Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
MN-Clark

US58 Virginia?

Anyone travel US58 West of Danville, VI? Google maps doesn't help much when I'm trying to decide if my 39' 5er would cause me concern on some of the twisty bits.

I haven't found any caution signs but the maps lines are kinda squiggly!

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
travelin texans

Pick up a Motor Carriers Atlas at your local truck stop. It has truck routes highlighted with list of height/weight restrictions in the front listed by state. If a truck can go so can you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Clark View Post
Anyone travel US58 West of Danville, VI? Google maps doesn't help much when I'm trying to decide if my 39' 5er would cause me concern on some of the twisty bits.

I haven't found any caution signs but the maps lines are kinda squiggly!

Thanks.
I run 58 from i77 to Martinsville when I go to the Nascar race there. Pulling a 39 foot fiver with a modern diesel and exhaust brake is very doable if your confident and not easily rattled. The worst is probably about 20 or 30 miles east of the interstate, from there it's pretty good running into Martinsville. Going east there are some steep twisty downhill runs, I lockout my gears and stay in 2nd gear with the exhaust brake and maintain about 20mph, which is the posted speed limit for semis. Take your time, don't smoke your brakes and you'll be fine. Going west you'll be doing more pulling, climbing, also at a slow pace, but I'd say it's easier than going down. If your adventurous with the right truck and enjoy awesome views I say go for it. I'll be going that way for the October race with our new 16k lb Solitude.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
Vet4jdc

We live on the east coast of Virgina and travel west quite a bit. We take 58 to 85 and 40 west just to avoid going on 58 through the hills. That's what the "truckers" do.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:59 AM   #5
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
We live on the east coast of Virgina and travel west quite a bit. We take 58 to 85 and 40 west just to avoid going on 58 through the hills. That's what the "truckers" do.
I am a trucker and you're right I wouldn't want to head west on 58 with an under powered semi and 80k lbs. But there is no comparison to a high powered modern diesel pickup and an RV. The power to weight difference is night and day. And 85 is quite a backtrack east from Danville however he could just head south to 40. If his goal was to get north west he could take 220 out of Martinsville to 460 to 81 to 77. That's about 15-20 minutes longer than 58 to 77N. But if he is looking for something interesting than I answered his question. 58 is fairly good running until you get over by Hillsville and Fancy Gap, a lot of it is 4 lane divided highway. Its marked as US58 not a county road. It's only the last few miles to 77 that are twisty and hilly. As I said if you're the nervous type you probably wouldn't enjoy it but if its adventure you seek it's a beautiful ride. I realize some folks wouldn't be in the mood. For some it's the getting there that's just as enjoyable as being there.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
MN-Clark

My beautiful bride & I are heading to the Fancy Gap KOA from Raleigh, NC area. We've run I40 to I85 to US52 to I77 numerous times. Just thought a different route might be interesting and fun. It's not a long drive no matter which route we take.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps we'll take the interstate route to the campground and run US58 on the motorcycle for a day trip. That's why we bought the toy hauler anyway.