Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Richardrichss

Crushed Black Tank/Possible Frame Damage?

I had my first pretty major screw up pulling a trailer today. A little feedback--I've been pulling trailers my whole life. I've always taken pride in my backing skills. I work in an industry where we preach using a spotter no matter how familiar you are with the space in front of and behind you. Of course, people seldom practice in their personal lives what they preach in their professional.....

I was backing my camper up to a space that I have backed into multiple times. I looked as I approached the space and all looked normal. My wife offered to get out and spot me, but I thought I could get close before I needed her. Something abruptly stopped me when backing in. I pulled forward to see what I had hit. Oh boy.

It was a fairly large log that was near the back of the space that I hit. It pushed the jack up into the belly lining, possibly bending the frame where it mounts, crushed the black tank spilling it's contents (treated water and some minor usage-2 gallons tops) and tore the lining.

We came back down out of the mountains where we could get signal. I called the dealer in Rock Springs and they let me know that it would sit there a while before it could be looked at as they are short a technician. I called the dealer in Salt Lake, and based upon what I told him, he figured it would sit on his lot for about a month after he looked at it while parts came in. He also quoted me $115/hr shop rate. He suggested trying a smaller dealer where I lived. I called the Jayco dealer here and they will take a look tomorrow.

My guess is this will turn into an insurance claim. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but am not afraid to tackle the smaller projects. I'm told that getting the manifolding correct on your tanks can be a project. I really prefer that the job is done right.

Does anyone have any feedback on what to expect here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	6853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	6854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	6855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	6856  
Richardrichss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Things happen, and then you take a deep breath and keep going.

From the location of your black tank/rear stabilizers, it wouldn't be really difficult to pull the jacks, roll the coroplast forward, exposing the tank. Once you find out how much damage is done, there are some quality tank repair kits that will patch the damage and hold as well as an undamaged tank. If you should choose that route, all of the work would be essentially within the realm of a competent handyman with limited skills.

If, however, a dealership is going to look at your damage and give you suggestions/estimates for repair, I'd discuss with him what he thinks of repairing the tank vs replacing it. Either way, insurance will cover most except for your deductible, so it comes down to how long it would take to get a replacement tank as opposed to getting a repair kit and doing the patch.

If the replacement tank is available I'd go that way, but if there's a 4-6 week delay for the tank to be delivered, then you'll need to weigh all your options.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
GaryWT

It is a shame that the tank is in that area. Good luck, how all goes well and quick.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Kristi

Yikes! Look on the bright side, It could always be worse. Hope someone can get the repairs done in time for you to enjoy the rest of the season!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
kellydog98

Getting this done RIGHT should be your utmost priority. I wouldn't go for any patch kit. I might be swayed to patch a grey tank or fresh water but not the black tank, for obviouse reasons. Would hate to be out on my first trip when the tank was holding until.... Good Luck and welcome to the OOPS club.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
mazboy123

repairs

just some thoughts.....if you can figure out what parts are needed, like the tank, you can always get it shipped overnight delivery. more money but there is that trade off of getting it back on the road.

here are some tank costs, if you have a high deduction you probably can pay for the costs without the insurance claim. ( i am assuming it is just a damaged tank and some other misc. things.)
I would estimate it'll cost you about $1K
good luck
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote