Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
ljp

Flex Tape (Update)

Original thread posted 7-26-17.

Update:

Finally made an attempt to remove the Flex Tape. I purchased "Goof Off" (spray) at Home Depot and used this while heating the tape with an old low heat hair dryer. I was working in an outside temp of between 30-36 degrees and this likely had an impact on this process. To start, I sprayed a corner of the tape and used the heat, this only removed (some) of the facing of the tape from the adhesive. A substantial amount of adhesive remained on the trailer.

I continued spraying the "Goof Off" using low heat and slowly began to remove the adhesive with a plastic scraper. This was a slow process as the adhesive didn't want to give up & I didn't want to force the scraper to hard underneath the adhesive for fear of damaging the surface of the trailer. The adhesive would stick to itself and as it would release from the trailer it would begin to form into a ball and remain on top of the adhesive I slowly pushed behind it. I found the best way to remove the ball was to stop & allow the adhesive to cool. I then placed the scraper under the ball and forced it outward. Several attempts were made before I could get it to break away.

I got too close to one of the decals with the heat and an edge began to release. This was a small piece but it is noticeable. The "Goof Off" did not have any impact on the decals. Unfortunately, I placed the bulk of the Flex Tape over a decal when I could have avoided the decal altogether. I'll be trying other materials that could remove the remaining adhesive easier. I can't use heat on the adhesive that remains on the decal so I would like to find another adhesive remover that could make this job easier.

The TT has been taken to our dealer for window replacement and additional service. Weather permitting I will continue this removal when the trailer is returned. I would hope freezing weather will harden the adhesive that would allow it to be pulled off, this is something I will have to check.

All suggestions appreciated.....
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
MarcS

I don't know if it will work for you, but I've had good luck removing some adhesives with WD-40.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
kfxgreenie

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe...70_&dpSrc=srch

Not sure on gel coat, but they work on paint
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe...70_&dpSrc=srch

Not sure on gel coat, but they work on paint
The wheels also work great to remove decals, so (for the OP) be careful.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If it was me I'd start with calling the manufacturer of Flex Tape and asking for their recommendations on removal. I'm pretty sure that you're not the first one in this situation. Just another way of looking at this. Remember, doing it yourself does not mean doing it by yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
ljp

I contacted Flex Seal Products, maker of Flex Tape (1-800-313-8772).

I was advised they do not have an adhesive remover for their Flex Tape and they do not recommend any specific adhesive remover. I was further advised to contact a business that sells adhesive removers in an attempt to learn the best product to use. Surprised at their answer.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
I contacted Flex Seal Products, maker of Flex Tape (1-800-313-8772).

I was advised they do not have an adhesive remover for their Flex Tape and they do not recommend any specific adhesive remover. I was further advised to contact a business that sells adhesive removers in an attempt to learn the best product to use. Surprised at their answer.
It almost sounds like they're saying that Flex Seal is so good, once applied, it can't be removed..... Does the MSDS give any information on their other products that might have a "cleanup process" ? Seems to me that they would need a "safety process" to clean up a spill in the factory, but then, maybe they just apply a new coat over the old one ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
TheGriz

I used to make custom golf clubs and re-grip clubs (still do occasionally for close friends and family). I used this golf grip solvent to liquefy the glue on the grip tape. It also ALWAYS worked great to remove all kinds of remnant adhesives that bug us all. It also is very eco-friendly and has a pleasant citrus smell! It may be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-.../dp/B00SRI0TJO

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

That golf grip solvent sounds promising, but with that "nice citrus scent" I'd be very careful not to get it on the TPO roof. Any splash or overspray on the roof of the slide or the main coach could damage the TPO membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote