Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Bentmaple5

Reversing a dinette and sofa

We took our Passport Elite 28BH out for it maiden voyage/shakedown trip . Our in-laws came with us, which gave us extra eyes looking for issues, and sense of what camping with extra people will be like. Other than some shore power voltage issues, it was a great trip and we started a good honey-do list.

Of all the issues we found the biggest was the inconvenient location of the sofa bed. The sofa on the 28BH sits in the slide and it has a fold out air mattress. When folded out and inflated the bedroom users cannot access the bathroom in the middle of the night. We have to run outside, which is fine when you are A) not pregnant as my wife is, and B) it is not raining or butt cold outside.

I was looking at picture of the Elite 33BH and noticed the sofa bed and dinette are in a different location, which got me thinking... can my current setup be reversed. I figured before I tore my camper apart, I'd ask if anybody here has done something similar? I am also curious if there is anything I may be overlooking (initial brainstorming thoughts are below).

Some of the things I have thought of right now are as follows, let me know if I may be overlooking something: 1) there are no appliances in the dinette benches (water heater, water pump); 2) the holes left in the carpet and wall by the dinette will be covered by the sofa; 3) the holes in the wall left by the sofa will be covered by the dinette; 4) I need to confirm, but I believe the lights and windows are equal centers from the slide corners, so nothing should look goofy; 5) there may be an issue with the dinette booth currently against the wall not having a finish panel; 6) I have to be careful reattaching everything to the floor so as to not drive the screws through the slide floor.

Anything else, warranty implications?

for you time, I am learning so much on this forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior - Front Overview.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	6522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior - Rear Overview.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	6523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior - Sofa and Dinette.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	6524  
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
KanTC

Bentmaple,

Great idea to brainstorm 'first' before doing all of that work And, not that it's relevant to your decision, but the 33BH floorplan
shows the same sofa/booth arrangement as your 28BH http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/#/floorplans

That said, are you sure that switching the sofa & booth will allow better access to the bath? From the photos, it appears the foot of
the bed may reach the stove/frig, which would block any walk-way. Plus, the curve of the kitchen counter may also be an issue.
Sorry for stating the obvious but, if you haven't already done so, be sure to measure everything first & include the width/depth
of the sofa. If you switch them, will you still have access to an "outlet" to inflate the bed?
Not trying to change your mind, just adding some more food for thought.

Anytime you modify/change something there's always the potential for *warranty implications*... is that likely to happen??... ummm,
probably not, but just be aware that it "could".

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
camper 2010

You may have a problem with the clearance between the dinette and sink cabinet with slide in. Does the dinette stick our a few inches more than the sofa?
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Bentmaple5

Hey Guys thanks for the comments. I took everything into consideration and measured twice.

On Saturday I took is to task, it was a bit more involved than I initially thought. namely I had to remove the paneling on the dinette back, and a flip the trim pieces that were on the slide, but I think this will be the best modification we ever do to this trailer.

Oh, and I was looking at pictures on Lerch RV's site. That is where I got the idea from. http://www.lerchrv.com/listing/2014-...lite-33bh-8625. Perhaps the builders have some leeway, or they realized how stupid the layout is.

I will post pics when I have better lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	6598  
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Philbert

You have the right idea. We have a new Passport Elite 33Bh and had the same question. the sofa was placed across from the sink area and when folded out was too close to get by. I think at the factory they put them in either way. I switched ours around and works better. I am sure it was easier for me since we have a free standing table and chairs, just four mounting screws.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
dm1401

We have the same layout, after you did the swap and the air bed is out, do you still have access to the bunks lower, and the ladder for the upper bunk, or is there enough clearances?
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Bentmaple5

dm1401, yes there is about 14" between the ladder and the bed. The attached picture does not show the clearance at the bed, but it gives you an idea of what kind of space you have around the kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Dave in Va

Nice job. How is the seat back attached to the slide? It's just 2 of us, so 2 chairs instead of the uncomfortable benches would be great. And the table could be made to free stand.

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Bentmaple5

Dave in Va,

Pull the leather/vinyl trim off. Then pry the plywood off the seat back. Under the plywood are three screws. Remove those and the ones in the floor and the booths pop right out. The trim piece (see the attached picture) may be a problem, but not an insurmountable problem.

Brian
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
Dave in Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentmaple5 View Post
Dave in Va,

Pull the leather/vinyl trim off. Then pry the plywood off the seat back. Under the plywood are three screws. Remove those and the ones in the floor and the booths pop right out. The trim piece (see the attached picture) may be a problem, but not an insurmountable problem.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. This helps a lot.

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote