Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
canadianguy

Springdale SRT - Solar

Hi All,
Recently purchased a 2016 Keystone Springdale 240 SRT. Exactly what I was looking for in terms of trailer. It happened to come with a simple solar panel installed on the roof. The dealer told me they thought it was 90 watts - it doesn't have much of a control unit inside - just an LED that lights to indicate that the solar is charging the batteries (I have two 6V's installed).

Does anyone have the specs on the solar panel? I looked at it and it seems tiny for 90watts. the solar wasn't really a buying decision point for me - so I take it's presence as as a bonus to my purchase. But that being said would like to hear from anyone who actually has one to get their experience.
Thanks!
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy View Post

Does anyone have the specs on the solar panel? I looked at it and it seems tiny for 90watts. the solar wasn't really a buying decision point for me - so I take it's presence as as a bonus to my purchase. But that being said would like to hear from anyone who actually has one to get their experience.
Thanks!
Without knowing anything about the panel - other than it "could be" 90 watts, it's almost impossible to provide you with any specs on it. Are there any identifying marks on it, such as a model or part number, that could help in identifying the brand?

I have an 85watt Kyrocera solar panel (not roof mounted) and could provide you with some feedback about that panel but not able to give you any info about your particular one.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Lundy

I have the 2013 232 SRT Springdale (not built anymore) with the factory solar panel. I believe it is the same panel that you have, very small. I took the measurements of that panel to a RV solar installer and they said it was about a 15 watt panel. After trying it for awhile in full summer sunlight it wouldn't even keep my 2 12v batteries fully charged. The parasitic drains from the unit where more than the solar output. I eventually installed 2 150w panels and a Morningstar controller and have not looked back. I haven't used my generator or a battery charger since. By far the best mod I have done.
How do you like your SRT? They are hard to find, I had to drive 700 miles to purchase mine.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
shov

If your able to access the mounting hardware, you could remove the solar panel and on the back side should be an information sticker.
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
canadianguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
I have the 2013 232 SRT Springdale (not built anymore) with the factory solar panel. I believe it is the same panel that you have, very small. I took the measurements of that panel to a RV solar installer and they said it was about a 15 watt panel. After trying it for awhile in full summer sunlight it wouldn't even keep my 2 12v batteries fully charged. The parasitic drains from the unit where more than the solar output. I eventually installed 2 150w panels and a Morningstar controller and have not looked back. I haven't used my generator or a battery charger since. By far the best mod I have done.
How do you like your SRT? They are hard to find, I had to drive 700 miles to purchase mine.
thanks for the reply - that's pretty much what I figured as well. I will likely upgrade it next year.

I just picked up the trailer last weekend so I haven't really had a chance to give it a good try. I think it will suit our needs just fine. I really like the larger capacity tanks for dry camping. I spend a lot of time in smaller non serviced forestry sites so appreciate the lift, better tires etc. We had a hybrid trailer before so will appreciate the solid walls and insulation!
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote