Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
BillnDeb

Wink Newbies-Cougar 28sgs

We just left our cougar at Camping World for paint sealant and fabric protector. We will pick it up tomorrow in our new F150 Ecoboost Lariat with full tow package (11,300).
We are ready to begin our dream started 3 years ago. We're newly retired and plan to start light, mainly travel to see our new grand baby (14 hours away).
We were on Forest River Forum for past three months as we tried to decide how to camp and travel. Of course, we know everyone will say why not a 250 or 2500...we just don't want that kind of vehicle when we're not camping...

Debbie
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
danimal

from East Orlando. This site has been very helpful for me as I am a DYI guy as well as providing helpful hints and insights. Yes, for safety reasons folks will suggest that "you need a bigger truck" but that is when someone is at or over their truck's stated weight capacities calculated using the dry weight of a trailer, before loading. Or, when someone is clearly overweight and trying to justify it by saying that it "feels OK" or that it "pulls just fine". There definitely are more trailers out there that can safely be towed by a half ton truck as opposed to trailers that require a 3/4 or 1 ton. I didn't really want a 2500 either but I have a 5th wheel, a small one. When I add the pin weight of 1150lbs to me and the wife, the hitch, full tank of gasoline, propane, and other stowed items I would substantially exceed the gross carrying weight capacity of any 1/2 ton. Sure, it would "pull just fine".

Enjoy your new trailer and have many years of happy camping. We are Dan&Deb
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
BillnDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
from East Orlando. This site has been very helpful for me as I am a DYI guy as well as providing helpful hints and insights. Yes, for safety reasons folks will suggest that "you need a bigger truck" but that is when someone is at or over their truck's stated weight capacities calculated using the dry weight of a trailer, before loading. Or, when someone is clearly overweight and trying to justify it by saying that it "feels OK" or that it "pulls just fine". There definitely are more trailers out there that can safely be towed by a half ton truck as opposed to trailers that require a 3/4 or 1 ton. I didn't really want a 2500 either but I have a 5th wheel, a small one. When I add the pin weight of 1150lbs to me and the wife, the hitch, full tank of gasoline, propane, and other stowed items I would substantially exceed the gross carrying weight capacity of any 1/2 ton. Sure, it would "pull just fine".

Enjoy your new trailer and have many years of happy camping. We are Dan&Deb
Thanks! My hubby is a DYI guy, too! I am joking we have to weigh everything before it goes in. Our quest in life is to be minimalists and we're both pretty low maintenance.
We've learned a lot from the Forest River Forum, but since we bought a keystone, found this and hope to learn more about our brand!
Debbie
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
XLite28SGS

Hi BillnDeb,
Cograt's on a great camper. We have had ours for about a year & a half and love it. No problems that I couldn't handle myself.

Before we left for a 16 day trip in May I had my rig weighed on a "Cat Scale" at a truck stop.

The camper and truck were loaded for the trip, including 2 - 2000w Honda generators & extra gas, fire wood, food and drink for about 7 days, truck full of gas & wife (co-pilot). Generators & firewood in truck bed.

I have a different truck (GMC - 2500HD - Gas) but here are my weights.

Truck w/attached Trailer------9220#
Truck weight-----------------7400#
Trailer Vertical Load (Kingpin)-1820#
Trailer Gross weight----------8700#
Truck & Trailer Combined Wt.-16100#
Kingpin Percentage--------------21%

The Cougar 28SGS seams to be balanced very well (center kitchen). I travel with minimal water on board.

We towed approx. 1900 miles in May with no problems.

Enjoy your new camper

Allan & Sadie
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
BillnDeb

Thanks Allan and Sadie,
Question-we noticed the docking light will not turn off. Bill thinks its a bad switch. We're still by the dealership, but are packing up to head home. Then we wondered is it a safety feature to be on? But there is the switch!
Our daughter lives in Fredericksburg, VA so we will be spending lots of time in that area-major reason we pushed to get 'er going! We plan to camp in the area for a month when she returns to work-I'll watch the baby for her first month back to work and hubby will help son-in-law do some remodeling. Weekends, we'd love to go hiking in the Shenandoah valley.
We pulled out our new rig of Camping World Thursday and camped 2 nights close by in Tampa East RV park. Which was nice, but with all the rain, we've sunk down a bit!
We do need to go get weighed! Our truck has gauges that show everything so we will quickly learned how well the F150 Ecoboost will do! A good friend and her hubby pulled a light Evergreen across country and up through Banff in their 2500 Silverado Diesel. They had some issues with it having enough horsepower....of course they suggested to us to get a 250...
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
BillnDeb

We just stopped by Camping World-Tampa. John Singary, Shop Coordinator, took care of us right away (still considered "delivery"). He got a technician out to see us. First thing he said was to give him the remote. It has a button to turn the docking light on and off. It was overriding the switch on the RV.
We've never been that great with remote controls...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
danimal

Your ecoboost probably has more horsepower and torque than my 6.0 gas 2500 you should have no problems towing your trailer. The main difference with gas and diesel power is torque, not horspower and the RPM where torque is achieved. Torque, not horsepower, is what is needed to pull. A deisel will have roughly twice the torque as our gas engines with the torque peaking around 2000 rpm which is roughly where the truck is at for highway speeds. In gas engines torque peaks around 4500-5000 RPM. Consequently, with gas engines we experience alot more transmission shifting while towing and especially when encountering hills. Much more in the mountains. (people, please don't jump on me for not using exact numbers).

I would suggest using the tow/haul feature in your truck. I never used it with a smaller trailer but use it all the time with our current trailer. As long as you are not in a hurry, towing is a breeze.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase. Travel safely.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
XLite28SGS

BillnDeb,
Sorry I did not respond sooner - Out of town - High School reunion.

Yes if you turn the light on with the remote you must turn it off with the remote. The remote is a great feature but I seldom use it (landing gear some times).
You didn't say when you were going to be in Fredericksburg but the top of Virginia can be beautiful this time of year, especially the Shenandoah Valley.

Lots to see and do - Harpers Ferry on the north end - Winchester to Newmarket going south (lots of Civil War Sites) - Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive - Luray and/or Skyline Caverns, the list goes on and on.

If I can help with Campgrounds, let me know.

Allan

PS, We live in the Shenandoah Valley - East of Winchester
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
CWSWine

I just weight my today and here is the number for my 28SGS.

Truck Specs:
Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab – 6.5 Bed – 4 Wheel Drive – Z71
GVWR = 10,000
GVWR FRT = 6000
GVWR RR = 6200
Cargo Weight 2475

Truck Scale Weight
Steer Axle = 4780
Dive Axle – 3220
Gross Weight = 8000

5th Wheel Scale Weight (Load to go camping)
Steer Axle = 4700
Dive Axle 5220
Trailer Axle 6840
Gross Weight 16,760

The trailer is Cougar X-Lite ˝ ton towable model number 28SGS.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
BillnDeb

We've never weighed ourselves, but again, we're minimalists, so we feel confident we're fine in our weight.
I keep a little electronic log with our camp ground stays, so for what it's worth, here we are to date:
1). Tampa East, FL, Sun RV resorts, 9/5-9/7/2013 (2 nights)
2) Port St. Lucie RV Resort, FL, a Passport America, 9/17-9/21/2013
(4 nights)
3). Jekyll Island Campground, 10/4-6/2013 (3 nights)
4). Ocean Lakes Campground, Myrtle Beach, SC, 10/7-10/2013 (3 nights)
5). KOA Fredericksburg, VA, 10/10-11/19 (40 nights)
6). Forest Lake RV & Camping Resort, 192 Thousand Trails Drive, Advance, NC 27006 11/19-11/22 (3 nights)
7). Scenic Mountain RV Park
2686 Irwinton Road/Business 441 N, Milledgeville, GA 31061 11/22-11/26 (4 nights)
8). PANAMA CITY BEACH RV RESORT, 4702 THOMAS DR
PANAMA CITY BEACH, FL 32408,
11/26-12/1 (5 nights)
9) Jolly Time Acres, St. George, SC, Dec 18 (one night)
10). KOA Fredericksburg, 12/19-today (we plan to leave 1/2/14)

Truck is fabulous, made to tow! It's comfy with or without 5th wheel!

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com