Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #21
Papa of 7

Well all I can say is the truth is the truth! ��
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #22
Northofu1

Hello, I'm Sergeant Joe Friday........welcome to the forum!!

Haha I didn't want to say anything

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Papa of 7

Glad to meet you, this site has been very useful already! Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #24
Jackitup

You will be fine enjoy yourself and stay safe. There are no weight police it’s not like you are pulling it around with a suv. Enjoy yourself all good.

Kevin
2017 F150 5.0L 4x4 XLT
4 point Equalizer
2016 bullet 274bhs
Jackitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Hello, I'm Sergeant Joe Friday........welcome to the forum!!

Haha I didn't want to say anything

I couldn't resist.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #26
Papa of 7

Sounds like you and I have something in common. They call me the instigator! ��
Old 08-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #27
Papa of 7

I have had good luck so far. The trailer is 6250 empty weight, I may have 500 more in it. I have 70 and 75 up these Tennessee hills. Transmission temperature 196 and highest i have seen it on a long steep hill was 205. It did come with the towing package, seems like it is doing the trick. BTW it is a crew cab short bed. Happy camping ��
Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Don’t be too discouraged mhayne. We jus toe the a few days on the WA coast. Lots of RV parks on the beach. After reading all the posts by the “Weight Nazis” here, I was paying particular attention to what was being towed by what. To my surprise, very few 3/4 & 1 ton truck. Most of the trailers were in the common 26’ range. Turned out most of these are OR/WA residents. Most don’t travel more than 150 miles and on state highways. Most carry no water. I understand weight limits and how the calculations work, now that I’ve met the “Gurus” on this site. It drives me nuts to to see a Highlander towing a 26’ trailer. The receiver hitch on SUV’s and Crossovers is for carrying bicycles. However, a half ton pickup is capable of a lot. Especially if it was ordered to do the work.

I don't think anyone concerned about someone's safety, and willing to step up and point an issue out, is a "Nazi". My dad, his brothers and my FIL all fought "Nazis" including the Battle of the Bulge and believe me they weren't concerned about their neighbors safety. I travel the country and see every kind of weight abuse I guess there is along with other knowledgeable folks on this forum. Does it bite or kill every person ignoring those weights? No. Should it make their stomach turn and make them sleepless when they know they are overweight like I was? Absolutely....and it should. When the "oops" happens there are no "do overs", backing up time, time outs or retakes; it will play out and you deal with the aftermath no matter how horrible as I have. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound, or ton, of cure. Knowledge up front is the only way to prevent some of that if folks are willing to listen, understand and try to follow those established weight limits.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #29
Papa of 7

I agree totally. ��
Old 08-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
Well, I am almost afraid to say anything because I am new also... I am in the same boat with a 2016 3.5 ecoboost and a Passport 2950bh.
I rode in that boat myself with our F-150 Ecoboost. Didn't understand I even had a payload bottleneck until I bulled my way through all the math. Fortunately(?) DW had been in "I hate this truck" mode for several years (mostly over the impossibility of getting her groceries loaded through the "suicide doors" in a tight parking lot), so at least I didn't have to talk her into the upgrade.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #31
LHaven

Quote:
It's just annoying that you're sitting there in your chair waiting to add your advice on payload. How do you know the payload of the folks you're advising?
It just looks like you are assuming everyone else is stupid.
Well, the folks here are assuming everyone has been told by his truck/trailer dealer that "sure, that thing will pull this thing," regardless of what this and that thing actually are*, and so far, that's been accurate. Especially when the numbers the OP posts consist of the horizontal tow capacity and the dry weight of the trailer, both of which are meaningless, and which immediately triggers the weight discussion.

There are also known typical payload ranges for half, 3/4, and one-ton trucks, and how big a trailer that translates to before entering trouble territory. Some of the folks here (many of whom are professional RV mechanics) are familiar with the truck and trailer specs by model number, and have years of experience informing them what is or isn't a good match.

*Case in point: Many Keystone units with the big "half-ton towable" decal on the front... are in no way half-ton towable.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It's just annoying that you're sitting there in your chair waiting to add your advice on payload. How do you know the payload of the folks you're advising?
It just looks like you are assuming everyone else is stupid. Get out of the chair and get a life.
Oh yea, get me kicked off this site. It would be a favor.

How do I know the payload of a truck? It's on the door. How do I know the weight of a trailer? Generally it's published unless someone actually scales their trailer. Sitting in my chair and get a life? I suspect I see and do 10 times more than you ever will. I assume no one is stupid; I worry about those that are ignorant..."don't know". If you want to be removed from the site please let us know and you will be accommodated. I'm assuming by the remark "it would be a favor" we should do that. I would question why you feel inclined to come to the site if you would rather not be on it???
Old 08-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
WoodGeek

New trailer, too large?

I too may have overbought my first trailer. Pulling a Hideout 22LHS with an Reg Cab F150 2.7 Ecoboost. So far I have only pulled it from the dealer to the house. Was living in it for a while. I am an ICU nurse trying to distance from my family during early days of COVID. The pull home was okay, although everything empty. My next pull will be to a CAT scale. In a post somewhere I read about getting multiple weights with the TV and TT in various positions so you can determine not just the weight but how its all positioned. Can anyone describe that process?
WoodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #34
Papa of 7

I just pulled 70 miles to a campsite on Dale Hollow Lake, no problem at all, even had a fast stop at a traffic light. This is my 4th trip all around the same distance from home. But no doubt a bigger truck is in my future. I may want to go across the country. ��
Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGeek View Post
In a post somewhere I read about getting multiple weights with the TV and TT in various positions so you can determine not just the weight but how its all positioned. Can anyone describe that process?
In short, you get an independent weigh on all axles in your driving configuration; then you release all the tension from your weight distribution hardware right where you sit and get a re-weigh, then you pull off the scale, park your trailer, and go back once more to get the truck only. You should have the same people and pets in the same places in the truck for all three weighs, and try to have a full fuel tank.

If there's a scale near where I'm camping, I will often weigh the truck alone before I hook up to leave, then do the other two weighs after I've left the campground – it relieves me of having to find a place to park a trailer at the weigh station.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #36
Rber1234

Welcome from Southern Illinois
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #37
Papa of 7

Thank you Sir!

Tags
travel trailer