Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
mikell

Generator Start question

I picked up a small Class c for short fishing and hunting trips but the class c group doesn't seem much help. I know this sirte has pretty much seen it all.

Do you have to be disconnected from shore power to start the generator. I'm having an issue and don't know where to start

Starter kicks in and tries with jumper cables but not with just NEW house battery
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
geo

Mikell -

I would think that your Class C would be like our towables, there should be an ATS (automatic transfer switch) that separates the shorepower and generator power. Check to see if you have an ATS. If you don't have an ATS, look for a relay that is powered off the shorepower and kills the 12VDC feed to the generator. Also, check that the engine battery isn't supplying the 12VDC to the generator and you have a bad connection.

Unless there is some type of kill relay on the 12VDC to the generator, being connected to shorepower shouldn't matter. The ATS should keep generator power and shorepower separated.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Mikell,

Depending on the year of the class c, it may not have an ATS. Some of the older ones simply plugged the shore power cord into the generator output. So, you could ONLY be hooked up to shore power or the generator power. Later, the ATS came into play, I'm thinking about 1994 or 1995. If you have a 30 AMP plug in the generator compartment and it's empty, chances are you don't have an ATS. But, if you do have an ATS, then if it's working properly, you should be able to leave the shower power line connected to shore power and start the generator with no damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
mikell

This is a 2000 and haven't seen a plug. Will be pulling the hot wire out tonight . I cleaned the grounds and that didn't help.

The hot wire for the genny goes to the house battery after the isolator correct?

Might put a seperate isolator in I'm not convincet that whole mess is getting juice even after i cleaned the terminals
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
mikell

Up and humming, $100 in the gas tank that has to be above 1/4 to have fuel for the genny. A good charged battery and it took off finally . Going to run it for a couple of hours.

was headed to the east side fishing next weekend but the river in Ohmer is STILL FROZE!!!