Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
John can you parallel different brand and size generators?
if you try this first call the Fire Dept to "standby" then get someone to watch and video so we can all see the fireworks. Seriousy not a good idea unless you verify from the manufacturer that it's campatible. Unless you are looking for an excuse to but 2 new gensets then I say go for it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
if you try this first call the Fire Dept to "standby" then get someone to watch and video so we can all see the fireworks. Seriousy not a good idea unless you verify from the manufacturer that it's campatible. Unless you are looking for an excuse to but 2 new gensets then I say go for it.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
Ccrew

We had the 3500 Predator, never really had an issue with it other than it's 125lbs loaded with fuel and it's not inconsequential to get on/off the truck. Not as young as I used to be. Had it 2 years and sold it for $400

Bought 2x 2200 Hondas, that can ride in the toolbox and are easier to deal with. Besides the fact that the Predator was quieter than both Hondas running together *and* the runtime was longer on the Predator it really wasn't that much of an upgrade to the Hondas other than pocketbook a lot lighter. Not like they fired up and the angels sung like some would tell us.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
TXMikey59

I've got the Wen 56380i and have been very happy with it. Purchased it last August when we bought our Passport 19RB. The geni handles the A/C and fridge with no problems, and performed like a champ during the Texas blackout. We were without power for 56 hours and the generator ran non-stop the entire time to power our refrigerator, space heater, and TV. Only issue I've had was some hard starting issues. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it off and problem disappeared.

During the frigid temps (-1 to 19) had to refill gas about every 4 hrs with a 3/4 load.

Buddy purchased same model after I got mine and he has been very happy with his as well.
TXMikey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #25
JbajaoLemke

I really wanted to by a Honda over the years but I just could not bring myself to spend that much. I know they are great and you get what you pay for. I purchased a Champion RV ready 3500 open frame 4 years ago for my off grid cabin. It has a remote start/stop, has worked flawlessly, and runs everything I need including air conditioning. I since then upgraded to their newest Champion RV ready Digital open frame with remote start/ stop and eco mode. Really like it so far. I have ran both units through the night to run the AC and they have used about 2ish gallons of gas. A little price to pay to be comfortable.

I debated back and forth over a new Champion and the Predator. The price of the Predator went up last year and seems that it is not coming back down. It also did not have the remote start/stop.

Since it is stationary, I converted an old chest freezer into a climate controlled storage shed with a thermostatically controlled fan and I monitor the inside temp with a remote outdoor thermometer. Placed 50 feet behind my cabin, I barely hear it.

I know different setup than a travel trailer, but just sharing my experience with the Champion line.
JbajaoLemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #26
FlyboyD8

First, I have never seen a open frame.generator that was sold since the 90s without a spark arrester screen in the Muffler, of the 4 I have owned they all came with them and 2 of the Generacs I owned also had cataletic mufflers. so i find your 99% rule way off!

If I was in the market for a new Generator the only choice for me would be the open Frame 3500 Hybrid inverter sold by Champion!

Ken
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyD8 View Post
First, I have never seen a open frame.generator that was sold since the 90s without a spark arrester screen in the Muffler, of the 4 I have owned they all came with them and 2 of the Generacs I owned also had cataletic mufflers. so i find your 99% rule way off!

If I was in the market for a new Generator the only choice for me would be the open Frame 3500 Hybrid inverter sold by Champion!

Ken
According to the Champion Generator website, the open frame inverter generators are "50% quieter"...(compared to what???)

They are listed at 64-69 dB, depending on model. Most of the conventional open frame generators are rated at 68 dB. Both the inverter and conventional open frame are approximately the same noise level, it's just that the inverter will "throttle down" and produce less noise depending on load. At 75-100% load, the open frame inverter sounds "just like a contractor generator"... LOUD .....

Traditional (closed frame) inverter generators on the same website are listed at 54-59 dB. That's an average of 10 dB less noise from a closed frame inverter generator or, that's an average of 10 dB more noise from an open frame inverter generator....

Side by side, there's no comparison between the noise output of a closed frame and an open frame Champion of the same size, both running with the same load.

When comparing an open frame INVERTER generator to an open frame CONVENTIONAL generator, you're right, the inverter generator makes less noise. With the open frame CONVENTIONAL generator, you can't hear yourself think or carry on a conversation. With an open frame INVERTER generator, you can "almost" hear yourself think, but you're still not carrying on a conversation while standing next to it if it's output is 50-75%.....

If you're in the market for a "new generator" to use in a campground, at least in one that has noise standards (national forest/national park/etc) the "open frame inverter generators (at least from Champion) don't meet the noise standard.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #28
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I have no experience using either of these generators, however I had considered buying the Predator. I feel it’s important to share the reason I bought another brand. The testimonials I read all sounded fine and I’m pretty sure it would have functioned fine. My problem is, it is too tall to fit in the bed of my Silverado, and still be able to close the sliding bed cover. Most other brands have a lower profile.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #29
FlyboyD8

And why should I care what your choice is? :-)

At least we are getting our post counts up!

Ken
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #30
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I know you said the Cummings Onan P4500i was pricey, but if you want something that works very, very well, you'll never regret getting this one. It does have the 30 amp RV socket on it also. Dry weight is a little over 100 pounds, but it runs quiet, has wheels, battery start with a remote, and can be used in parallel with a second one for 50 amp if you get the kit. The only problem is, I wish I had a cover for them (I have 2) that when traveling, the covers would not blow off. I haven't found anything I like yet. But the generators are fantastic! You might want to reconsider.
We made a cover from a truck bed cover, sides made 3" longer with grommets and used bungie hooks across the bottom. This was on a welded cage mounted to the bumper. Was a smaller 1700 coleman gen that we had on a 97 fifth wheel for music festivals and power outages. Never took it out of the cage to run or fill fluids but did vibrate the camper while making coffee and charging battery in the morning.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #31
Zixxer2Go

Pulsar PG4500iSR 4500W (Quiet) Generator here...

As others, we waited endlessly for a good price drop on the Predator, but in searching found this higher capacity Pulsar at $700 shipped from eBay

We've not used it much, but it has started and run flawlessly (and quietly!) each time we've exercised it. Seemed like a very good contender to the Predator 3500, higher output, a little lower cost.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #32
Buckeyexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I have no experience using either of these generators, however I had considered buying the Predator. I feel it’s important to share the reason I bought another brand. The testimonials I read all sounded fine and I’m pretty sure it would have functioned fine. My problem is, it is too tall to fit in the bed of my Silverado, and still be able to close the sliding bed cover. Most other brands have a lower profile.

Good point. That’s one of things I also like about the wen. It fits under my low profile roll up bed cover.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #33
rlh1957

Open Frame Generators are poor etiquette in parks and close proximity camping.
If boon-docking where noise is no concern maybe.

Check and confirm the spark arrestor is on the open frame generator. Many do not have them and are illegal to use in State and National Parks.
Starting a fire is even worse.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #34
Firefighterbri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I know you said the Cummings Onan P4500i was pricey, but if you want something that works very, very well, you'll never regret getting this one. It does have the 30 amp RV socket on it also. Dry weight is a little over 100 pounds, but it runs quiet, has wheels, battery start with a remote, and can be used in parallel with a second one for 50 amp if you get the kit. The only problem is, I wish I had a cover for them (I have 2) that when traveling, the covers would not blow off. I haven't found anything I like yet. But the generators are fantastic! You might want to reconsider.
The cummins 4500 is the same generator as the westinghouse 4500, just blue in color and often slightly cheaper. I found mine on Amazon for around $900 with free shipping vs cummins over $1000. It powers my outback fiver with no problem and is very quiet.
Firefighterbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #35
Miloski

I have the WEN 3800 watt and it starts and runs great. The only thing I think I would do different would to be to buy two of the 2000 or 2350 watts. Most of the time when we use the generator we don't need to run the A/C. One or two smaller ones would be easier to move and carry around.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote