Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Robby9

C'mon Keystone

The main slide on my 31SQB would not open due to an electrical problem that I could not figure out. I cut open the underbelly to get to the manual override only to find that Keystone failed to put a hex head\wrench adapter on the round override shaft. Furthermore, the round shaft is too big to fit in a drill chuck. I'm pretty annoyed that keystone failed to provide an emergency override that could not be used in an emergency.

After some head scratching, I drug the camper battery under the trailer and used jumper cables to get juice directly to the motor and the slide came right out. I found the short circuit later that night and fixed it. (Bad crimp on a wiring harness)
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
GaryWT

So there was no adaptor in a draw or the bag of books that came with the rid? We have the piece that we would need right in the camper.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
So there was no adaptor in a draw or the bag of books that came with the rid? We have the piece that we would need right in the camper.
More than likely the dealer stole it to resale like mine did.. told me it was an extra accessory not included..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Hercules1978

Now that I think about it, I only have the 1/4" adapter for the wardrobe slide, and the stabilizing jack override handle.

Where is the manual retract for the dinette/sofa slide on a 31SQB?
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Carrnutt

POOP!!! Now I realize I didn't get that adapter nor my socket for the power jack in my 31SQB paperwork bag... Well it kinda goes with the fact that I didn't even get the Refer manual LOL
2003 Dodge 3500 Laramie
https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3eggbarc.pnghttps://rs791.pbsrc.com/albums/yy200/...all-1.jpg~c100https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...psp0c7xac6.jpg
Carrnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Robby9

To answer the questions:
-no, the adapter was not in the paperwork bag or hidden elsewhere in the trailer.
-the manual override is located under the camper near the front steps. There is a square patch of plastic screwed to the underbelly to mark the location.

Frankly, the notion of needing an adapter never occurred to me. On both of my previous Forest River TT's the wrench adapter was the same size as that used on the leveling jacks and was already attached to the override. I assumed that if I ever needed the manual override on the Cougar, then I'd be able to use my drill with the leveling jack socket. That would've worked fine if the hex adapter had been supplied.

Another issue for you 31sqb owners- try checking the breakers/fuses with your slide in some time. The slide closes off the hallway where the breaker panel is located. To get to the fuse box you have to crawl over the dinette and squeeze through a crack that is only about 10" wide. If you're overweight or disabled you're out of luck.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I think it would be much like practicing changing a tire in the drive. Being out in the "boonies" and having a slide failure is no time to realize you don't have what you need to crank it in (or out if the trip is just starting).

If there's no "end adapter" on the shaft, the driveway is a perfect place to find the parts to permanently install on the shaft so they won't be lost if ever needed.

On our Cougar, there was a piece of Coroplast screwed to the bottom of the trailer in the location of the slide motor/manual shaft. When I pulled the 4 screws and removed the Coroplast cover, there was no hole in the main Coroplast. I had to cut the access hole as well as make the modifications to the shaft. I am contemplating drilling a 1/2" hole in the frame and extending the shaft through the frame rail so I can access it without having to crawl under the trailer on my hands and knees.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Carrnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby9 View Post
To answer the questions:
-no, the adapter was not in the paperwork bag or hidden elsewhere in the trailer.
-the manual override is located under the camper near the front steps. There is a square patch of plastic screwed to the underbelly to mark the location.
Thank you for the heads up.

Quote:
Frankly, the notion of needing an adapter never occurred to me. On both of my previous Forest River TT's the wrench adapter was the same size as that used on the leveling jacks and was already attached to the override. I assumed that if I ever needed the manual override on the Cougar, then I'd be able to use my drill with the leveling jack socket. That would've worked fine if the hex adapter had been supplied.
Never occurred to me either due to- 1. being a first timer and 2. none of the videos and manuals, that I've seen and read, ever mention needing one.

Quote:
Another issue for you 31sqb owners- try checking the breakers/fuses with your slide in some time. The slide closes off the hallway where the breaker panel is located. To get to the fuse box you have to crawl over the dinette and squeeze through a crack that is only about 10" wide. If you're overweight or disabled you're out of luck.
I am a big guy with a bad back and this thought had occurred to me, fortunately I have 3 sons who take after their mother as far as their size lol
2003 Dodge 3500 Laramie
https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3eggbarc.pnghttps://rs791.pbsrc.com/albums/yy200/...all-1.jpg~c100https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...psp0c7xac6.jpg
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Robby9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think it would be much like practicing changing a tire in the drive. Being out in the "boonies" and having a slide failure is no time to realize you don't have what you need to crank it in (or out if the trip is just starting).

I see your point, but I think cutting a hole in the cloroplast just to make sure the fitting is present is a bit excessive. I watched Keystone's video on how to operate the bypass, knew where it was located and had the appropriate tools on hand. Turns out I was wrong here, but I think I should be able to expect critical components to be present.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I see your point, but I think cutting a hole in the cloroplast just to make sure the fitting is present is a bit excessive. I watched Keystone's video on how to operate the bypass, knew where it was located and had the appropriate tools on hand. Turns out I was wrong here, but I think I should be able to expect critical components to be present.
Cardinal rule: If you rely on someone you don't know to do something you need to be done correctly and they don't care, you're the one that has the problem, not them. The coroplast is designed to be cut for access, that's why Keystone installed the cover where it's located. Many of Keystone's brands don't even have coroplast installed anywhere.

Your choice whether or not you "think cutting a hole is a bit excessive", but when you need to manually retract your slide, have no hole, no adapter, no tools to attach to the adapter, it really doesn't matter how many times you've watched a U Tube video or read the Keystone manual.

Actually doing the procedure is the only way to know that you've got what it takes and the knowledge to actually accomplish the task.

Good luck with whatever manner you decide to use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Sherwood

This is a good thread because I also have the 31SQB and probably should make preparations just in case the "bad" happens. (knock on wood). Making sure everything is in order just in case is not a bad idea. Teaching my young slender son how to change a fuse in tight quarters may be a wise idea too.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Carrnutt

I have now figured out that I can leave the bathroom door tied open when traveling. This will enable me to access the panel with the slides in. Also provide access for my kids to the bunk room to sleep if we have to spend a night somewhere that doesn't allow for me to open the slides.
2003 Dodge 3500 Laramie