Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Freebirdusa

fresh water or city water

hi everyone. i recently used my fresh water holding tank for the first time. and i was amazed at how much shower pressure i had. my question is can you use the fresh water pump when hooked up to the the city water inlet to get good pressure? I think I kn
ow the answer which is NO. But does anyone ever just fill their fresh water tank and use the pump switch for good shower pressure?

2012 Keystone Sprinter 266 RBS

2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6-7 Diesel
Freebirdusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
2011 keystone

Most of the CG we stay at have very low water pressure. So we do fill the fresh water tank for showers but use the city water for dishes and any thing else we need water for
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
f6bits

How do you do that? I thought city water overrides the pump/fresh tank setup.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
SteveC7010

The water pump has a sensor in it that shuts the pump off when the system reaches a certain pressure, usually 45 psi. Most city water supplies should approach or exceed this level of pressure. If the city water is turned on in your rig, the pump should never turn itself on.

The only way to get the pump to function is to remove the city water pressure, usually by turning it off at the spigot.

If the pressure in the campground is really low, the pump may well run whenever you turn on a faucet. Depending on circumstances, that might not be such a good thing as the pump may try to pressurize the entire campground system.

One thing to always check when setting up is the pressure at the campground spigot. If the pressure seems decent there, but you have low pressure in the trailer, there may be a problem like a kinked hose or a clogged sediment filter at the trailer's city water connection.

(If you think about all these things, you begin to understand why folks recommend that both the water pump and the city water be shut off when leaving the trailer for any appreciable length of time.)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
2011 keystone

We just turn of the city water when its shower time. Works for us. Like I said the CG we spend alot of time at has VERY low water pressure.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Outbackmel

Good tip....water pressure

We have experienced total opposite with pressure. Every place has had excessive pressure and would have blown our lines had I not checked at hookup and put our regulator on them. HOWEVER, your point is excellent. Parked the info into my memory bank as I am sure we will encounter a low pressure situation in 2012 someplace. Our Outback is now 15 months old and we have never used the fresh water system...other than running water in/out to flush it as we do winterize it. I am 100% sure we will use it this spring as we return from AZ to GA once risk of freeze is gone.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote