Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
fivelco7

Generator use

Hello all. I am new to the 50amp dual a/c system. I always had 30amp single a/c system. So I’m looking for a new decent quiet generator to run the 15k btu and 13k btu a/c’s. Any recommendations on this would be helpful. Tell me what y’all use and if you like it.
Thanks Jason
fivelco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a generator yet, but I've been shopping for some time.

For RV use, you really need an Inverter generator, and it needs to be quiet to be allowed in many public camping areas.

These generators go up to about 4k watts and provide a 30 amp outlet. To get enough power to be able to run both air conditioners at the same time, you would need to get two of these generators and connect them together (with a separate accessory cable). This results in a lot of up-front cost.

You may want to consider that when running on the generator, do you really need both air conditioners? If you can get by with running just one at a time, then you can use a single generator.

Here are some that I've been looking at:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p81924.html
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56380i-38.../dp/B07PTNTRRJ
https://www.cummins.com/generators/o...able-generator

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Generators are rated in amps. You'll typically see two ratings, running amps and surge amps. To get the watts needed use ohm's law which the applicable part would be amps X volts = watts. So 50 amps X 120 volts = 6000 watts.

Search generators in that capacity and look at how much they weigh. They are very heavy so most folks go for 2 smaller ones that can be interconnected work together. Also look at the fuel consumption and weight (6.3 lbs/gal + weight of container). Take the per hour fuel consumption and multiply the hours of use per "outing" and you'll get how many gallons you need to take.

What most people do is look realistically at what they need to vs what they must have. Look at the reality of where you'll be putting that equipment and fuel. It not only takes up space, it consumes payload either from the trailer or the truck if you throw it in the bed.

I'd urge you to take these things into consideration and do some reading up on the subject before making a decision.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

The first law of RV thermodynamics is that the more suitable a generator is for providing 50A service the more expensive the set up will be. If you plan on generator use while off grid and don't mind a bit of noise, go to Tractor Supply and try and lift a 6K unit. That might change your plans. If you decide you want quiet generators and two of them running together due the weight, go to your banker and see if he will give you a second mortgage as this get pricey.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
bobbecky

Your 50 amp rig is really two 50 amp hot legs coming in, so it’s really 100 amps. You would need more than a 12,000 watt generator to be fully capable of running everything in your rig. We use two 2,000 watt Honda generators paralleled to run one or the other A/C’s when we have dry camped. You also will find that a generator rating is not accurate. Our 2,000 watt unit is only rated 1,600 watts continuous, so only 3,200 watts for two of them paralleled. It’s better to do load management, use only one A/C at a time, run the fridge and water heater on gas only, turn off the A/C if you need to use a microwave or hair dryer, and you will be able to get by with a much smaller generator.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
travelin texans

If you must run everything & have a 5th wheel get the Onan 5500 or 6500 LP powered built into the front storage area, swap your LP tanks to 40 lb'ers & you're good to go, CHA CHING CHA CHING!
Otherwise follow the advice you've already been given about various portables.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Dometic recommends a generator size of 3500 watts for one A/C and a minimum of 5500 watts for two A/C units. In a "50 amp RV", as stated, you really have two legs of 50 amps for a total of 100 amps (12,000 watts).

I don't know of any "transportable inverter generator" with that capacity. So, to answer your question, "What generator will power our rig like it is powered on shore power" The answer is "no generator will give you that much power without having a trailer to tow it and the fuel supply behind your fifth wheel."

Most people "get by" on a pair of 2000 watt or the newly introduced Honda 2200 watt generators. They won't allow "two A/C operation with other power consumption" so it will be a "compromise on using one A/C and good power management" to keep the RV functional (within reason)....

This is, for the most part, a "you can't get there with today's technology".....

A recent thread described by a member how he just bought two Onan 3500 watt inverter generators and a "interconnecting cable system" to power his 50 amp RV. He said he can power both A/C's and the microwave, but even with that much power, he's a "far cry from the shore power capacity"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
dutchmensport

I did research for almost 2 years attempting to decide on a generator for my Montana High Country Fifth Wheel (50 amp, 2 air conditioners, 15000 with heat pump and 13500 without heat pump), microwave, residential refrigerator, gas-electric water heater, and electric fireplace. Not to mention all the electronics (2 televisions, multiple lap top computers, I-pads, blow dryers, even electric tooth brushes).... yes ... lots of electricity.

After all the research, I finally went to one of my local RV dealerships that has done me very, very well in the past and I had a nice long talk with their parts and service people.

To make a long story short, Cummings came out with a new Generator-Inverter a short while ago and this model is taking the RV industry by storm. Why? Because they run so quiet, are portable enough they can be handled, have the 30 amp RV socket, USB ports, and 2 - 20 amp household plugs. They have a power output max of 37 amps. They are electric start, have a remote start, the battery is self charging, and it comes with a power charger for the battery when the generator is in storage and not being used for long periods of time. It's fuel injected, uses 87 octaine gas, and can be as high as 10% ethanol. It has read-outs for the power demand, timer for usage, volt output, and more. It's on 2 wheels for easy maneuverability and comes with it's own carrying handle. The only down side, it does weigh in at 97 pounds dry. Add oil and fuel (full) and it comes in around 115 pounds.

If two of them run in tandem, they can easily power a 50 amp RV.

We walked away with 2 of them.

I hooked one up to our camper by itself. It ran the 15000 air conditioner, microwave, water heater, refrigerator and both televisions (which is right at the edge of our 30 amp max for our camper. The single generator did just fine.

When I powered both together, I turned on the second air conditioner in addition to everything else, and just to see if I could max anything out, I flipped on the electric fireplace and ran everything for over and hour and sat there and monitored the out-put readings on both generators to see if anything ever maxed out, and it did not.

Cummings Onan P4500I Inverter Portable Generator, click here

Prices seem to be all over the charts on these, I suppose it depends on who is selling them and what they want for a price mark-up margin. Most are advertising around $1044. When my RV dealership finally got ours in (we had to wait, as they had none in stock), the price increased. With tax, the wire and plugs to run them for 50 amp ($78), and everything, we walked away with 2 of of them for $2400. ... Yes pricey, but .... (how bad do you want it, are you willing to pay?)... after 2 years of research, I realized, this was a good price.

I highly recommend these. And FYI, as stated above, if you want one generator to power a 50 amp camper, it will have to be a much bigger and heavier one.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

How do you know the Onan P4500i is fuel injected? I looked at the owner's manual for it (at least I think I've got the right one) and there is a section under maintenance titled "Draining the float bowl" on the carburetor.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
How do you know the Onan P4500i is fuel injected? ...
I specifically asked the guy that walked me through the PDI about this because on my old "King Craft" generator, that's about 20 years old now, (for a piece of junk generator that had nothing but negative reviews and massive criticism, that King Craft has been one dandy good generator for me). I always turn the gas off at the petcock and let the carburetor run itself out, so there is never any gas in the carburetor to gunk up. (20 years and I've never had to touch the carburetor doing this).

He said there is no "such" fuel cut off on this model and I'd never have to worry about that process with this one since it's fuel injected. I have not removed the side cover yet to see what's going on under the hood, but there is a switch on the front to turn fuel on and off. I would think he knows what he's talking about as he's the one that did all the prep-work to get it running, inspected it, added the oil and fuel, and let it run for about an hour before I ever showed up to pick it up. And he's done this for several of them now.

But, now you've got me wondering, so when I get back home (we're camping right now at an Indiana State Park), I'll check out.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
MarkEHansen

Perhaps the owner's manual I found online is the wrong one, but it's got a date of 2019 and says it's for the P4500i.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
Roscommon48

you've opened up a great thread....
you'll get lots of responses.

as for my opinion, if you have the $$$$ go with honda.

note: one 2200watt honda will run your 13.5btu a/c. that is all i can say. If you get 2 and the A/Cs have 'soft start' you make be okay.

moving generators around, weight is a consideration.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

The nice thing about running two very very expensive gennies out away from your trailer like that is to wake up with the sound of rain drops pitter pattering on your roof (and generators!). I think they make portable enclosures for generators and most don't like rain. (not to mention all those cords laying on the ground... hopefully water proof?)
Old 07-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
ChuckS

Simplest chart to give you and idea of your requirements for a generator.....

https://www.steadypower.com/pages.php?pageid=133

To determine the amperage draw just divide watts consumed for each item you will be running by 120

This will give you a “rough” current draw

So an 4500 watt Cummins produces roughly 4000 watts wide open at about 33 amps

Each air conditioner is wired to ONE leg of that 50 amp power lead into RV... you’d have roughly 15 amps each leg with both AC units running wide open... now add in converter amp draw, TV set, fridge, etc and you won’t have much headroom ... if any with even two 4500 watt generators...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #15
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelco7 View Post
Hello all. I am new to the 50amp dual a/c system. I always had 30amp single a/c system. So I’m looking for a new decent quiet generator to run the 15k btu and 13k btu a/c’s. Any recommendations on this would be helpful. Tell me what y’all use and if you like it.
Thanks Jason
First install a soft start kit on both air conditioners.
Second decide on if you will need both running at the same time.
Third decide if you need/want a portable unit (weight) or permanent mount.

I have the soft start kits here and will install them soon. I have no need to ever run both air conditioners at the same time, we are either not in the bedroom or in the bedroom. Just close the bedroom doors. As a result, we use the Honda EU2000 pair, now they sell the EU2200. Plenty of power and I can lift them.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #16
rlh1957

Softstarrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelco7 View Post
Thanks Jason
Put a softstartrv on each ac.
https://www.softstartusa.com

I put one on my 15k & 13.5k units.
I can start and run both from 30amp plug in garage or camp pedestal.

My gen has only a 30amp plug so had to use a 30a to 50a dogbone adapter.

You can start and run one ac on a 2000w Generator like a Honda 2000 inverter gen. Again use a 50a dogbone to ??amp plug your gen uses.

I have heard of some people saying they can run from a 15a plug. I can’t speak as I havent tested it.

Larger generator like 3000w can run both ac’s. Or more things at same time.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
TYHLR

My camper has 13.5 and 15k a/cs. Onboard genset Onan 5500 that runs both a/cs at the same time as well as everything else in the camper.

After having an onboard genset, can't ever see hauling portable generators for camping but that is just me. Too much to worry about with portables including hauling fuel and the possibility of theft.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #18
rlh1957

An onboard gen is great. Many rigs don’t come with a genset or a place or wiring to even put one in.
So portable gen is the only option.

A 2000 gen will use much less fuel than a 5000+ onboard gen. Portable is less convenient than the auto function of onboard gen.

You might have to budget your power use with smaller gens compared to the convenience of larger onboard gen that runs everything at same time.

The softstartRV installation is a must with portable generators.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYHLR View Post
My camper has 13.5 and 15k a/cs. Onboard genset Onan 5500 that runs both a/cs at the same time as well as everything else in the camper.

After having an onboard genset, can't ever see hauling portable generators for camping but that is just me. Too much to worry about with portables including hauling fuel and the possibility of theft.

I bought a generator for camping (3800 running watts) and I was strong enough to hoist it into the bed of my pick up a few years ago when purchased. Today it is in my car port and used for home electrical outages as I can't lift it anymore.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
rlh1957

Same here. My 4500 igen Westinghouse at around 100lbs is at the point my wife and I double team it now.

This is another reason people put the softstartrv on their AC and use a Honda, Yamaha or Predator 2000 higher... they are lightweight.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH (8) BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inverter. SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator

Tags
generator