Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Jrod1153

Expandable moisture

I bought my Keystone Passport 217exp in August 2015 (2016 model year). Love it...sort of. Interior cabin space is great, exterior storage sucks.

Here's my big issue...have you ever felt under the mattress in the morning... ours is always wet. Only solution we have come up with is flip up the mattress daily to dry or we have successfully used 2" pink panther styro insulation directly under mattress, both a pain in the a$$. We have tried many combinations of open/closed vents, heating & cooling. I'm hoping someone reads this & has a better solution
Jrod1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
66joej

Just wondering is the under bed storage open to the pass through? You may be getting moisture from outside. Just a thought.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Jrod1153

I wish it had pass through storage. The storage under bed is sealed. Interior access only. That's where the problem using the styrofoam insulation comes into play. You have to move that & matress to access that storage bin. Thanks for the thought & response.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Tbos

Is the moisture under the entire mattress or just the part that is hanging outside the TT? Per the website the 2017 model has doors to the storage from the inside of the TT. They also call it pass through? Maybe you can install some doors to eliminate the need to lift that mattress. It sounds like there is a lot of moisture in the TT and its condensing on the cool surface below the mattress after you warm it up. Usually the condensation would be on the canvas covers to the beds since they are the least insulated. Does it happen to the other beds too? I wonder if that beds platform/door isn't sealed properly and is leaking cold air into the TT. My folks camped in a tent camper for many years and I don't remember them ever having this issue. It was always on the canvas if we didn't vent enough. In the 238ML we had the front wall by the mattress would and the closets would get condensation if we didn't vent enough. My 2810 isn't as bad but we vent more too. The additional insulation you have used may be the only way to eliminate it. I don't think it would need to be a full 2" thick. A couple 1/2-3/4" closed cell foam exercise mats may also work and they would be easier to move. Hopefully some others with your rig will chime in.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
BricRoth

We have noticed the same thing on our 217exp. On ours it seems to only happen where the big hinges is between the body and the bunk door. The factory canvass cover over the hinge offers no insulation at all and I think this is where the cooler or damp air gets in on mine. We will try inexpensive yoga mats over the hinge on our next trip to see if this problem goes away and then come up with a plan to insulate this area. Condensation only appears on the bunks that have warm bodies in them at night. Never on the empty bunks for us, so I think it is insulation issue.

Bric
BricRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Jrod1153

Agreed bric

We find the moisture under any person sleeping. Even Away from the hinge. Let me know how the yoga mats work for you. Cause the pink insulation is a pain in the butt. Enjoy your next trip out
Old 07-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
SchafferFamily

You will find that this is a common condition in the spring and fall seasons when the condensation occurs more frequently, in Popup campers and hybrids. There are quite a few threads on Google for condensation and things that people have tried, like you have mentioned.

Often, you may find it more when you are using the heater as this location is the main line of cold vs warm in the camper during the night.

Generally it isn't a long term issue as they can dry out during the day when the temps are warmer. We have this as well in our 217, and we did in our Flagstaff popup before this.

2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Passport 217exp
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
jsmith948

We used to have condensation under the mattress and on the inside wall of the trailer's "nose". Didn't seem to matter whether we opened the roof vents a little or a lot. We used to stuff bathe towels between the end of the mattress and the front interior wall. Had occasion to remove the wooden shelf/'cubby hole' at the head of the bed in order to snake a wire from the overhead light and discovered that there was no insulation in the nose of the trailer - zero/zip/none! Bought a batt of insulation at Lowe's and lightly stuffed (avoiding any serious compression of the fiberglass) the nose cone. Have not had any condensation form along the wall by and under the mattress since.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote