Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Bryant

Winter camping

The Polar Package was one of the selling points on the Cougar. We are planning a trip to Illinois this Christmas. How do I keep the water lines from freezing with the low point drains hanging down? Any problems with holding tanks?
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The enclosed under-belly helps but you only get heat to tanks and valves when the furnace is running. (And even then very little) I cut three short pieces of ¾ pipe insulation and cable tie around low-points and fresh drain. Not sure it helps but I feel better. Best bet is to travel with empty tanks and lines. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Bryant

thanks Hank, heat tape not needed when hooked up?
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
Heat tape on supply hose and faucet is needed below freezing. Although many winter camp these trailers are at best three season trailers. Hopefully those that do winter camp will give you some tips.

It's hard to think about winter when it's 90° F + outside, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
hankaye

Bryant, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I full time in mine and have survived the last 2 winters in Central Utah.

Heat tape your fresh water line into the trailer, Get some of the foam 3/4" tube type insulation and wrap that around the hose and heat tape. Be sure that you do NOT enclose the thermostate in the insulation... I would suggest keeping the tank's valves closed till you HAVE to dump. I sometimes put a 32 oz. cup of ice melt in the tanks when I know it's gonna be really cold (we get into the MINUS 30's and 40's here and we won't see the warm side of PLUS 10 till a month or so later... That coupled with the motion on the road will / should loosen things up so you can dump when you need to. If you have a 5er and the kitchen drain line and valve are exposed add a heat tape and the wrap around style insulation. I'll be diong that this fall, also have to rig up a place inside the basement to plug it into.

I "normaly" dig-in (use plywood skirting I was in a TT then), keeps the belly a tad warmer and keeps the wind from causing things to get any cooler. I take it that you are/ will be visiting for a few days to a week so that isn't feasiable for you.

Hope that helps some.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
campingcpl

We camp in the Dakota's sometimes into late fall and early winter with temps that stay below freezing even during the day. We have found that a lot of the parks have the water shut off when it starts getting that cold. Usually they have frost free hydrants that we can fill the holding tank. A couple of ways we keep things from freezing up was to add heat tape around the termination valves and then wraped with a little pipe insulation. That has been enough to keep our tanks from freezing along with adding a little rv antifreeze to both the grey and black tank. As for the fresh water tank they have stick on 12 volt and 120 volt tank heaters that you can get that work pretty good to keep things from freezing up. You can also put these on the grey and black tanks. As for the low point drains I have never really had a problem with them freezing up because ours come out right next to the water heater and the heat from the water heater is just enough to keep the pipes from freezing. But like hankpage, I think that the foam pipe insulation helps give a little piece of mind, if it works or not. We have the Polar Package on our unit and we still prep things for freezing conditions! Personally when I think of a "Polar Package", I think it would come with something better then R7 rated insulation, thermal windows, insulated holding tanks with tank heaters, a larger furnace or a heat pump, and a truely "sealed" underbelly.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

can't we just enjoy to warm weather for a little bit yet. its too early to think aoubt it being could
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
hankaye

cumminsdad08, Howdy;

Guess I'm one of those Fix the heater in the Summer and fix the A/C in the winter folks. That way I KNOW they're ready for when I need it/them.

Generally the prices are lower during the off season and the urgency factor is way down.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
mhs4771

Another thing you can do is get some large truck windshield shades or buy a roll of the material from CW and cover most of the windows, especially on the side where the weather normally comes from. Works to help keep cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote