Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
tirnanah

Turn Trailer Jack

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I just can't find it... Just got my 323BH home and I'd like to turn the tongue jack sideways so that I don't have to disconnect the truck just to open the tail gate... However, after trying a little bit, I can't get the jack in a position that the bolt holes line up and I can still get the cover to the propane tanks on and off... I know that the bolts provide the ground to the jack.

Is it possible to drill new holes in the receiver at the appropriate spots and just bolt the heck out of it? Will it still ground properly with bolts going through the holes instead of screwing in to the receiver?

I just need to turn it 90 degrees (I'm thinking to the drivers side for ease) so the tailgate will open... I plan to use good stainless steel bolts, washers, and lock washers to make sure it is good and secure...

Thanks in advance!
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
So Cal CPA

Is it the handle that's in the way?

My tailgate would not fold down because of the jack handle. I bought an electric tongue jack - problem solved. i would by the electric jack before I went making more holes in the frame. Just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
BulletOwner1

If I understand you correctly, you have an electric jack that interferes with the tail gate? If I were to do what you suggest I would use "star washers" instead of lock washers on the bolts. They are the washers that look like little pinwheels and will dig through the paint better to make a more positive ground. I converted my TT from a manual jack to an electric one and the star washers came with it. I just installed them on the underside of the head of the bolt and used the threaded holes for the bolts with washers.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
tirnanah

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear... The 323 came with an electric jack, not a manual... And yes the "head" of the jack is in the way of the tailgate.

I never though about using the star washers. I'll pick up some of those in addition to the standard lock washers. I thought about manually scrapping some of the paint off also in order to make sure I still get a good ground...

Thanks for the thoughts and info!
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote