Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Interior Lights Dimming

During our last camping trip, our interior lights dimmed for a few seconds and then brightened again. This happened several times and it happened in two different campgrounds. Any ideas what would cause this???? All thoughts and opinions appreciated!!!!
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Ron

On our recent trip we had something similar and what it was is my DW had alot of 12 volt lights on so i think the converter was just adjusting to compensate for the power draw and keeping the battery fully charged. Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Your response brings up another thought. We have never had this happen before and we did not have any more lights on than usual but we did just install a new battery before this trip. Do you think there is a possibility that the battery is bad???
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Or it could be some other high draw item you don't necessarily control... Like the cooling fan for the converter kicking on/off.... or cooling fan for back-side of fridge kicking on/off...

What about a/c cycling?? Was a/c even running?

How about population of the park? While you are on your own breaker for your site, you are on a shared branch circuit with other campers.

I suspect something innocent like a fan cycling in your own camper however.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Ron

Possible battery is bad, i just traded in a 2011 327 and i think the converter was going out in it. The night before we traded we stayed on the dealears lot and the light were dimming up and down alot so maybe you have a converter problem going on?............Ron

Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Ron, is there anyway to check the converter? The campground was almost empty and we were the only camper on our row at the cg so I don't think it was a cg issue. I am leaning toward the converter or the battery. In fact, I think they dimmed once or twice before we replaced the battery. Really leaning toward the converter. Anyway to check it????? Is that an expensive item to replace??
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

When you noticed the dim/bright... how many 12v items (lights mostly) where running at the same time?

When in charge mode, the converter should be putting 13.x - 14.2 -ish volts to your batteries. You can check this at the post when plugged in.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Ron

I guess the first question is how often do the lights dim. What I would of done with the 327 if we kept it and the light were dimming quite often I would of put my voltage tester on a 12 volt circuit and see how much it differs in voltage. One thing I did do is when they went dim is go to my control panel and push the battery voltage button and it didn't show full charge then when light got bright it showed full charge. Probably another way to check but that's all I know from being around these things for years. As for the cost, I couldn't tell you how much but shouldn't be to bad. Good luck.........Ron

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Bob Landry

When you are plugged into shore power, the converter is providing all of th 12VDC used by the trailer. The battery is only being charged, nothing else. I havn't seen a converter smaller than 45A and that is more that enough to power every overhead light in a trailer plus the control for the fridge. Everything else is running on 115V. It's unlikely a bad battery is drawing down the converter. if that were the case, it would be a constant drain, and your lights would be constantly dim. but it's easy enough to veryfy. Simply disconnect the battery. If it happens at more than one campground, then shore power is eliminated. Measure the 115V input to the converter. You can measure this right off the circuit breaker that feeds th converter. If that doesn't fluctuate, that portion of the converter is good. You most likely have the part of the converter going out that supplies 12V. Come on, this stuff isn't that hard to troubleshoot with a little logic and understanding of how it works..
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Come on, this stuff isn't that hard to troubleshoot with a little logic and understanding of how it works..
Bob, I think that you would be the first to agree that someone who is not familiar with electricity should not be sticking their fingers where they don't belong. For some this is not a problem .... for those who don't feel comfortable, get someone qualified to check it out. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Hunter757

Tom and Kelly, is it just your 12V lights doing this or are the 110 doing it as well? If the 110V are you should inspect your trailer power cord ends. There has been some issues with loose wires in the plug.

We had the same problem with the 12V lights in our trailer first time out dim/bright look like a disco, the more lights that were on the worse it got. Our converter was replaced.

Hope you can resolve the issue soon, Happy Camping.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Tom and Kelley Crawford

It is just the 12v lights that are dimming, even when only one or two are on. 115 lights are fine. Camper is in for service and they are checking the converter for us. Will let you know if that is the culprit but we suspect it is.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Bob, I think that you would be the first to agree that someone who is not familiar with electricity should not be sticking their fingers where they don't belong. For some this is not a problem .... for those who don't feel comfortable, get someone qualified to check it out. JM2¢, Hank
Hank,

I agree with you. Actually my post was geared towards some of the armchair technicians who have never picked up a voltmeter, but because they heard something, they feel qualified to pass it on as practical experience, even though they may not have a clue how it works. I realize that everyone here really means well, but I have read suggestions on other forums as well as here, that had the potential to cause a lot of harm. As you pointed out, people who know nothing about electricity should not be giving pointers on how to troubleshoot it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
potsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kelley Crawford View Post
It is just the 12v lights that are dimming, even when only one or two are on. 115 lights are fine. Camper is in for service and they are checking the converter for us. Will let you know if that is the culprit but we suspect it is.
Tom,

i am having the exact same issue, what did the service trip discover? did they have to replace the converter?
potsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Kings

subscribing

Amor & Amor
2012 Sydney 328FRK
F250 King Ranch
Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
popsday

Lights dimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kelley Crawford View Post
During our last camping trip, our interior lights dimmed for a few seconds and then brightened again. This happened several times and it happened in two different campgrounds. Any ideas what would cause this???? All thoughts and opinions appreciated!!!!
I had this happend to me and found out the timpeture switch in converter box was bad and it would knot let the fan come on, replaced switch and problem was solved, hope this helps BOB
popsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
gwvwadc

We had the same thing happen to another TT a couple of years ago. Initially thought it was just the power in the campground that was funky.
Then the battery died. Replaced it and it wasn't too long before the new one was almost drained.
Ended up replacing the converter - problem solved.
IF you are out of warranty, shop around the Web for replacements. Found the exact one for our rig - $100 less than what the dealer wanted AND I was able to replace it myself (not difficult even though I am electrically challenged).
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
Outbackmel

Electrical issues and resolution

First: never second guess an electrical issue.

Second, the resolution: google and find a qualified RV licensed electrician. They can find your issue. Still unsure, take it to an RV center.

Third: enjoy your RV.

If you are not professionally schooled or trained in electricity, you may get hurt or killed. These rigs have an enormous amount of electric current when plugged in. Nothing for a novice to be poking and prodding around with unless you are looking for trouble, which you will likely find!

I respect the assistance I have received via this forum. I had two separate issues. BOTH were resolved by qualified RV techs. Most of us regular folk are simply not equipped to follow the electrical flows and determine cause and effect.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote