Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
pookie210

Awning add-on...

Our Cougar 327res has a much smaller awning than we had on the old CruiseMaster. Tossing around the idea of adding an awning on the dinette slide. Anyone done this or researched the process? Is it easy enough to install an electric/automatic awning or should we only consider manual as an add-on? Don't think weight would be an issue but that is something to consider as well. Other thought is to just go with the window type awnings for some added shade. Suggestions...

Cheers!!
The McKinney's

pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
GaryWT

Would it have to go on the slide or could it go above the slide? This is one of the reasons I do not like front slides as they take up outdoor living space. If there is electric near by then a power awning is probably just as easy. I have seen trailers and 5th wheels that come with 2 awnings.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
KanTC

pookie,

I'd say much would depend on how you use your RV - that is, whether you travel to various places -OR- you have a seasonal
site & know the amount of space (site width) available.

If you travel, an actual awning on the street (driver's) side of the RV may not be very practical given the width of
most RV sites... (generally speaking) chances are, you may not have enough room to extend it & be of any benefit.

If you're simply wanting to shade the windows (& interior) of the dining slide-out, consider some type of window awnings.
In 2010, we added them to our Laredo & they were worth every penny since we live in the desert & typically don't have
shade We bought the "mesh, see-thru" ones by Carefree... they don't block the view (like the full-vinyl versions) but
do block the sun!

There are other brands available, and here's another (newer) design. http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/ca...t&productid=57

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00440.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6230  
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie210 View Post
Our Cougar 327res has a much smaller awning than we had on the old CruiseMaster. Tossing around the idea of adding an awning on the dinette slide. Anyone done this or researched the process? Is it easy enough to install an electric/automatic awning or should we only consider manual as an add-on? Don't think weight would be an issue but that is something to consider as well. Other thought is to just go with the window type awnings for some added shade. Suggestions...
I have considered it!
That said I have not investigated the idea. I saw lots of awning on dinette slides while we at the beach late May. Several models have this on that slide. most all were attached to the slide not the main body.
IF you follow up please post about your experiences.
KanTC it would expand the outdoor covered arae. That 12-14 awning on the 327RES is almost usless for an out door cooking station or shade. IF you cook you have to make sure you dont block your basement door. if you set up this way to cook then you are always walking out of your way out of your campsite. I understand his pain.

Thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
pookie210

Thanks for the information and thoughts. KanTC, will definitely look at the Carefree products. Like the idea of mesh versus standard vinyl to keep the view. This might be a 2015 upgrade (shhh...don't tell DH) so we have some time to look at other rigs and see what else other's are doing.

Cheers!!
The McKinney's

pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
ctpd814

If you are just looking for additional outdoor living space, have you considered a pop up canopy. It would give you more usable space than an awning and you can easily add screens or side walls if you choose. They can also be moved around to optimize your camp space. I also believe it would be much less expensive.

Here is an example:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-In...-x-10/16677097
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
GaryWT

quote:I'd say much would depend on how you use your RV - that is, whether you travel to various places -OR- you have a seasonal
site & know the amount of space (site width) available.

I believe there dining slide is on the front not the back so for the most part the space is the same. I had the same thought at first.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote