Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
LCrabtree

Angry Trailer Brakes Intermittent

First time since we bought the trailer new in 2018 and put about 17,000 miles on it. On this trip during a rainstorm (the problem persists now in dry weather) the trailer brakes failed intermittently. TV is a 2019 Ford F250. I got a pop-up warning "Trailer Wiring Fault" and the trailer brakes failed to activate with the TV service brakes or with the paddles. The problem self-corrected, then began reappearing. It occurs both during braking and not during braking. When braking the TT brakes will activate, then deactivate, reactivate, etc., unpredictably. The TT running lights continue to work without interruption. Checked the TT - TV connection, it is dry; soaked it with electronic parts cleaner; problem persists. With the TT disconnected, TV brakes applied I get voltage between pins 1 & 2 on the connector when the TV brakes are applied (low voltage but I think that is related to the fact that the vehicle is stationary and no trailer connected).

The Break-away pin is fully inserted into its receptacle.

Ford owner's manual says this message indicates:
1) If occurring without the trailer connected, a problem with the Ford electronics; or,
2) If occurring with the trailer connected (my situation) a problem with the trailer wiring.

My inclination is to see if Keystone will cover this under warranty?

Ideas?
Comments?

Larry
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
redfernclan

I have a 2016 GMC Canyon and when I bought my new/used Passport, it did the same thing. Still worked with my boat with no issues. Everything tested fine, came down to figuring out that the connector on the trailer side was just plain "worn out". Replaced the end and no more issues. In looking at the plug I figured each little tab inside looses some of it"s spring if you will and makes a intermittent connection. Since then, I also use a smell screwdriver and put a dab of dialectic grease on the tabs of the connector. Don't know if it helps, but can't hurt.
redfernclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I would first, crawl under the trailer and check/redo all of the "quick connectors" on the brake wiring (located behind each wheel at the hub. Use waterproof connectors or solder/seal with liquid tape. Then look carefully at the wiring from the umbilical junction box to the hub connectors. Inspect it for any damaged or compressed/worn insulation. You may find that the ground wire is intermittent or the 12 VDC+ is broken. I wouldn't suspect that the + lead is shorted or the fuse protection (in the truck wiring) would probably blow.

ADDED: If you're getting the "trailer disconnect" warning on the Ford dash monitor, BUT the trailer is fully functional with no braking issues, then it's probably a "mismatched 7 pin connector issue. Ford uses one brand, Keystone uses another and the pin dimensions are not always "perfect"... As an example, a Polak connector on the truck may not always make adequate connections with a CAMCO trailer plug, or a Bargman truck end may not always work with a CURT trailer end... If you get to the point where the brakes are functional AND the truck still "gives alerts" then look at changing out the trailer connector for a better quality (and same brand) as your truck. I'm not sure what brand Ford is used on each year truck. On my 2013 Superduty it was a Bargman, on my 2015 Superduty, it's a combination made by Hopkins.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

With a previous camper(Forest River) had the same issue on the 2009 F150 KR. I could "get it to work" by bungee cording around the plug onto the truck and bending the umbilical contacts every time. Got tired of that and replaced the plug with the same make as the truck's receptacle and no more issues.

Never had the issue with the Keystone and F250.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
LCrabtree

Message & failure coincidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
ADDED: If you're getting the "trailer disconnect" warning on the Ford dash monitor, BUT the trailer is fully functional with no braking issues, then it's probably a "mismatched 7 pin connector issue.
The dash fault message and the brake failure occur coincidentally. In other words when one occurs so does the other. I am NOT getting one without the other.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrabtree View Post
The dash fault message and the brake failure occur coincidentally. In other words when one occurs so does the other. I am NOT getting one without the other.
That's exactly what happened with my F150. It's not coincidental but it's directly related and are concurring. Don't know about your Ford but I believe mine looks for the brake circuit and if it isn't there then it says the trailer isn't connected. I 'd suggest a look see on the ford truck forums like https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php They have a seperate section devoted to towing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Wxman

I had the same symptoms with my TT and Chevy truck. Got similar answers on what to check and troubleshoot. Probably good answers. My problem ended up being one of the magnet assemblies came loose and was rattling around in the hub. I guess it sometimes would get in a 'short' position and cause the 'Trailer Disconnected' message with loss of brakes and then a jolt would move it and everything would work again for a while. Finally found this after new trailer plug, new truck receptacle, new umbilical cord with plug, etc.
Very intermittent, very frustrating.
Had to replace entire brake assembly and hub on that wheel, but zero problems since.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
dblanch57

My lesson with brakes

I had this same problem earlier this year with my brakes. 2014 F150 was fine.

I check all of the connectors at each trailer wheel, hooked up went out and they worked for a while, then the same error. Then I looked through a couple of forums and found where the wire that goes through the trailer axle-tube will wear and short out inside the tube. I took an outdoor extension cord and cut two pieces that would reach across the axle tubes to each wheel and reconnected the brakes with waterproof connectors. Zip tied the cord on top of the axles and everything works great. When I pulled the wires out of the axles, I found numerous places where the wire was worn through from vibration.

Hope this might help you.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
LCrabtree

Did more trouble-shooting. Pins 1 (ground) and 2 (brake) are the two that control the trailer brakes. On the trailer pigtail (with TV disconnected), both pins are grounded. I checked first for continuity from pin 1 to ground, pin 2 to ground, then pin 1 to pin 2. Zero resistance for all three tests. Then from battery to pin 1 = 12V +/- (good); from battery to pin 2 = 12V +/- (bad). I think that I have a direct short somewhere in the TT on pin 2 wiring ...
Old 08-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
LCrabtree

Replacing wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch57 View Post
I had this same problem earlier this year with my brakes. 2014 F150 was fine.

I check all of the connectors at each trailer wheel, hooked up went out and they worked for a while, then the same error. Then I looked through a couple of forums and found where the wire that goes through the trailer axle-tube will wear and short out inside the tube. I took an outdoor extension cord and cut two pieces that would reach across the axle tubes to each wheel and reconnected the brakes with waterproof connectors. Zip tied the cord on top of the axles and everything works great. When I pulled the wires out of the axles, I found numerous places where the wire was worn through from vibration.

Hope this might help you.
Just to be sure, my rig appears to have a direct short to ground on both the number 1 & 2 pins. #1 is the ground, so good; but, #2 should have an open circuit or high resistance with the TV disconnected, correct?

Also, when replacing those wires, is it true that the brakes are not polarity specific?

Larry
Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
Bob R

i haven't seen how the plugs on the newer truck look like from behind but on my 2008 F350 the plug would fill with water. To fix i would take the plug apart , dump the water and cram as much dielectric grease in there as I could. I eventually bought a new plug and replaced it and all has been good.

bob
Old 08-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #12
Tooth Ferry

Brakes intermittant

Magnet assembly busted or wire in one hub broken. X 3.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
LCrabtree

What does X 3 mean?

Tags
brakes