Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
jswalcott

Install location for power/surge protection

Hi All - have been reading and enjoying this forum since our trailer purchase last October, now I have a question to pose. I've read many of the threads on power/surge protection installs, and would like to permanently install a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. Most folks seem to place this near the power distribution/breaker panel. In our instance, it would seem easier from an install and remote display perspective to install this in the power cable storage box at the rear of the trailer (essentially at the junction box between the shore power cable and Romex wiring going to the distribution panel). There seems to be room to do this (can modify the storage box so the shore cable doesn't interfere with the EMS-HW30C), and it would make for an easy install of the remote display in the bunk area of the trailer. Any reason I should not proceed with installing in this location? Thanks in advance!
jswalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
randy69

Good idea...took some pictures of what your talking about. The pitchers are in community social groups lev 361

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Tinbender

On my Cougar 24RKS the shore power junction box is in the kitchen cabinets below 2 drawers. It was a simple matter to pull out the drawers remove the junction box and wire in the EMS-HW30C. I didn't care for any of the possible mounting locations available for the remote readout so I mounted it in the back of the top drawer. To check it just pull open the drawer.

If you mount the EMS to your cord storage box just be sure your screws don't penetrate to the inside to cause damage to your cord.

Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
jswalcott

Thanks for the input - in our Cougar 28RBSWE (signature info didn't show in my original post for some reason), the junction box is in the far back street side corner, inside the cord storage box. Seemed the perfect place to install this. Good tip on the screw length - given my luck, I'd push the cord right into a screw and short out my power protection!
jswalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Straasha

That is exactly where I installed mine. I removed the existing junction box and put the EMS-HW30C in its place. I put the remote display just under the bottom bunk next to the wardrobe.
Straasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, surge protection