Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
RunJay

Bullet 291RLS 2021 Battey Charger

Where is the battery charger and what is the make and model? There is a WFCO WF-8930/50 Distribution Panelboard. This does not have a charging circuit in it. This unit uses an external battery charger.
RunJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Northofu1

The controller is most likely behind that panel. Disconnect all power sources before removing it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunJay View Post
Where is the battery charger and what is the make and model? There is a WFCO WF-8930/50 Distribution Panelboard. This does not have a charging circuit in it. This unit uses an external battery charger.
Here's the info on the panel and the options for the converter. The only way to know what's in your's is to remove the panel as previously stated. Here's the WFCO web site.. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-893050/

What seems to be the issue that's prompting the question?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
RunJay

That was my though. Not very convenient. I need the make and model. I am guessing that only Keystone can answer that. The dealer didn't know!??
Tkx
Old 08-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
RunJay

I want to add an additional battery and in the future, upgrade to a better battery. I am one of the people that need to know everything about my TT.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That was my though. Not very convenient. I need the make and model. I am guessing that only Keystone can answer that. The dealer didn't know!??
Tkx
The dealer would have no idea as there are several options for that model distribution panel. The only way for "inquiring minds" to find out is to visually look at it. The dealer should have provided the paperwork that came with the Distribution panel if the trailer was purchased new, however that paperwork would list the same converter options.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
RunJay

TT was new. Missing several manual. I have been downloading the missing ones from mfg web sites. I will have to remove the panel when I get back from my shakedown trip.
Thank you
Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I want to add an additional battery and in the future, upgrade to a better battery. I am one of the people that need to know everything about my TT.
no, No, NO !!!!!!!

Do NOT add an additional battery with plans in the future to "upgrade to A better battery....

Batteries MUST be a MATCHED pair (if using two) or a MATCHED set (if using 3 or 4 or more).... To install "another battery now" if it's NOT the same size, same age, same amperage capacity, etc" as the existing battery, will cause a "mis-match" and you'll start having battery issues, almost immediately.

If you're planning to "upgrade in the future" then I'd suggest you "limp along until you're ready to spend the money on QUALITY DEEP CYCLE batteries... Anything you "stick on the tongue now, that's cheap and will get you by until..." will do just that, start damaging your existing battery and fail, probably when you need it most......

Secondly, look through your "paperwork packet". You should find a single sheet, probably yellow, that is called a "build sheet" and will list every appliance, every tire, etc on your RV. That sheet goes with the trailer down the assembly line and as parts are installed, the model/serial number/manufacturer are written on that sheet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

^^^ as John stated, best to go to two 6vdc golf cart style batteries. Typically the dealer installed battery is a marine starting battery at best. They will have a cold cranking amp or CCA rating. That is not a true deep cycle battery. A deep cycle battery will only have a rating of amp hours or AH. If you are going to add then as John said replace both. If the original battery has a 50 amp hour rating and you place it in parallel with a nice new larger 105 amp hour battery then the charger will stop when the smaller battery is charged. The repeated "undercharge" of the larger battery will reduce it's capacity and shorten it's life considerably.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
RunJay

Your concern is duly noted. Thank you. Don’t let my poor communication skills be used to indicate my lack of knowledge. Matched batteries are a must. Although, I don't have any experience with 6vdc batteries. I have read that two 6vdc in series can be done. Is that better then two MATCHED 12vdc in parallel? I only have room for two batteries.
I did find the yellow slip. That item is not listed. I know there is one installed, because when power is disconnected, the voltage at the battery drops, reconnect power and the voltage increases.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Your concern is duly noted. Thank you. Don’t let my poor communication skills be used to indicate my lack of knowledge. Matched batteries are a must. Although, I don't have any experience with 6vdc batteries. I have read that two 6vdc in series can be done. Is that better then two MATCHED 12vdc in parallel? I only have room for two batteries.
I did find the yellow slip. That item is not listed. I know there is one installed, because when power is disconnected, the voltage at the battery drops, reconnect power and the voltage increases.
When anyone comes along with these type of questions we don't know your skill set or experience or knowledge so we will err on the side of caution for you and for the uniformed that may come along later and read this post. Many of "old timers" think about the person that comes along reading these posts when we make replies.

There are both schools of thought on 12v vs 2 6v batteries. There are many posts as well. Positives and negatives like everything else in life. Using 2 6v in series are true deep cycle batteries. They are built to withstand a deeper discharge rates and a higher repetition of discharges.

The pro 12v in parallel crowd will talk about the idea if one battery fails you take it out of the circuit and still use the 12v loads. I personally have a single 12v 105 amp hr deep cycle battery but we don't boondock. Before meeting my DW my idea of camping was a lean to or floorless tent in the mountains. The DW grew up spending the summers with her siblings in a full hook up cg. So obviously, we only camp with full hook ups and W&E at a min.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
RunJay

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Both are Appreciated.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

When you're trying to decide between two 6V batteries in series or 2 12V batteries in parallel, just look at the total AH with the pair and the cost of the pair and the choice gets easier. Add to this that the 6V batteries are heaver construction and so can take deeper discharges. Once I did my research, I selected the dual 6V route. YMMV.

As to the build sheet - my trailer didn't come with it either, but I went to the dealer and asked them to pull it from their paper work and they made me a copy. I guess they figured most people would not want it so they didn't automatically include it.

You purchased a new trailer and didn't get owner's manuals for all the components? That's unusual. I not only got manuals for the larger appliances, but down to the fire extinguisher and smoke detector. If you're missing any, the dealer should be able to help you out with that.

Tags
bullet