Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
GaryWT

John you bring up a good point. Some Rams have low payload figures to start with. The unloaded trailer might have been close. Something to look at for sure.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Just doing the "quick math" I came to that conclusion. Here's what I saw:

Dry Tongue Weight: 900
propane/battery: 100
2 teen daughters: 250
D/W: 125
Hitch head & bars: 75
Total "dry" payload: 1450

And that's before adding anything on this "extensive need/want list"

So, by the time this "stuff" gets added to the mix, it's likely not all going to fit in that trailer (even though it is 36' long) and some of that will be carried in the truck bed adding to the payload.

Trying to manage that kind of load and stay under the truck's payload is going to be a "Barnum & Bailey" kind of circus.....

All I can do is wish Richard6959 good luck getting all this in the "package" and staying under his payload. As for towing..... 'nuff's been said already".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #23
lspajm

Go camping close to home a few times and then you can come up with a list of what you really need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Richard6959

Whew, appreciate everyone's opinion and input. We are weighing everything that goes in or on so that we can monitor the weight. Wife and kids holding the laundry basket while stepping on the bathroom scale. Its not science but its will be close enough. We are keeping a list so that we can see where all the weight is. If we start to get heavy, the wife and kids will have to stay Seriously, we will lighten the load if it becomes necessary. Or if we find that hard to do... I'll just have to upgrade the truck... break my little heart it wouldn't.

Let me also say, for this move, my wife will be driving her Jeep Laredo with a lot of the extra clothes, food, dogs etc.

I'm a little adventurous, but not completely insane. Circus? Maybe I could sell tickets for gas money.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

At some point - and not too far down the road - I would highly recommend that you take your truck and TT to a weigh scale. (You can add this small but very important expense to your very lengthy list). Put everything in the truck - teenage daughters, wife, dog(s), whatever else you can't cram into your RV that you plan on taking camping with you.

I am thinking of the time when you are not "part-time full-timing, will be "on the road" and actually towing your TT from A to B to C to ....

When you hit the scales and get some real weight figures, I'd like to see what they are if you don't mind sharing them with us.

To echo what others have already pondered......"Why so much stuff? Why do you need all this stuff NOW"? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
vampress_me

Umm...can I say thank you? I now don't feel so bad at what I spent. When we bought ours this spring, I had $500 to outfit it. Cooking, bedding, tools, everything except the B&W Companion, and the poo chute stuff the hubby wanted. I probably had too much fun finding really good deals/coupons since I refused to cheap out on the cookware and silverware. But I have decided the $1.99 can opener has to go before next year, that was a waste of $2!

To be fair, I should probably include the new Honda generator I just picked up in MT last week. But at least there was no sales tax!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
outwest

My list is never ending. And I keep finding stuff that I never thought about adding. *laf* For example, I recently bought one of those 9' x 12' woven mats to put out under awning area. Even in places where awning isn't put out it's still nice to have for when it rains, etc. Nice to not have to wade wet grass when getting in and out of trailer. I never thought about buying one of those, but am glad I did.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #28
wbatto

More Stuff............

Hello,
We started camping 6 years ago, I am sure your super excited as we were and congratulations. when we started out I wanted all kinds of thing for my Rv, after a couple of years about 1/3 of it ended up in yard sales. our problem was the stuff is nice to have but you only have so much room to store it. After digging thru the cubby 25 time for the things I used each time we went camping I did some sole searching and sorted it out. Another thing we tend to do is in the winter time is if we can't use it in the house it would be nice to have in the camper Sooooooo every spring I end up sorting stuff out before we go camping. I know it's hard but after you go a few time and talk to different folks who are camping you'll figure out what you need and want. Just my two cents and have fun thats the main thing
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #29
mom2budnbug

Wow, that is quite the list! I agree, you need to get out and camp! During our first month of camping, we would keep a list of things that we felt we needed to add to the trailer. We have had the trailer for over a year now, figure we have spent over 30 nights in it, and are now to a point of removing some of the "stuff" that we felt we really needed and never use. Enjoy your trailer and camping.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #30
billandjan

Camping World has everything, but there are less expensive places to purchase the basics, like Wal-Mart.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #31
summerhummer

There is no doubt camping can be expensive. There is alot to get. I just had a few questions as I may want some of this stuff myself I just don't know what it is.. For example....

Slide cable dry lube – Cost: $20...I haven't located this yet how often should I be using it ?
Wifi Ranger Antenna – Cost: $350 Not sure what this does?

JD Stabilizer system – Cost: $250Not sure what this does. Does it go between the tires to stop shaking while parked ?

Lap seal (Wrong color, used anyway) – Cost $10
Where is this used on a 2014 trailer? I understand why we seal but it should be good for at least 6 months- 1year from the factory. I am not thinking about this till my 1 year anniversary... Part of the blessing of buying a new rig.

Mop – Cost: $10 I have 2 kids and lucky to not have needed this yet. Not
sure where I would store it but still a good idea...

50 foot/ 50amp extension cord – Cost: $100 SO I assume this is to extended your existing cord? My factory one is pretty long. never had an issue reaching with 10 trips thus far.

Sewer kit - Cost: $30??? Not sure what this is as I see other sewer related hoses above.

2 vent shades – Cost: $25
1 vent shade cushion – Cost: $10 ?
Vent cover – Cost: $25
Not sure what these vent shades /covers are can someone explain or show a picture?

Awning sun screen – Cost: $80
Dos this hang off the awning?
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #32
Jim & DJ

All I can say is "WOW"
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhummer View Post
There is no doubt camping can be expensive. There is alot to get. I just had a few questions as I may want some of this stuff myself I just don't know what it is.. For example....

Slide cable dry lube – Cost: $20...I haven't located this yet how often should I be using it ?
Any can of dry lube spray will do just fine in this and many other applications. Way less than $20

Wifi Ranger Antenna – Cost: $350 Not sure what this does?
It boosts/increases WiFi reception in a campground. Only necessary if the CG hasn't an easy access to WiFi --- like you have to go to the office.

JD Stabilizer system – Cost: $250Not sure what this does. Does it go between the tires to stop shaking while parked ?
It stabilizes the RV and goes between the frame and the front/rear jacks. Not a bad investment at all.

Lap seal (Wrong color, used anyway) – Cost $10
Where is this used on a 2014 trailer? I understand why we seal but it should be good for at least 6 months- 1year from the factory. I am not thinking about this till my 1 year anniversary... Part of the blessing of buying a new rig.
Sealant -both self-leveling and non self-leveling are good to have on hand.

Mop – Cost: $10 I have 2 kids and lucky to not have needed this yet. Not
sure where I would store it but still a good idea...
We get by with a cloth and some water.

50 foot/ 50amp extension cord – Cost: $100 SO I assume this is to extended your existing cord? My factory one is pretty long. never had an issue reaching with 10 trips thus far.
Shouldn't have to park your rig more than 50ft from a pedestal. A luxury item IMO.

Sewer kit - Cost: $30??? Not sure what this is as I see other sewer related hoses above.
The kit has different attachments for your sewer hose to fit various CG sewer intakes. They are not all the same connections from one CG to another.
2 vent shades – Cost: $25
1 vent shade cushion – Cost: $10 ?
Vent cover – Cost: $25
Not sure what these vent shades /covers are can someone explain or show a picture?
[I]Keeps sunlight and heat out of the clear vents - especially in bathroom shower area.[/]

Awning sun screen – Cost: $80
A screen that hangs down from the awning to keep the sun - at a low angle - from hitting the sides of the RV and to provide a bit more shade when sitting under the awning. Not a bad idea.
Dos this hang off the awning?
Yes.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #34
summerhummer

Hello that for sure helps. The only question I have is on the JD stablizers. I guess I can google that. But thanks again this helps my understanding for sure....
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #35
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhummer View Post
Hello that for sure helps. The only question I have is on the JD stablizers. I guess I can google that. But thanks again this helps my understanding for sure....
There are 3 popular brands of stabilizers: Steadyfast, JT StrongArms, and BAL. Steadyfast comes highly recommended by many of our members who have them but those and JT StrongArms are the most expensive of the group.

As you said, Google each one for details and pricing and check out videos by the manufacturer and YouTube.

If you have a lot of movement in the RV, they perform quite well in reducing it and can be installed by the owner.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Steve S

You spent $10.00 on a mop? Do you not have dollar stores where you live?
Have you been out camping yet

Hey here's a pic that I send my friend's when they ask me what they need to take camping with them! lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10418497_10152512372857912_3032068646531856888_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	7169