Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
Dlawhun

Sway Control System - Keep or Let Go?

I'm very soon parting w/ my 2018 Keystone Hideout as it's been declared Totaled by Ins. My question for the forum: Is there standard protocol for whether to keep any components of the Sway Control system? I have the hitch, sway bars, L-pins & RV tongue frame brackets--I apologize up front for any rookie mislabeling. I have all the components removed except the RV tongue brackets that the sway bars rest on & are secured in place via Hitch snap L-pins. Do/should I 1) let all the components go w/ the RV, 2) keep what I've got removed & let the tongue brackets go or 3) try to hustle & get the tongue brackets off?

We're likely to get another TT (bumper pull) very soon, but not sure if it'll be new or used.

Sorry for the short notice.
Dlawhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the WD/sway is rated for your new trailer I would keep it. I would give the insurance co a courtesy call, as I have seen them go after owners that removed components.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Chuck posted, let the insurance company know that you're taking the hitch and sway control with you. Those components are not a part of the trailer. They did not come from Keystone and are an "add on device" to tow the trailer. You wouldn't take your receiver or brake control off the truck to "toss into the trailer that was totalled" as they are "add on components for towing, not part of the truck or the trailer.

If you have any other personal items in the trailer, such as a TV, fans, small appliances, extra chairs or mattress pads that you've added to the trailer, unless the insurance company is going to buy them from you, they also are not a part of what you bought from Keystone and insured with the insurance company. That said, if the insurance company insured your personal belongings and the personal belongings were lost or destroyed, then payment for them should be included on the itemized list of "damaged/lost items". If they were not damaged/lost and are not included on the list of what the insurance company is paying you for damaged items, then they still belong to you and not the insurance company.

In other words, take your pillows, your blankets, your lawn chairs and your hitch with you, they aren't part of the trailer. They're your "personal belongings"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:25 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the above. When they totalled the trailer they didn't compensate you for that hitch. As they can run $1000 I would be keeping the entire thing, brackets and all for installation on the next trailer. If about the same weight you'll be good to go. If heavier or lighter it's just the bars so I wouldn't be throwing that money away for the hitch....or anything else in/in it not from the factory.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:44 AM   #5
Dlawhun

Thanks for the prompt feedback / guidance. I let all components go w/ the RV.
Dlawhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
TXiceman

I would clean out anything in the trailer that I could unbolt. Batteries, propane tanks, TV, etc. What you can't use, sell in market place.

Ken
Old 08-10-2023, 04:50 AM   #7
dutchmensport

As others stated, remove everything that that is add-on and not original factory. Everything from propane tanks to your weight distribution. If it's not welded to the camper, keep it. You are not getting a penny more for leaving it. Yes, remove battery, any personal items, even the television if you've added one.

In other words, as my insurance agent explained to me about personal property in an RV,.... "If you took the camper and turned it upside down and shook it, whatever falls out is your personal property." You are NOT getting anything extra or more money for leaving anything behind. Keep it. If nothing else, you'll find someone who can use that stuff an you can gift it to them.

Tags
sway control