Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
JoeofNSB

Filters for the floor vents.

The home stores sell some small filter material made for floor vents of forced air heat systems. I wonder if anyone has ever used them on an RV floor heat system. Your thoughts and advice are always appreciated!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
SteveC7010

I like the idea, but am concerned that the typical RV furnace won't have sufficient fan power to effectively move enough air through the filters to adequately heat the trailer. That would mean that the furnace would run for longer periods of time than normal, consume more fuel, and if dry camping, pull down the battery much sooner. It could lead to an overheating situation and a fire hazard.

We've also heard a number of reports of damaged and deformed heat ducts causing similar reductions in heating ability.

Additional fan power is fairly easy to add, especially if running the trailer on shore power.

I am not trying to discourage here, but more thinking out loud. If you decide to give it a try, keep us posted on how it goes.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
f6bits

I’m just wondering why you’d put a filter on the output end of the system rather than the input. But given Steve’s comments, even that doesn’t sound wise. My intake is right below the fridge and now I wonder why there’s no filtering in the heating system. The A/C has it.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
geo

Joe -

On our Alpine, I was concerned that the A/C / Heat Pump unit did not have an air filter. I ordered some filtering material and Velco mounted on magnets that attaches to the intake vents. Seems to work quite well and does not throttle the airflow down at all.

However, for the furnace - no, there is not a filtering device except the "still air" area of the basement (on our Alpine, again). However, on our unit, I can see how a filter could easily be adapted to the "under stair air passage" along with the basement air circulation I devised. Unfortunately, I don't think this helps you a bit.

But, in my investigations, it seems like there are several "delivery air" filtering systems. However, Steve is correct - filtering should be on the return side rather than the output side. Think about only this point - air returning to the furnace to be heated and distributed, should be "cleaned" before it hits the "hot box" where nasty reactions could be driven.

We also purchased two "desktop" small Honeywell air cleaning units we leave running most all the time. Just cleans the air of the living/kitchen and the bedroom in general.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
chuck&gail

As mentioned above, RV furnaces do NOT have excess air flow. Putting filters on input OR output is not a great idea.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
f6bits

I was just reading the specs on my furnace and they state that the return register needs to be something like 65 square inches. It would seem that if your register is double that, you would be able to put on a filter that cut the airflow in half. Something like that.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
mikell

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Joe -

On our Alpine, I was concerned that the A/C / Heat Pump unit did not have an air filter. I ordered some filtering material and Velco mounted on magnets that attaches to the intake vents. Seems to work quite well and does not throttle the airflow down at all.

Ron
Our Alpine has filters in the intakes of the heat pump and it's a pain taking them down and cleaning them
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
geo

Mikell -

I've often wondered if ours should have a filter. It does not. The filters I'm using are easy to change and not really that noticeable.

However, I think the two Honeywell filter units we got from HD do really well.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
mikell

They are glued to the backside of the inlet vents. Found them when poking aouund checking flows and such. So you have to remove the covers to get to them
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
They are glued to the backside of the inlet vents. Found them when poking aouund checking flows and such. So you have to remove the covers to get to them
Mikell -
Yup, checked there first thing. The inlet vent goes directly to the return duct work. Even went to the roof unit, pulled the cover off and checked there! Gave up and got the filtering material with Velcro magnets from Amazon. From the sounds of it, I think I'm happy I did!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
haffcke

floor vent filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeofNSB View Post
The home stores sell some small filter material made for floor vents of forced air heat systems. I wonder if anyone has ever used them on an RV floor heat system. Your thoughts and advice are always appreciated!
i believe what Joe is referring to is the filters that go just under the floor vents to keep trash, dirt and whatever else that can fall through the vents from doing so. i use them in my home and they don't seam to restrict air flow at all and i am going to install them in my TT also. Phil
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air filters, floor heat, register filters