Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Pulln

5th wheel stabilizer

We have only had the 5er out a few times but from trip one we realized we needed a 5th wheel stabilizer tripod. I have a trailair tri-glide pin box and not sure what sort of tripod we should but for our setup. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There has been a recent as well as past discussion about tripods and their effectiveness in stabilizing the front of the 5th wheel. While there are a few folks who find them useful, the majority who have tried them do not find them effective - including this poster.

I would be more inclined to look at a permanent installation and much more effective system such as the BAL,Strongarm or the Steadyfast. While these are more expensive, they do the job much better and do away with the storage issues created by the tripod.

Want to buy my tripod? Very cheap but you pay the shipping.

My recommendation would be to save your $$$ for the tripod and spend it on one of the permanent systems.

Do a forum search and you will find plenty of information about these.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
There has been a recent as well as past discussion about tripods and their effectiveness in stabilizing the front of the 5th wheel. While there are a few folks who find them useful, the majority who have tried them do not find them effective - including this poster.

I would be more inclined to look at a permanent installation and much more effective system such as the BAL,Strongarm or the Steadyfast. While these are more expensive, they do the job much better and do away with the storage issues created by the tripod.

Want to buy my tripod? Very cheap but you pay the shipping.

My recommendation would be to save your $$$ for the tripod and spend it on one of the permanent systems.

Do a forum search and you will find plenty of information about these.

Wow, I did not know about permanently installed systems. I've only seen a few tripods but then again I am still very much a newbie to 5th wheel camping. Festus you are always a great help; I genuinely appreciate the speedy reply. If I decide to go with the tripod I will check back to see if yours is still on the market before I buy.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
KanTC

Pulln,

We (also) didn't find the tripod to be all that effective, plus they're generally big & bulky to lug around.
We purchased JT Strongarms when we bought our Laredo in 2010, and the tripod has been collecting dust since then.
The Steadyfast system appears to be a good product too. There are several threads on the forum about both brands.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Pulln,

We (also) didn't find the tripod to be all that effective, plus they're generally big & bulky to lug around.
We purchased JT Strongarms when we bought our Laredo in 2010, and the tripod has been collecting dust since then.
The Steadyfast system appears to be a good product too. There are several threads on the forum about both brands.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot

Thanks Terri. I am definitely leaning towards the strongarm or steadyfast. In terms of set up and storage I think this will score a high metric on the WAF, wife acceptance factor, scale and am sure the kids would take to it very quickly.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
FTWingRiders

I put the SteadyFast on our new 325SRX 5'er. Difference was night and day. A bit pricey, but after installed, the wife was very happy!!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

A third option, BAL Lock Arm Stabilizing bars. They are about $75 for a set of two. It takes 2 sets to attach the same as the steadyfast system. That's about $150 to do the same thing as the Steadyfast does for $285. The other option, JT Strongarm is also in the $250-275 range.

I'm sure people who have an installed system and like it will recommend that one, but I haven't heard anyone who is not happy with any of the three.

If I were currently looking for a system for my Cougar, I wouldn't consider a pin tripod, I'd go with one of the above, the BAL, Steadyfast or JT Strongarm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
dhn

We have Steadyfast on our 29rbs. We have not had any problems with them, except to loosen them when I get ready to raise or lower the jacks. I researched the others, and read reviews on tripods and decided on the Steadyfast system. Called and talked to them and they answered all my questions. Got rid of most of the shaking.
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

when the snow clears I am going to put a steady fast system on my unit. if your in Connecticut pm me and you can have my tripod. it was money not well spent. I use it to hang halloween decorations from it! I was in a fellows camper that had a steady fast system. I could believe how solid it felt! if we get more snow my camper will be fully skirted
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn View Post
We have Steadyfast on our 29rbs. We have not had any problems with them, except to loosen them when I get ready to raise or lower the jacks. I researched the others, and read reviews on tripods and decided on the Steadyfast system. Called and talked to them and they answered all my questions. Got rid of most of the shaking.
I did the same.. I used Steadyfast, personal decision. I am sure one might be as good as the other.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
when the snow clears I am going to put a steady fast system on my unit. if your in Connecticut pm me and you can have my tripod. it was money not well spent. I use it to hang Halloween decorations from it! I was in a fellows camper that had a steady fast system. I could believe how solid it felt! if we get more snow my camper will be fully skirted
Steadyfast system, It is solid and just sometimes because I have not removed the tripod from the camper I use it too. Get it out of the storage bay and keeps me from running into pin box with my noggin..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Mover480

+1 Steadyfast on our 325SRX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
concours

We borrowed a tripod and saw little difference so went with BAL's on the front and rear, the Fiver is as steady as a rock with those, set up is easy and storage is not a factor DIY install needs very little skill.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Dutch & Di

Bi Pods just didn't work for us and neither did an additional set of arm jacks at the rear of our coach. Permanently installed stabilizers were the way to go for us. No interior movement, no movement in windy conditions and the best part was nothing for DH to put up, take down or find a place to store.
Almost 9 years of using them and it sure makes life a breeze. Hugs, Di