Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
nwfla

31bhpr maxxair fan installation

Hey all,
Loving our new 31bhpr. One thing I have been reading up on is maxxair fans, or their equivalent.
I'm looking to put one in the kitchen area of my tt. Really need some ventilation sometimes.
I'm pretty handy with tools, and figure I could do this myself. before I go and take things apart, was hoping someone had some insight. Pretty sure there are some ceiling light wires close by, but would rather have the fan NOT on the light circuit, we don't leave the ceiling lights on much. Is there another power source/wires close to the vent area where I want to install the fan?
Any input would be helpful.
thx
nwfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
golfpro

unless you are very handy, go for the light fixture.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
TandE

I agree with golfpro, just use a ceiling light wire that's already there. None of your lights need to be on for the maxair vent to work since there will be a constant 12v supply on the wires.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Kitchen ceiling lights are most likely switched from the wall and will have no power when switch is off. There are many posts about installing MaxxAire or Fantastic fans if you need some tips try a forum search on that subject. If you remove the inside trim from the vent you should be able to see in (or reach in) to find other wires, just be careful to fuse the fan correctly. Be careful while working on the roof, take your time and you will enjoy your new fan.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
GaryWT

You are not far from the AC unit. As for the ceiling light not sure if the 12 volt circuit is like others with a live and dead wire but the 8-10 lights are switched at the main panel. We just have the vent and run the AC fan only when we need air movement.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
dmgearhart

We used to own a 31bhpr and I did something similar to what you are talking about. I pulled the microwave out, knocked a little hole in the ceiling above it, and then fished a wire over to the hole from the vent (after taking down the vent frame). Once i got the wire to above the microwave i knocked a hole in the back of one of the cabinets and ran it to behind the refrigerator where there was 12v. I don't remember the specifics because it was 3-4 years ago but I don't recall it being terribly difficult. I was always concerned that i might blow a fuse but we used it for several years and never had a problem. We have since sold the 31bhpr and bought a 33blpr that I need to do the same thing to. Hope that helps, dg
dmgearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
nwfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgearhart View Post
We used to own a 31bhpr and I did something similar to what you are talking about. I pulled the microwave out, knocked a little hole in the ceiling above it, and then fished a wire over to the hole from the vent (after taking down the vent frame). Once i got the wire to above the microwave i knocked a hole in the back of one of the cabinets and ran it to behind the refrigerator where there was 12v. I don't remember the specifics because it was 3-4 years ago but I don't recall it being terribly difficult. I was always concerned that i might blow a fuse but we used it for several years and never had a problem. We have since sold the 31bhpr and bought a 33blpr that I need to do the same thing to. Hope that helps, dg
Thx. I will give that some serious thought.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

As Hankpage said, most ceiling lights are switched with a wall plate. Depending on how high the ceiling is where you're planning to install the fan, having the wall switch, especially if you seldom use the ceiling lights may be a benefit.

If you don't normally use the ceiling lights, just leave the light turned off and use the wall switch to turn the fan off and on. That will preclude your DW (possibly you also) from using a ladder to operate the fan. Of course you'll still need to open and close the fan, but during use, it would make turning it off and on much easier.

Just a thought........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
nwfla

I took the trim ring off the vent, found a wire, I'm pretty sure it goes to the ceiling lights, and as murphy's law goes, as I was using my test light on the wire and my test light probe broke, lol. I'll get another today or this week. I'll probably just use that switched wire. Plan on getting the remote control unit, my wife is too short to reach without a big step stool.
Don't plan on using the fan all the time, so it should not be too bad when I need it on, and having the ceiling light on, I converted to led's and it makes a huge difference with the light generated heat.