Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Coydog

Post am/fm radio poor reception

very poor radio reception. inspected, thought that the antenna was not attached.Found there is a antenna wire plugged in but it has about 2 feet of wiring rolled up and tied off. No radio antenna visible on trailer. Is this the way new technology of antennas for am/fm radios? Or was it not installed at factory?
Coydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

It is not uncommon for RV's to have a short coil of wire for a radio antenna. You'll often find this "antenna" hidden in the back of the stereo cabinet - along with the usual "bird's nest" of wires and cables. If you are looking for a roof antenna and can't see one, they didn't forget to install it where you think it should be. It's there - on the floor out of sight behind the stereo. New technology? More like a cost-saving measure I think.

You can try uncoiling the wire, and make a longer antenna by "stretching" it out and fastening it to a wall. See if that helps. If not, consider installing an external side-mounted antenna if the stereo is located in a convenient place. Or you can mount a roof antenna which will, of course, involve going through the ceiling.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Coydog

Thanks Festus2, kind of what I thought when I found it coiled up there. Pretty cheesy and cheap. Will probably install an antenna.
Coydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
GaryWT

I have one one the roof but I know many have just the wire. Stretch is as high as you can and see if it helps.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
Ayotte

I had the same problem. After trying many different things I bought a external aerial and mounted on the side of the camper. Works great
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
scott24

We've never had bad reception......