr

If there is a U haul Store near you they fill tanks also. I fill mine there as its pretty much walking distance from our home.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote