Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #1
TinaMBee1

looking for a mentor

hi all! I'm looking for a camper owner mentor I bought a new to me Keystone camper last year and want to learn how to care for it. My partner is not able to look on the roof, etc. I can climb a ladder and look at the roof but what exactly is it I'm supposed to be looking at/for? This 'rubber/membrane' roof thing has me scared to death. I'm near Fredericksburg, VA and wondering if there is someone out there who'd be willing to teach me some stuff!

Thanks!
TinaBee
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Keystoned

Do you mean a real live human being that is closer than 6 feet away, lol?
This forum is great for virtual mentors, btw.
Free bump
Old 04-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

We have members all over the place and there may be someone local to assist you but most everything on the RV can be discussed and resolved remotely (with your local hands on). That "rubber/membrane roof thing" is nothing to be scared of...they all have one of one kind or another. The biggest thing is to inspect it regularly and make sure there are no holes/gouges etc. in the roof material and there are no cracks, pin holes or other penetrations anywhere along the edges in the sealant that would allow water in. ANY crack or pin hole can get water inside the trailer and cause tremendous damage.

I believe I saw you had a 2014? unit? If so that roof needs to be looked at immediately. You can see holes and gouges but the cracks and pin holes are sometimes very difficult to see. I use a flashlight when trying to peer into any crack or seam (even in the daytime) to see if it needs attention. If so, just apply Dicor (for your type roof - self leveling generally on the top of the roof) liberally on any suspect area after you clean it.....then don't worry or be scared of it. Ask away with questions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Brantlyj

Take a look at this video. Made by a member here.

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Take a look at this video. Made by a member here.

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
that video is perfect!! thanks so much. I didn't think you could walk on the top of the camper but I guess you can. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand up there but if it's going to be done then I guess I need to do it.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #6
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We have members all over the place and there may be someone local to assist you but most everything on the RV can be discussed and resolved remotely (with your local hands on). That "rubber/membrane roof thing" is nothing to be scared of...they all have one of one kind or another. The biggest thing is to inspect it regularly and make sure there are no holes/gouges etc. in the roof material and there are no cracks, pin holes or other penetrations anywhere along the edges in the sealant that would allow water in. ANY crack or pin hole can get water inside the trailer and cause tremendous damage.

I believe I saw you had a 2014? unit? If so that roof needs to be looked at immediately. You can see holes and gouges but the cracks and pin holes are sometimes very difficult to see. I use a flashlight when trying to peer into any crack or seam (even in the daytime) to see if it needs attention. If so, just apply Dicor (for your type roof - self leveling generally on the top of the roof) liberally on any suspect area after you clean it.....then don't worry or be scared of it. Ask away with questions.
yup - mine is a 2014. My inspection is going to have to wait until a warmer day for sure. I can't stand the cold. Can't see myself climbing up a ladder in my long winter coat
Old 04-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
that video is perfect!! thanks so much. I didn't think you could walk on the top of the camper but I guess you can. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand up there but if it's going to be done then I guess I need to do it.
Don't assume because the video showed walking on the roof that you can on YOUR roof. The "typically accepted" indicator is a ladder permanently mounted on the back. If the factory put a ladder on it then it's a "walkable roof" if no ladder then no walking on it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't assume because the video showed walking on the roof that you can on YOUR roof. The "typically accepted" indicator is a ladder permanently mounted on the back. If the factory put a ladder on it then it's a "walkable roof" if no ladder then no walking on it.
thank you for the ladder advice! Whew - I have no permanent ladder so no walking on the roof.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #9
Keystoned

But it can be inspected without walking on it using a ladder safely. I have foam pipe insulator duct taped on the top end of my ladder to prevent scratching...
Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

You can use foam board or plywood if you sand down or cover the edges so it doesn't damage the roof membrane. At my weight I wouldn't do it but I know being female you weigh in under 89 lbs. (you're welcomed).

I'm fortunately tall enough with long enough arms to reach over from a ladder. You are starting off in a good direction. Search the forum, search youtube and ask questions. Many knowledgeable folks here to help.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
TinaMBee1

cover

so got up on a ladder and took a look at my roof. Looks like there are a couple of small places that should probably get some attention. I'm guessing this vent cover thing doesn't come off so how do you check to make sure everything is ok under it? Maybe that's why I should have used a flashlight which I forgot to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover on camper.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	26818  
Old 04-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

That is the refrigerator vent cover. There are screws under the putty (the dark round spots in your picture.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #13
TinaMBee1

thanks for the video on the vent cover ! I love videos so it's okay to take it off. And what do they mean by "self leveling caulk"? Is it going to say that on the package? and I can get that at a Lowe's or some such place? Yup - total novice to repairs - that's me!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Dicor self leveling, buy it online or at an RV parts store/dealer.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #15
Keystoned

Looks like the cover itself needs replacing due to the missing plastic...
Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
TinaMBee1

If you're talking about the holes on the side those holes are evenly spaced so I think they're supposed to be there.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
fjr vfr

There is a Gander Outdoor RV store along I95 just south of Fredericksburg. It's the Thornburg exit on the east side and south from the exit. They should have covers, self leveling sealant and anything else you need.

If you want to go a little further, exit 89 on the north side of Richmond has two of the biggest RV dealers on the east coast next to one another, Camping World and General RV. Prices are usually best at Camping World especially with a Good Sam card, but if I were shopping for an RV I'd go to General RV. They have a better reputation.

If you stop in the parts department at General ask to talk to Brain or Ken. They are a good source of advise. You can also talk to the mechanics there. They are all very helpful.

Good luck and stay safe.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
Keystoned

I see some jagged looking edges on the bottom of the cutout. Mine are not jagged on my TT vent.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #19
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
There is a Gander Outdoor RV store along I95 just south of Fredericksburg. It's the Thornburg exit on the east side and south from the exit. They should have covers, self leveling sealant and anything else you need.

If you want to go a little further, exit 89 on the north side of Richmond has two of the biggest RV dealers on the east coast next to one another, Camping World and General RV. Prices are usually best at Camping World especially with a Good Sam card, but if I were shopping for an RV I'd go to General RV. They have a better reputation.

If you stop in the parts department at General ask to talk to Brain or Ken. They are a good source of advise. You can also talk to the mechanics there. They are all very helpful.

Good luck and stay safe.
I bought my used camper last year from the dealership at Thornburg and I won't go back there so I'm not shopping for a camper but thanks for the suggestion. I bought some of the self-leveling caulk off Amazon and I'm going to look for the cleaning products the guy recommended in the video Brantlyj posted. I am going to get that fridge cover off and take a look under it.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
I bought my used camper last year from the dealership at Thornburg and I won't go back there so I'm not shopping for a camper but thanks for the suggestion. I bought some of the self-leveling caulk off Amazon and I'm going to look for the cleaning products the guy recommended in the video Brantlyj posted. I am going to get that fridge cover off and take a look under it.
The refrigerator top/roof vent is a 2 piece "contraption". What you see in your photo is the "top section of the roof vent". Dig out the sealant from the 4 holes and you'll see 4 screws. Unscrew them and GENTLY pull/wiggle the top part off the assembly. Under it you'll find another plastic/metal vent with screen to prevent bugs/mice/bats from entering your RV. That part is sealed to the roof using the DICOR self leveling sealant. That's the "fridge vent sealant" you need to check. Clean and reseal/repair any and all "questionable sealant beads"....

From the photo, the "removeable, top part of your refrigerator vent is broken. There are no "slits/holes" with jagged edges molded into that component. It's also UV damaged and needs to be replaced. You'll need to buy the complete assembly since "just the top piece" is not available separately. There are two sizes of roof vent, so take the old top part with you when you go to buy the new vent.

Once you get the refrigerator vent resealed and the top section reinstalled, fill those 4 screw holes with sealant. If you don't, water sitting in there will rust the screws, but more importantly, water that freezes in those holes will crack (and destroy) the vent next winter. It's important to seal the holes....

After you get the refrigerator roof vent repaired/resealed, you're just getting started on the roof. You also have all the plumbing vent stacks, the 14" roof vents, the TV antenna, the air conditioning gasket (no DICOR there) all that need to be inspected. After doing that, carefully inspect "ALL THE SIDE MOLDINGS" all around the perimeter of the roof, carefully checking it for damage, loose screws, defective sealant. Don't forget to also check the front "roof/front panel" seam. It's an aluminum strip screwed over the TPO/FILON/or aluminum section that makes up the front of the trailer. That seam, on either side of the aluminum strip AND the screws that attach it in place are probably the "biggest reason for trailer rot" so be sure to very carefully the entire roof.

After that, check all windows, all baggage doors, the entry door, the awning rails, the bottom "J wrap molding", the wheelwell screws, the clearance lights, the tail lights, the roof ladder (if you have one), the range hood vent, the city water inlet, mouse hole for the shore power cord, and any other "places on the trailer where the factory "punched, cut, sawed or knocked a hole in the trailer".... Make sure the ENTIRE trailer and all openings are inspected for sealant damage, UV damage and/or evidence of loose screws/leaks/rust stains or anything else that looks "wonkey"....

It ain't an afternoon job, it's a weekend of dedicated effort job, and in some cases, much more than can be done in a weekend....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote