Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Brantel

New rig upgrades

We picked up our new rig a few weeks ago and so far here are the upgrades:

DONE:
  • JT's Strong Arms on the front landing gear
  • Installed scissor style stabilizer jacks on the rear
  • JT's Strong Arms on the rear stabilizer jacks (We wanted it a solid as possible and with kids in the back bunkhouse, the rear stabilizers really help!)
  • Solid steel skid rollers attached to the cargo hitch (to protect the stinky slinky tube and the aft mounted stabilizer jacks)
  • Main living area vent replaced with a MaxxFan Deluxe Mack Daddy model with remote
  • Main bathroom vent replaced with a MaxxFan Plus Mack Daddy model with remote and MaxAir FanMate cover (The deluxe model would not clear the plumbing vent)
  • Bedroom half bath vent upgraded with a MaxAir FanMate cover. (Maybe someday I will upgrade the fan to either a Deluxe or Plus, my hands are sore from dealing with all that sealant)
  • Swapped out the Trailer King road bombs to new Carlisle tires
  • Added a In-Command TPMS system and repeater
  • Added extra gate valves at each dump port to prevent surprises!
  • Our rig came with the recliner sofa instead of a trifold. This left about 8" of space between the ends of the sofa and the walls/dinette bench. I unscrewed it from the slide floor and moved it and the dinette bench to close the gaps. I then moved the dinette table to recenter it between the seats. This gives plenty of extra room for people to be more comfortable at the dinette table. I made a new plywood board to span the seats for making a bed. Now the dinette bed is usable by an adult with about 6'2" of length available.

In Progress/TODO:
  • 3 Solera Slide Toppers going on tomorrow
  • Adding second stinky slinky tube the same brand as the OEM (great price) tomorrow. This rig has dual dump ports so I need space for the extra hose.
  • Soon I will be proactively upgrading the slide bottoms to include slide bottom ski's on the living area slide and the bunkhouse slide. Also adding UHMW tape strips at regular intervals to the bottom between the ski's. I will also add Everbond tape over the horizontal trim pieces at the bottom. The wardrobe slide already has rollers and a hard plastic bottom. I will only be adding Everbond tape to the horizontal trim at the bottom on this slide.

Been a lot work but kinda fun....
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
BrooksFam

good list. I also like to personalize (do mods/upgrades to) almost everything...…..
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Wow! You've been at it! Lots of good mods to be sure. I'm liking the mods for the slide bottoms. They are my pet peeve and can become problematic. Great job and thanks for the update. I figure they might give some other folks some ideas.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Brantel

No way I am paying someone to do stuff I can do myself. I am just too hands on.

On the proactive slide upgrades, I think it is cheap insurance to delay the inevitable. The original design is almost guaranteed to fail in more ways than one.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I made a new plywood board to span the seats for making a bed. Now the dinette bed is usable by an adult with about 6'2" of length available.
Ahem... where did you say you were going camping again?...
Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Brantel

Oh, and the days of getting ski's for $20 must be over. The current source is a ridiculous price of $81 for a couple pieces of thin black plastic.....
Old 11-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Oh, and the days of getting ski's for $20 must be over. The current source is a ridiculous price of $81 for a couple pieces of thin black plastic.....

Make sure they are formed to fit up the sides and attach under the metal strips on the side.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Make sure they are formed to fit up the sides and attach under the metal strips on the side.
Yep, they are those kind. Plenty of vertical to get under there.

Tags
upgrade