Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
TheBeans

Interior decor

I've been looking thru the various threads on the forums here but haven't run across any that pertain to mods/improvements for the smaller rigs, like ours.

We started camping with a small pop-up, went to a big pop-up and then went to a 32' Jayco and decided that it was just too much for us two when our son went off to college...so we downsized to our current rig (see signature below).

And, while I love the smallness/less-to-maintain of this rig, I have never been happy with the colors of the interior (brown brown brown and more brown) and I am baffled on what can be done to lighten it up inside! I've added some pops of tomato red (pillows, accents on existing brown curtains) and while I love how it livens up the inside, it's definitely a warm and cold-camping sort of cozy...and during the summer I want it to be light and airy!

I'm leaning toward a navy/white shirting-type of stripe for new curains and covering the valance (unless I decide to ditch the curtains altogether...still something I'm considering) and maybe recovering the cushions. Or getting covers? Any ideas? C'mon...help a woman out here!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Recovering and replacing pillows, curtains and any other fabric item is a good start. There are, however, some brownish items that will probably have to remain brown - cupboards and cupboard doors for example.

If you or your husband is handy, have a look at your countertops. If they are a dark laminate, perhaps they could be changed to a lighter tone.

What about your floor? If it is mostly lino (and brownish) could it be covered or replaced with a lighter shade or use a lighter carpet pieces like runners of some sort.

Does your fridge door have a flip over front to it? If it is black or dark, perhaps it can be replaced with something lighter? Stainless steel or white?

If any areas are wallpapered, can these sections be redone?

I know I've presented more questions than answers but you did say, "C'mon, help a woman out here."
Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
michol02

Not sure if you want to go this far, but painting the walls makes a big difference. Do an Internet search on "painting the interior walls of an rv". There's a lot of info and pics. Makes an rv look more like a cozy home.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
TheBeans

Good ideas all---thank you!! The only problem is that some of those would be permanent fixes...and I'm not sure how Mr. Bean would feel about them. He already has two cows and a canary when I comment on how cute the little old rigs from Sisters On The Fly are. However, I shall persevere!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
OldCountryBoy

I had an older motorhome (93), the walls had faded from whatever color they were to a pinkish color. No man can have a pink motorhome!!! I stripped all the wood work then sprayed a texture finish, using the spray touch up cans from Home Depot. Painted an off white color, then replaced all trim with oak to match the cabinetry. Worked out all right.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
RJ&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeans View Post
Good ideas all---thank you!! The only problem is that some of those would be permanent fixes...and I'm not sure how Mr. Bean would feel about them. He already has two cows and a canary when I comment on how cute the little old rigs from Sisters On The Fly are. However, I shall persevere!
I can so relate to your thoughts about the brownness. We bought our trailer about a month ago and have already made some pretty big changes. I took down the horrid border and replaced it with this cool product called smart tile. It didn't add much color, but it brought the kitchen backsplash into this decade anyway. I will be replacing the fabric on the valances next year probably. This year, I've just had fun accessorizing with light weight things such as pillows and new bedding. I'll post more pics at some point. I tried to bring in some lighter colors, but nothing seems to work except earth tones like reddish orange. I've also put up some artwork using Command Strips, so that hubby doesn't get upset over nail holes. Have fun and I'm sure whatever you decide to do will look great!

Ray & Jackie
2012 Keystone Springdale 5th Wheel
2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax
Our mods
RJ&S is offline   Reply With Quote