Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
LisaKarre

GMC Denali or Dodge RAM?

Ok...so we have been looking for some time and doing lots of research to narrow down what we’re looking for in a new tow vehicle. We know we want a 3500, long bed, crew cab, under 100,000k miles, diesel...we have two trucks that we’re trying to decide between.
Truck #1: 2017 GMC Denali HD 3500 with 32k miles
Truck #2: 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 with 65k miles
Both are beautiful and check all of our boxes...Decisions decisions...Any thoughts or words of wisdom...I know I can count on you all☺️
LisaKarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Based solely on the information you've provided, any OBJECTIVE decision is IMPOSSIBLE to make.

Suppose that the GMC has been wrecked and has a "rebuild title" or the RAM has been a "hot shot vehicle in the oil fields" for much of its life... Those "factors" would objectively rule out either truck even though they "appear pristine and clean"....

Look at maintenance records, tire condition, overall, look at how well the vehicle appears, hints for any problems, body repairs, rust, tape marks on the paint (where it's been repainted) and a host of other issues....

Is there any warranty or ability to buy a warranty with either truck? Towing history for both trucks? Abuse or lack of maintenance? Condition of the emission systems?

I've seen 2014 trucks around this area with rust that penetrates entirely through the fender wells and I've seen 2014 trucks around here that were never exposed to salt on the winter roads... So, even two "identical trucks with similar mileage" might well be a "reject that one because of body damage while accept the other because of no rust"....

There's far too much to consider that's completely unknown to make any objective recommendation......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
rhagfo

While the GM has half as many miles the Ram has a much higher GVWR and payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
Firefighter1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
While the GM has half as many miles the Ram has a much higher GVWR and payload.
That’s a good point. Those loaded trucks are awesome but take down the tow ratings pretty quickly.
Firefighter1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
jsb5717

Pretty subjective. Which is better, blue or red? Either one should easily handle your Hideout. Which one do you like the best?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

GMC (Isuzu) engines and the Allison transmission are a formidable pair.

If the Ram has the Asian transmission with the Cummin diesel its just as good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
Snoking

The 2017 GM has the Denso injection pump! Good! The 2014 RAM Laramie is missing the power fold mirrors that arrived in 2015. It may also have the dual radiators, with the troublesome Y pipe that breaks. There are after market Y's to solve the issue. On the RAM if the tranny dip stick is on the drivers side of engine, it has the HD Aisin Tranny. Great! Passengers side 68RFE RAM tranny. OK!

If SRW's the RAM will have 3.42 gears, that work well with the Aisin's lower 1st and 2nd gear, and not as well with the 68RFE.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I can cut to the chase...
Ram owners will tell you to buy the Ramy,
GM owners will tell you buy the GM
Ford owners will not comment
Toyota Tundra owners will tell you to "buy a Tundra, it can pull anything"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
But you did!! I am a RAM owner and was honest I my review of the two choices presented. Chris
Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
meaz93*

I'm a Ford homer...that being said you can't go wrong with either choice.
I guess it comes down for me the OEM towing gear the truck came with. Both motors are very stout and reliable
I obviously would go with the Ford as I love the power fold telescoping tow mirrors, and I'm just accustomed to the interior lay out.
I have a GMC 4500 / Isuzu 14` box truck at my business and it runs flawlessly without all the added emissions.
Great truck.
At the end of the day it's really what truck suits you[emoji106]
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

No mention of the things that are important if you want to go bigger towing a larger camper in the future. No mention of payload, engine/transmissioin so the choice boils down to which color you like. OR find which has the highest payload by checking the yellow/white sticker in the door frame and go with it so the site weight police never bother you. Although older Fords don't hold their value as well, this makes them a lot cheaper for the poor buyer like me. Just saying. And my Ford feels like a real truck and not a cushy GMC or Ram. To think about it, not sure if that is a real selling point bwhahahaha.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
KingFisher

I traded a 2015 duramax 2500hd for a new 2018 Ram cummins/aisin dually crew cab with 8 ft bed.
My duramax was short bed and I didn't want to have a sliding hitch, I also didn't want to upgrade the 20 inch tires.

Chevy insulted me at 3 different dealerships or I'd still have a chevy. I bought the Ram because I could afford it, lost a lot of bells and whistles.

I like the Ram fine, I think it's a little stronger than the duramax. Ram also has rear air leveling which I didn't think I needed but has turned out to work really well.

If both the trucks you were looking at were the same price I'd say buy the denali but there's no way they're the same price.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
But you did!! I am a RAM owner and was honest I my review of the two choices presented. Chris
There are exceptions to every rule and I guess we are just exceptional!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
travelin texans

Being a GM guy I'd have to go with the Denali.
The Duramax/Allison is unbeatable in my opinion. I've had 2 of them with over 300k combined & 150k +/- miles of that towing heavy 5th wheels with no issues.
May want to check with GM as with only 32k miles & 3 years old it should have the remainder of 7year/100k mile warranty still in place.
The Cummins is a very strong engine & if it has the Aisin tranny it to would be tough to beat. With 65k miles & 6years old not sure about any warranty on it.
I'm guessing there's quite a difference in prices, but as I said being a fan & possible warranty I'd have to chose the Denali, but think you could not go wrong with either as long as you check them out closely beforehand.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #15
ChuckS

GMC guy here... the six speed Allison is hard to beat... I like the lower miles on the GMC your looking at...

The Dodge ... if it has the AISIN transmission... and it should then it’s also a great combo with the Cummins diesel.

Lower miles on the GMC should mean brakes and overall suspension in better shape... depends on how it was used...

I have 129K miles on my GMC and still running original OEM brakes...

Both will serve you well with Diesel engines...

Let us know what you chose and many safe trips in the future

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
GMC guy here... the six speed Allison is hard to beat... I like the lower miles on the GMC your looking at...

The Dodge ... if it has the AISIN transmission... and it should then it’s also a great combo with the Cummins diesel.

Lower miles on the GMC should mean brakes and overall suspension in better shape... depends on how it was used...

I have 129K miles on my GMC and still running original OEM brakes...

Both will serve you well with Diesel engines...

Let us know what you chose and many safe trips in the future
Using the Exhaust brake will cause the service brakes on all the modern diesels to last a very long time. Like someone else said, the RAM should be much lower in cost, so some of the savings could be spent on a RAM Maxcare extended warranty.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #17
bosscat800

I'll put my 2 cents in. From what I've seen, in my line of work, Dodge Rams, do NOT hold their value! I do not tow with either one!
bosscat800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have to speak up - my Tundra will pull anything it's rated for. And no, there's no "Space Shuttle" listed on the yellow weight rating decal either.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I have to speak up - my Tundra will pull anything it's rated for. And no, there's no "Space Shuttle" listed on the yellow weight rating decal either.

We've had many conversations about Tundra towing abilities etc. DW and I were sitting here in Shreveport this evening and I counted 4 Tundras around me with RVs on them. Most have a trailer in tow that looks OK. Next to me is one with a bed that is shorter than I've ever seen, billited fender covers, brush guard etc.....looking "tough". He's towing what looks like a 32'+ Airstream flying cloud or something. I can't imagine that he isn't overloaded and would love to watch him take off but looks like he's in for a while.

As we discussed, I think Toyota is building the Tundra to "look tough", touting the "towing" ability but have no idea about "carrying capacity". Buyers think they look stout, have a great reputation and jump on them thinking they've just bought themselves a real tow truck. Tundras are OK for the weight they are designed for...brakes are weak.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #20
ChuckS

An exhaust brake might be nice but my 2007 Duramax didn’t come with that.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote