Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
dcg9381

James,
Glad you had a good outcome. I've been looking into this a lot - it's happened on other Keystone models. Some dealers are moving away from using Alpha TPO as it's "smooth" on the underside, although personally, I can't see that this is the issue.

I've read about warranty denial on this <12 months IF the roof detaches from front seam. In some of those cases, it seems that Keystone can call "maintenance" - if air gets under the TPO all bets are off and it's a chicken or egg situation.

I caught my issue reasonably early as the membrane cut itself up on the AC mount, but before it detached itself from the front. Keystone's fix in my case is to replace the entire membrane. That seems to be the difference in your out-of-warranty repair and an in-warranty repair, although I don't see why your repair wouldn't work just as well.

Yours isn't the only repair I've seen Keystone cover out of warranty. What I've observed in every one of those cases is a dealer who documents that the roof is sealed properly outside of the TPO coming up.

Alpha considers these "installation" failures due to improper amount of glue or technique used to bond the TPO to the OSB after the glue is applied. Keystone is probably Alpha's biggest customer.

How well the roof replacement/repair goes seems to be entirely up to the skill of the dealer doing the repair. In at least one case, pulling up the roof pulls up some of the OSB. Keystone's warranty excludes "cosmetic" issues on the roof - so as long as it doesn't leak, you're not going to get a 2nd chance to repair a roof that a dealer makes a mess of... Your repair looks really good!

Estimates on a "new roof" for a 37' trailer, $6000-$8000 around here. Most of that is labor.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
HDCVO

I am happy to report, that after appealing to dealer, Keystone has stepped up and authorized to repair the roof on my 2014 Fuzion. This is the same problem others have reported and discussed about the TPO membrane separating from substrate and making contact with AC unit. Dealer is to install new TPO from behind AC to cap. Won't know about details until old material is removed to check condition of OSB board. I will post outcome when repairs are complete in about 2 weeks. Ken
HDCVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
Nitrodoctor

So it will no longer be a one piece roof?
Nitrodoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
dfb
Gone Traveling

I really miss the Aluminum roofs.. No 15 year warranty needed! Also, the gel coat looks nice, For a while... I wish they would give you an aluminum exterior option.. No need to buff and paint or to re do.... Aluminum ALWAYS looked good.. Easier to repair too...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Rubber roof de-laminating on 2012 fuzion

Aluminum siding requires lots of "hands on" labor to construct a sidewall. Each piece is stapled in place and openings are cut with sizzors. Vacuum bonded walls are one piece and openings are zipped out quickly with a router.

Some "lower end" brands still use the aluminum slats, and yeah if you know what your doing a repair can be easier, but on the down side leaning on that type of exterior can cause dents and such. To each their own, but I'll take the vacuum bonded walls all day long.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I really miss the Aluminum roofs.. No 15 year warranty needed! Also, the gel coat looks nice, For a while... I wish they would give you an aluminum exterior option.. No need to buff and paint or to re do.... Aluminum ALWAYS looked good.. Easier to repair too...
If you've ever had the "misfortune" of owning a Holiday Rambler (aluminum siding and roof) and experiencing a hailstorm, you'll welcome fiberglass and EPDM/TPO trailers......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:06 AM   #27
TexasKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by James262 View Post
I was on the roof of my 2012 Fuzion this weekend hanging cd's from the awning to keep the birds away and found some pleats or ripples in the rubber roof material. There is also a rip next to the front a/c unit caused(I suspect)by the material rubbing on the units side flashing. The first 12 or so feet of the roof appears to have de-laminated and is flapping in the wind as I drive down the road. I see I am not the only one to have been lucky enough to have this issue with a newer TH, I am in contact with the dealer and Keystone awaiting a reply. Has anyone had this repaired by Keystone or did you foot the bill. Is the warranty only a year on the roof? Really? 80G's for a Rig and only a year on the Roof?
I have the exact problem with my 2015 Sprinter. I have used in on 6 trips and it is always stored inside my garage. I took it to the dealer and they said it was installed wrong. Keystone told me it was out of warranty by 1 month. I have been trying to get this corrected and they agreed to replace only 10 ft of the roof. I didnt pay 40k for a trailer with a seam and will not accept it. They have been informed from the dealer as well as me that it was not installed correctly but they still say repair. I have wrote emails to the CEO, of course it has not been answered, I call them everyday and will continue until they replace my roof. I called an attorney and will utilize legal action if required. They will not accept ownwership of their faulty manufacturing. I have seen several forum posting along with this one with the same issue. My dealer is standing with me in that they know it was not put on correctly. I will keep u posted on my outcome.
TexasKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #28
dcg9381

Kevin,
have you seen what your dealer has submitted? Even if you have to pursue legal action - you'll want documentation that indicates "installed incorrectly" from the dealer. How the dealer writes that up may be a part of the issue.

Our roof did the same thing. Service manager said he'd never seen another unit do that, but when I was in the service bay the techs told me that they'd done several new units...

I was quoted 8-9k for a new roof on a 37' trailer. I think it's a high margin deal, probably less than $2k in supplies. My dealer turned ours around (once they started on it) in 48 hours.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote