Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
davidcyndi

Will bal x chocks work with tri leveler?

Would the bal x chocks work if you used one of these? I want to put the bal x chocks on both sides.

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
webslave

I don't believe that the Tri-Leveler is to be used with tandem axle trailers...the way the axles are equalized (a swivel point connection) won't raise your trailer with just one wheel raised on the Tri-Leveler and I doubt that you have 22" or better between your axles (the Tri-Leveler specs are 22" in length) so that you could use one on each axle... In order to effectively raise the trailer on tandem axle units, you need to raise both axles simultaneously...

I've never used them, but, have seen them in use on small single axle trailers and pop-ups; this is from a review on them on Amazon (not my poor spelling):

"Due to the face that these are only 18" long they cannot level a tandem axel trailer from side to side as both axels will not touch the leveler. And they are too long to fit a second Tri-leveler under the front tire for standard trailers. Though side-to side leveling would be possible for single axel trailers."

Since your are asking about the X-Chock, I have to guess that you're also talking about a tandem axle trailer...an X-Chock, of course, is useless on a single axle rig.

But, to answer your original question, whatever you use for side to side leveling, it shouldn't affect whether you can use X-Chocks on your rig, as long as it is tandem or tri- axle. I've seen a lot of "stuff" used to level trailers over the years and the X-Chock would work with all of it

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I don't believe that the Tri-Leveler is to be used with tandem axle trailers...the way the axles are equalized (a swivel point connection) won't raise your trailer with just one wheel raised on the Tri-Leveler and I doubt that you have 22" or better between your axles (the Tri-Leveler specs are 22" in length) so that you could use one on each axle... In order to effectively raise the trailer on tandem axle units, you need to raise both axles simultaneously...

I've never used them, but, have seen them in use on small single axle trailers and pop-ups; this is from a review on them on Amazon (not my poor spelling):

"Due to the face that these are only 18" long they cannot level a tandem axel trailer from side to side as both axels will not touch the leveler. And they are too long to fit a second Tri-leveler under the front tire for standard trailers. Though side-to side leveling would be possible for single axel trailers."

Since your are asking about the X-Chock, I have to guess that you're also talking about a tandem axle trailer...an X-Chock, of course, is useless on a single axle rig.

But, to answer your original question, whatever you use for side to side leveling, it shouldn't affect whether you can use X-Chocks on your rig, as long as it is tandem or tri- axle. I've seen a lot of "stuff" used to level trailers over the years and the X-Chock would work with all of it

Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
MarkS

Is it just me, or is that video so wrong?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless Keystone changed their instructions and reprinted the owner's manual (and I missed it), they don't recommend moving one of their RV's with the slide extended. In fact, the owner's manual instructs that the RV must be level and the stabilizer jacks extended prior to extending the slide.

I watched the video and feel like the previous poster that the video is "all wrong". So, First, I would not move my trailer with the slide out, not even "a few feet forward just to place the tri leveller. Second, I would never trust my RV with only one tire chocked, even if it is in a "relatively level gravel lot behind the dealership" Third, I wouldn't screw my stabilizer jacks that far extended and not expect the trailer to "rock around up in the air" from that much extension on the jacks.

About the best thing I see with that video is the demonstration on how to use a battery drill driver to extend the stabilizers, just not that far down without a pad/block under them..... I really hope that nobody takes away from that video that it's OK to move the RV with the slide extended.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
davidcyndi

settle down guys!

I wasn't posting the video to critique the guys ability to be safe, I posted the vid to show him putting a tri leveler under one wheel as it pertained to my question. I am going to get the leveling squares and put them under both wheels on the slide side. Thanks and I guess a mod can close this thread now or just delete it.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
MarkS

Hi DavidCyndy,

I was not attacking you, hope you did not take it that way. The X-Chock question is a reasonable question.

The video just surprised me. It had a lot of stuff that I would never do. But then, every one has their system.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Same wtih me, I wasn't commenting on the poster, rather the peole who produced the video. To me, seeing an RV "expert" do so many things incorrectly or in conflict with what Keystone instructs in the owner's manual is akin to watching a policeman demonstrate how to buckle a seatbelt while he's drunk, and then watching him drive off with the seatbelt hanging out the door of his police car..... When someone who is not well versed in RVing sees that video, just think of all the bad or unsafe habits they could believe are OK because the "expert" did it !!!

No reflection on you for posting the video. In a way, I'm glad you did, The "actor" is apparently a salesman and if he is, it reinforces that if their lips are moving.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Javi

Don't want to pop nobody's bubble but the tri-leveler works just fine with the spread axle trailers .
I put one between the tires and one behind the rear then back up.