Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #41
notanlines

Oh my, the battle of the GOG's, first on this thread! C'mon Cal, you've been on here for so long you've become a fixture! And you know if we all didn't make a little fun of grumpy old guys, or Texans, or bald guys, or Canadians (I want to be all inclusive) then we'd have to pick on the Michigan football program instead!
If there wasn't ever any drama (Cal VS Tireman9 for example) or humor (Tacoma guys pulling anything except a utility trailer) the membership would drop like a ballot box in Georgia!
I do see where were going with this, but we have to be a little lighthearted also.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #42
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Oh my, the battle of the GOG's, first on this thread! C'mon Cal, you've been on here for so long you've become a fixture! And you know if we all didn't make a little fun of grumpy old guys, or Texans, or bald guys, or Canadians (I want to be all inclusive) then we'd have to pick on the Michigan football program instead!
If there was ever any drama (Cal VS Tireman9 for example) or humor (Tacoma guys pulling anything except a utility trailer) the membership would drop like a ballot box in Georgia!
I do see where were going with this, but we have to be a little lighthearted also.
Besides, if it wasn't for a little humor, you'd all be like me.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
If there was ever any drama (Cal VS Tireman9 for example) or humor (Tacoma guys pulling anything except a utility trailer) the membership would drop like a ballot box in Georgia!

SITE TEAM, MODERATORS, ADMINS! BAN JIM!!! Making snide remarks about Texans is surely against some rule. He hurt my feelings. I need a safe space and the ballot box comment was suspiciously similar to political discourse which is definitely a no-no-no. Ban everybody in fact. Ya'll are grumpy and cantankerous and just plain ol' geezer-folk. (there is a reason I didn't have to disclose my age in my profile btw). In fact, everyone who participates in taking this thread even farther off course should be banned.... ooops best stop there.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #44
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
SITE TEAM, MODERATORS, ADMINS! BAN JIM!!! Making snide remarks about Texans is surely against some rule. He hurt my feelings. I need a safe space and the ballot box comment was suspiciously similar to political discourse which is definitely a no-no-no. Ban everybody in fact. Ya'll are grumpy and cantankerous and just plain ol' geezer-folk. (there is a reason I didn't have to disclose my age in my profile btw). In fact, everyone who participates in taking this thread even farther off course should be banned.... ooops best stop there.
And just what did we do before the internet???! I guess that was along about the time I quit drinking.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #45
dc873cf

I put Carlisle 14 ply tires on my Everest and have been very happy. I was concerned that the tires might be too stiff and would shake the dishes out of our rear kitchen. It doesn’t do it ant worse than before, but I also have my tires balanced and installed the Dexter axle pivot kit. Overkill with your tires as mentioned above is also what I live by. Don’t want to be the guy on the side of the road that we all shake our heads at!
dc873cf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #46
Ccrew

I bought tires with a thought to A:quality and B: availability. In my case I’m 15” so I went endurance because I can walk into about any Goodyear store in the country and get one. If you blow a tire on a tandem axle you’ve invariably overstressed the other tire on that side and you may be replacing 2. If I have to order those tires and wait days to get them unless I’m happy with Boondocking in a tire store parking lot it’s fine with me to pay more. 16” you have more options for good tires IMHO.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #47
W5WI

Good points, BUT... If you don't want to hear other folks opinions, don't ask the question... We all like what we like! And, you can always not read posts you may find offensive.

Cheers,

dale
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:38 AM   #48
81SHOVELHEAD

New Tires

We have a 2014 Keystone 28RLS purchased in October of 2013 . 5 yrs & 20,000 miles with my Trailer king tires with zero issues. Went with Herculese H901 ST tires F rated 12 ply in the 15" size G rated 14 ply in the 16" size. Great tires made by Cooper tire. Replaced due to age not wear.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #49
HDroadglide

I buy my tires from Discount Tires here in Texas and they are Heartland 14 PLY with the extended coverage package so that I can have them rotated and balanced every 7000 miles at no charge. This is on my Raptor 40 ft. toyhauler.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #50
rs1718

New tires

I am having great results with sailun 14 ply tires on my raptor toy hauler same size as yours.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #51
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scran View Post
I know there's been a LOT of discussion about tires on all forums. Not looking for any huge amount of discussion, but certainly am looking for some recommendations if you like what you're running and have had great luck with them!

I'm sure I'll take a hit from some.... but I have been running Samson GL285T (235/85R16's) for the last 5 years - and LOVE THEM! Picked up at least 1mpg and a better ride from the day I bought them, and have had NO issues with them. Just time to replace them. Yep.....they're China bombs, but given my experience with them, are better than almost anything else I've looked at. While I have looked at the GY Endurance (10ply), and the GY G614 (14ply), they would be a good American made alternative, but are just 'WAY' overpriced, in my opinion, at more than 2x the cost of the Samson's (and others).

The Samson's are not so easy to find locally, but I can find them on eBay. I have also found a similar tire at Amazon, with the same ply and load rating and look nearly exactly as Samson's - ST 235/85R16 G 14 Ply Transeagle ASC All Steel Radial Trailer Tire - but have no experience with them.

SO............looking for some of your ideas! If you have experience with anything 'like' the Samson's (steel belted, 14 ply sidewalls, 4,400lb load rating) - or something else that might meet these specifications - I'm interested! Hoping to get the tires swapped out before we hit the road this spring!

BTW.........for those of you disparaging to China bombs... We put on 7-10,000 miles every summer, with a lot of that in the southern US during the summer (May-Oct). I have been delighted with the Samson's. Just time to replace as they will have 5 years on them this spring.

Couple of hints when discussing tires, especially tires that are not well known.
The complete tire size. I believe you have ST235/85R16 and that those tires are Load Range G and that the Samson tires do not have 14 ply. - You can check by reading the tire sidewall where the number and materials are spelled out. Are the Samson steel body tires?

From your post it appears that the Samson and the Transeagle may be what is known as "common Green" which means they are essentially identical except for the name plate on the mold sidewall. Close visual inspection might help confirm or refute this possibility.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #52
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Gee...I didn't make my post to be scolded by others!

By same construction I meant same ply material, number of plies, weight rating, speed rating, etc. Every tire formula is different. If someone hadn't tried Sailun when they first came out, none of us would have known how good they are. TransEagle is trying to try to steal market share from Sailun because I would suspect that they are the market leader in that category.

I would guess that TransEagle purchased Sailun tires, de-constructed, analyzed, and engineered their own tire to compete. Time will tell how they perform. I am willing to give them a try to find out, just like those early adaptors of Sailun.

One way to learn more about the potential of two different named tires might in fact be the same "cake mix" but cooked in a different shaped pan.

Tags
tires