Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
GMcKenzie

Replace cig lighter with USB & cig lighter.

Was reading the thread on the neat USB/cig lighter someone is installing and got thinking.

Does anyone have a part to a combination USB and cig lighter that will replace the 12v outlet that is already there? I've got the 12v power outlet by a shelf under the tv and usually use an adapter to charge my phone, but is there a replacement that would give me a couple USB and a power outlet in the same sized panel? Just a normal house sized panel.

Thanks.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Was reading the thread on the neat USB/cig lighter someone is installing and got thinking.

Does anyone have a part to a combination USB and cig lighter that will replace the 12v outlet that is already there? I've got the 12v power outlet by a shelf under the tv and usually use an adapter to charge my phone, but is there a replacement that would give me a couple USB and a power outlet in the same sized panel? Just a normal house sized panel.

Thanks.
Was thinking of doing that also. Look on Amazon.ca there are a lot of different variations. Can't decide on a particular combo.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
canesfan

There's a ton of those out there. You don't need to replace your current outlet even, you can just plug an adapter into it. You can of course replace it you want to.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Eletr...B7H5D80MRG0B4X
Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Just remember that the factory outlet contains the switch and booster for OTA tv reception. (antenna amplifier)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Just remember that the factory outlet contains the switch and booster for OTA tv reception. (antenna amplifier)
Some newer rigs have dedicated 12V combo cigarette lighter/USB "charging centers". Mine has two of these, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The TV booster switch in mine doesn't even have a 12V outlet anymore, nor did the last one come to think of it.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Remember these are modules supporting various functions such as but not limited to a Dual USB ports, 12VDC cigarette female socket, meter, etc. The OP's picture showed them mounted in a three hole flat plate, there are also two hole plates, as well as surface mounted housings think called "tent" having different number holes. Using two screws this tent housings mount on a flat surface, no need to drill holes

Okay back to my point, those interchangeable modules fit in a hole a little over 1" in diameter, so one could use say a normal plastic single gang blank electrical cover and drill two holes in it say for one dual USB and one 12VDC female socket.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Remember these are modules supporting various functions such as but not limited to a Dual USB ports, 12VDC cigarette female socket, meter, etc. The OP's picture showed them mounted in a three hole flat plate, there are also two hole plates, as well as surface mounted housings think called "tent" having different number holes. Using two screws this tent housings mount on a flat surface, no need to drill holes

Okay back to my point, those interchangeable modules fit in a hole a little over 1" in diameter, so one could use say a normal plastic single gang blank electrical cover and drill two holes in it say for one dual USB and one 12VDC female socket.
That's an idea. Then I could still mount the booster switch. I had not thought about it. I use a 12v adapter, it just looks messy to me.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Was not aware or forgot you were talking about the plate with the antenna amp switch. Could mount a second plate next to the original or use one of these cigarette type adapters such as two USB ports, that plus an extra 12v socket,....... etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

There are 2,3 or 4 hole plates available to mount a variety of different components into these plates. If you're looking for a power switch to operate the meter function or even to use as a power switch for the entire panel, a switch that fits one of the holes is available. That might make your installation "cleaner" and keep all of the functions on the plate. Then you wouldn't have an "extra switch" mounted elsewhere.

Here's some pictures of the 4 gang plate, switch and other components, as you can see from the back, depending on how you wire the switch, it can control a part or all of the remaining panel components.

I haven't seen an "inline" 4 gang plate, but I haven't really looked for one. I'm sure they are available if that's preferred.

Here's the Amazon link to the 4 gang plate assembly: https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Charge...=cllena+switch

Individual switches are also available: https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Rocker...=cllena+switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB PANEL WITH SWITCH.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	11969   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB PANEL WITH SWITCH1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	11970   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB PANEL WITH SWITCH2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	11971  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Keep in mind that these same individual modules also fit in surface mount units (no need for large holes) just hole for wire. Think they are refered to as tents and available at same sites offering the modules. I have seen those capable of housing one or two modules. There may be larger ones
Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Here is one example, I have one with capability of housing two modules, Nice if you do not want to drill big holes. Thought I also seen on ebay where you can buy the housing only.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10900028-.../dp/B00NIOBC0C
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

The items that fit into the plates, USB outlet, volt meters, etc require a fairly deep opening.

The back wall of my entertainment center, where the cig power outlet and antenna amp switch are is not deep enough to install one of these (I know because I bought one of the two hole models) so I am working on a way around it, because I really want to add some 12V USB outlets.

-Brian
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Have you considered the surface mount option?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Brian,

Have you considered mounting it (drilling the holes) in the framework immediately above your stereo? That's where I mounted mine. I removed the stereo, drilled the 3 holes, used the power wire for the stereo to power the three components and then slipped the stereo back into position. On my entertainment system framework, that piece is a 1x3 so there was more than enough room. If yours is different, you can also consider the framework above the storage shelf to the right of the stereo or possibly the 1x6 that's between the two cabinet doors above the TV or below the stereo on the center of either cabinet... Just possible options. I found that the 1x3 gives the the component plate much more rigidity than it would have had if mounted on the 1/8" luan wallboard. With all the plugging in and pulling out of the USB connectors, that "cheap luan wall" won't hold screws if you've got a "clutz" using the charger.... Don't ask me how I know, but screws don't hold well in that thin luan wallboard.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 AM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Have you considered the surface mount option?
I have not seen anything like that, is it just a box you mount to the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brian,

Have you considered mounting it (drilling the holes) in the framework immediately above your stereo? That's where I mounted mine. I removed the stereo, drilled the 3 holes, used the power wire for the stereo to power the three components and then slipped the stereo back into position. On my entertainment system framework, that piece is a 1x3 so there was more than enough room. If yours is different, you can also consider the framework above the storage shelf to the right of the stereo or possibly the 1x6 that's between the two cabinet doors above the TV or below the stereo on the center of either cabinet... Just possible options. I found that the 1x3 gives the the component plate much more rigidity than it would have had if mounted on the 1/8" luan wallboard. With all the plugging in and pulling out of the USB connectors, that "cheap luan wall" won't hold screws if you've got a "clutz" using the charger.... Don't ask me how I know, but screws don't hold well in that thin luan wallboard.......
Thanks for the advice John, I have not really dug into it too much yet, but I did find some wood outlet covers, at home depot and they are about a 1/4 inch thick, which would be just enough clearance to allow me to attach the wires to the outlets.

I will post pictures of how ever it works out

-Brian

Tags
light