Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
mj5150

Recliner handle broke

Howdy friends.
What you see in the picture is where the handle to release the recliner foot rest broke on our 2017 Raptor 412TS.
I don't see how it's fixable as is, so we'll need to replace the entire cable assembly. No biggie, those are cheap and easy to find.
The issue is getting to the screws that mount the handle. It looks impossible without partially disassembling the recliner. I haven't had to deal with this before, so maybe there is a fix that I'm not seeing?
Has anyone done this repair, and be willing to share their tips or tricks? Did you mount the handle assembly somewhere else?
Thank you for helping out.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

On most, the easy way is to pull it out from the wall slightly, tip it over on the front, so the bottom is exposed and access it from the bottom.

I've seen a couple of "modular recliners" where the arm must come off to get to the locking mechanism, but I haven't seen one of those in at least 3 or 4 years. Maybe it's because that kind doesn't break or maybe they stopped using them ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
mj5150

There is no access from the bottom, and you can see why with this view from the top. It's like they screwed in the mount, then nailed a piece of wood over it during chair assembly.
It feels like a mean trick someone played on us.
The other two recliners we have, the mount screws are accessible. I'm not sure why this one is not.
Unless I'm missing something, we'll have to live with the recliner not working or engineer a new mount.

-Mike
Old 10-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
There is no access from the bottom, and you can see why with this view from the top. It's like they screwed in the mount, then nailed a piece of wood over it during chair assembly.
It feels like a mean trick someone played on us.
The other two recliners we have, the mount screws are accessible. I'm not sure why this one is not.
Unless I'm missing something, we'll have to live with the recliner not working or engineer a new mount.

-Mike
I’ve had to do this repair myself. Like John mentioned, all I had to do was remove the chair which was attached to the adjacent chair to my left. Tipped it over, and saw that I could remove the arm of the chair to get to the release mount. Once I removed the arm, I removed the cable assembly, did some measurements, and was able to order some replacements from Amazon. I had the release cable replaced in a few days and it’s been working fine since then.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What he said: Once you turn the chair upside down, if you look carefully, you'll find 4 bolts that hold the arm to the chair body. Remove those 4 nuts/washers and the arm will separate from the sofa. That will give you access to the reclining mechanism and the release lever.

Turn the chair "on it's head" and you should see how the arm is attached. On many, access is available without removing the arm, on some, disassembly required is the "only means of access"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
mj5150

I found a row of long wood screws that look like they hold the arm to the frame. I backed out a couple, but there is no play in the arm. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
Here's what I'm seeing. To the right of the front of the chair, where the footrest pops out.

-Mike
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
mj5150

I got the arm off, removing all six screws and then the metal frame as well to get to one screw behind an arm of the metal frame.

Anyone know the specifics on the replacement cable? I ordered one that has 4.75" from the tip of the plastic mounting clip to the end of the z tip. It fits, but there's some slack in the cable when not in use.
I've seen some advertised with 3.25" length. That seems too short, but there would be no slack.
Thoughts?

-Mike
Old 10-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
mj5150

I verified with Lippert. The cable with the 4.75" length from z-tip to the plastic mount is the right one.
For anyone who comes after me looking to do this fix, it's part number 381462 on the Lippert website. Here's a direct link: https://store.lci1.com/parachute-pull-long-381462.html.
You can find them on Amazon and other places for less than a quarter of what Lippert is charging. That's what I did.
Everything is all back together, but now I have a new problem. The arm is loose and wobbly, and feels like it'll break off if I were to lean too hard on it or use it for a pillow.
I'm going to pick up more wood screws or maybe a long bolt and try using that with a nut and washer in a few places.

-Mike
Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
mj5150

Everything is back together and working fine.
I tossed the old screws and used new screws in new holes.
First I pre-drilled each one with a tapered bit, then used a star head deck/framing screw similar to a self drilling metal screw.
Everything cinched up nice and tight.
If it happens again, I'll probably switch out to a nut and bolt config since that'll be way easier to take apart.
One thing I did notice is whoever put this recliner together was lacking on the drill/screw gun skills. Not a single one was screwed in straight. They were each at some wacky angle, and a couple were so stripped I had to use a special bit to back them out.
Add another experience under my belt as a fifth wheel homeowner. Thank you JRTJH and John&Genny for your contributions. They were helpful.
Hopefully this thread is of some value to someone else down the road.

-Mike
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
One thing I did notice is whoever put this recliner together was lacking on the drill/screw gun skills. Not a single one was screwed in straight. They were each at some wacky angle, and a couple were so stripped I had to use a special bit to back them out.
He was probably anxious to get back to assembling cabinetry with his stapler.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
John&Genny

No problem Mike, glad to be of help. Happy reclining!
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
neergn

Quote:
I verified with Lippert. The cable with the 4.75" length from z-tip to the plastic mount is the right one.
For anyone who comes after me looking to do this fix, it's part number 381462 on the Lippert website. Here's a direct link: https://store.lci1.com/parachute-pull-long-381462.html.
You can find them on Amazon and other places for less than a quarter of what Lippert is charging. That's what I did.
Everything is all back together, but now I have a new problem. The arm is loose and wobbly, and feels like it'll break off if I were to lean too hard on it or use it for a pillow.
I'm going to pick up more wood screws or maybe a long bolt and try using that with a nut and washer in a few places.

-Mike
Do you have the amazon part number?
neergn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
mj5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by neergn View Post
I don't see an Amazon part number on our order, but if you search for this it should take you to it: Alemon Sofa Replacement Parts-Universal Recliner Cable with S Tip.
I hope that helps.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neergn View Post
Try this link: https://www.amazon.com/CBTONE-Reclin...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Two "cable pulls" for $9. That's less than 10% of what lippert is charging.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
d-ring, parachute, recliner