Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
yeabuddy

leaving black tank full

Our trailer is parked on a seasonal site this year and after the long weekend our black tank read full right before leaving. I shut off the water, looked down the toilet and sure enough the "water" was just below the bottom of the drain. My question is... is it ok to leave it full for 2 weeks until we come back up so as to let the chemicals do their work (break down waste and tissue etc.) or should I empty it?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Scottinvt

I personally would empty it. Chemical is inexpensive to use. Just my 2 cents
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
MarkS

If the weather is cool, you might get away with it. If not, plan on going to air out the trailer for a couple of days before the DW will enter it.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
GaryWT

When we were seasonal we dumped on Friday when we arrived. Pull the handle as soon as you get there and then go add new chemicals right away after it has finished. Don't run your bathroom fan. An oder will not be in the camper. We did this for 11 years without a problem.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I had a lot next door to my beach house and mom got a 28ft Terry trailer to put on it. She and boyfriend would stay 5 or so days at a time every 3-4 weeks. He would not dump the black water tank and keep the gray open into the sewer. I show up in beween and it always smelled bad every time. I keep dumping it and telling him to do the same. After afew months I quit dumping it and mom told me after their last visit they would never leave it again without dumping. I won't say what she thought of the smell. It smelled inside and ouside.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
... let the chemicals do their work (break down waste and tissue etc.) or should I empty it?
Your RV tank is nothing like a septic where it is designed to "break down". Your RV holding tank is just a "holding tank". The chemicals - although they do use words like "break down" on the label - really does not contain any enzymes to break down the solids... Additionally, they poop simply is not in the tank long enough for this to occur. The chemicals are designed to hold down the odor long enough to allow you to fill it again during normal use - several days to two weeks.

I would dump the tank when leaving and the pre-fill it with a few gallons of water and the tank treatment of choice such that when I arrived next time, it was ready to go.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote