Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Richard Noble

Liquid Roof

Has anyone redone their EPDM roof using a liquid pour, brush or trowel on product? I've been looking at a few products that will go directly over the EPDM and some of the reviews are reporting good results. Looks like lots of prep work and lots of application work but the finished product seems worth it.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Chief206

What products are you looking at? What is the benefit of the liquid roof ?
Chief206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I did two using a Dicor product at a previous dealership. LOTS of prep and you have to follow the instructions real close for it to work.

Would I recommend it? If you have the time to do it right, it does seem to work, I left that dealership before the two customers could report any issues or failures, but I find by the time you pay for all the other stuff needed to so the job, you've doubled your cost. Directions say to cover sidewall of unit since your first step is a strong nasty cleaner that you have to apply with a sprayer. Then let it sit for 15-30 minutes before you rinse with a pressure washer. It will stain the side and the stain really doesn't want to come off.

Then it has to dry completely, and the application should be done in the shade. I wasn't able to as we didn't have a "shop" to put the RV's in so as I applied the coating I was hard pressed to keep a wet edge.

You get the idea. Not really a DIY project, but to each their own. Will I do my roof? NOPE, I would rather lay new membrane. May be more $$ but if done right should last a LOT longer than the paint/roll on stuff.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:51 AM   #4
cpaulsen

roof

I did Liquid Roof on an older Aljo 5th wheel back in 2006. It worked great! It is a little work to get it on.....but when done it looked like a brand new roof. When I traded it in on another 5ver.....the RV dealership said it looked like it had a brand new rubber roof on it. Talked to a guy who bought it a few years later and he had never had a problem and said it still looked like new! I used about 3 gallons of the product at 60 bucks a gallon.....well worth it!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:16 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If I remember it was $90.00/gal last year.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Richard Noble

Thanks for the replies. I am just beginning to research this and have not studied any specific product yet. I like Dicor products as a whole. I will have to do it outside so that is a factor to consider. I think it will be next summer for this project since I have a lot of items to get off the check list this summer.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

There may be some confusion here with "Liquid roof" and simple roof coatings. I have used "Koolseal" roof coating in the past with very good results. A good cleaning, primer coat (pale blue so you can see coverage) and then one or two coats of finish product. It looked like a new roof for the two years that I had it and seemed to stay cleaner than the original roof with no black streaks. Patches with Eternabond (spl) tape were no longer visible and if the Cougar needed it, I would not hesitate to do it again. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
dcg9381

Are you doing it yourself? I've read about at least come-to-you service for a liquid roof, they're quoting about 1/3 of the cost of a new rubber roof and generally get good feedback. Capable of re-doing roof deck if necessary.

Retail cost on my roof replacement for a 37.5' trailer (rubber roof) was about $8000. No new decking.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're considering a replacement roof, you might want to consider Line-X. Yup, the same stuff that's sprayed in pickup boxes as a liner. There are a number of RV's around this area that have been sprayed several years ago, and they all look "good as new". Pricing is about half the cost of a new EPDM or TPO roof (or less). I'm sure the local labor rate has a significant impact on the final cost. Around here, it's running about $90 per hour.

Just another option to consider......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

Bed liner is pretty tough stuff.

I saw a cable show about making blast resistant walls out of cinder block sprayed with it.

Does it come in colors other than black?

-Brian
Old 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Bed liner is pretty tough stuff.

I saw a cable show about making blast resistant walls out of cinder block sprayed with it.

Does it come in colors other than black?

-Brian
Herculiner makes a grey color and Grizzley Grip has a rainbow of colors.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
...Does it come in colors other than black?

-Brian
Line-X comes in many colors. The dealer here (an auto body shop) can "custom mix" to match any color truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
the sodfather

I had an old Coleman pop up that the top shell was all cracked up. I covered it in Mobile Coat from Snow Coat and it did a fine job.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote