Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #41
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
If I remember correctly, a tt had to be dual certified by UL and CSA to enter Canada. Is this still in effect or is it just for tt's that will stay and be registered in Canada? We really want to get back to Sudbury but our travels there were by car only. Thanks for any help given as the Canadian border site does not seem to address this.
Canadian here. Really simple answer NO. If you are good where you live you are good in Canada, reciprocity.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #42
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Judging by the responses and total lack of real answers, it seems like Canada, and Ontario in particular, is not filled with the friendly and welcoming people we experienced when we were much younger. What a disappointment. Instead of visiting a country that we consider at least as beautiful as the US, we will concentrate on visiting the 9 remaining states in the lower 47 that we have not visited. Good thing we found out now as the planning for the big trip in 2022 is about to begin. Thanks to all who cleared our thinking about our neighbor to the north.
I am not sure what set you off, but Sudbury was one of the most polluted places on the planet and the big smoke stack they built killed lakes in vacation country of the rich and powerful southern Ontarians. They have done a fantastic job of cleaning it up, but Sudbury will always be the butt of jokes until that generation is gone. Did you know that the Sudbury slag dunes were the testing site for the moon buggy?
The drive from Sudbury to Thunder Bay is one of the 4 most scenic drives in Canada.
I lived in a small dead mining town between Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie so I know the history quite well.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #43
mpellet723

Camping in Canada.

Before the pandemic we used to drive over the border once or twice a year.
The only issues were when we came back to the USA especially if we just went up on a day trip of just a few hours. The USBP you treat us like we were dirt the were not nice at and always search our vehicle.
The last couple of times it was the CBP that had all the questions and concerns, and were a lot less friendly.
When this madness gets done we would like to try camping in Canada. Any campground recommendations North of NH, VT, or Maine?
mpellet723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #44
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Sonofcy, if you read the posts before the thread got hijacked you would see what set me off!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #45
Northofu1

Sniff

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #46
Garry hunter

I would like to get back to Sudbury also. Good people, good times always. Years ago while working in Thunder Bay there was talk of dividing Ontario north, South at Sudbury, Sault now you can see why.
Garry hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #47
Harried Harry

This theme has gone a loooong way from the start but each post has been interesting to read and contemplate about why the person posted the tidbit. Probably in another two or three hundred years or so, all of North America will be one country divided by dialect. Then who knows what we'll be talking about for fun. Hopefully, we'll have learned to get along better than we do now. Of course, with things getting hotter, many of us in hotter climes will have moved north so we don't die from thirst and heat.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #48
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
About 6 years ago I had to go to Toronto for business. The company I worked for had 3 bakery/cafes in Canada and I had to inspect the Toronto location before the company bought it back from the franchisee. At the time Canada was really harassing Americans entering the country. I decided to drive up and took the DW with me.

We crossed at Rainbow Bridge. Did it many many times when out DD was in college in Buffalo, NY. We used to take her and her roommates over and buy them dinner as the exchange rate was ridiculously advantageous for the dollar back then. We would go up to visit our DD and buy her clothes and other things in Canada. Spent a fair amount of money in those 4 years she was in college.

Anyway, DW and I go thru and the usual questions and was told to pull over and go inside. After 5 hours pof just waiting we got questioned. I had emails, and other documents stating my business. Then they asked me why the company wouldn't hire a Canadian to do this. I explained that I was in charge of roughly 350+or-locations and hiring someone for 3 locations was not economically viable.

Then to make my visit worse I entered a toll highway. The GPS directed mt to the toll road. No toll booth, just electronic which was not evident until you were well committed on the entrance. Of course my EZ Pass was not recognized. That 5 mile journey cost me $125 when I returned home and found the "violation" in the mail. I felt like I had crossed Checkpoint Charlie in 1960 Berlin and was mot only interrogated by the Stassi but had to pay for that pleasure.

That trip did not leave me feeling "warm and fuzzy" topwards Canada. No offense to the Canadians here and perhaps things have changed but if I'm not welcomed then I spend my money where I am. JMHO
There is a huge difference between crossing for pleasure versus business and it works both ways. I am Canadian and used to travel a lot to the US on business. I had many unpleasant crossings whereas the many pleasure trips were hassle free.
As far as the toll situation, well that's a private company and they ding us as well. I have also received a ticket from the Chicago area that I just ignored.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #49
notanlines

Ron, I'll bet Cook County has two patrol cars perched scanning all Ford trucks with Canadian tags waiting on you...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #50
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ron, I'll bet Cook County has two patrol cars perched scanning all Ford trucks with Canadian tags waiting on you...
That's ok, my current truck has never been in the US so they won't get a match.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:43 AM   #51
gearhead

What's a Tim Horton, and a bit??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:21 AM   #52
notanlines

Tim Horton was a famous Canadian hockey player who got into the donut business. It worked out well for him and his investors all across Canada and then creeping into the US, although slowly. Some years ago the parent company of Burger King took a liking to it and bought it. Also before that Tim Horton expanded and went into sandwiches and soups and the like. Things just went south from there. When Canadians say they just aren't the same they are telling the truth.
Timbits are the same as donuts holes, just their cutesy name for them, and they aren't any better, they just taste old these days.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 AM   #53
NH_Bulldog

In the Northeast US we have Dunkin Donuts and their Munchkins (donut holes). I am certain there are similar regional favorites across North America.

On a side note, we also use the term Donut Hole as a friendlier term to replace the hole that starts with the letter A. Example: That donut hole just cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes! Often used in the presence of kids or a Mother-In-Law.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:41 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

Very common theme in business. They decide to diversify and end up loosing focus on their core business. Sears did that 50 years ago when they decided to get into selling insurance, home improvements, cars, and banking. They never recovered from that after abandoning those ventures.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 AM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
What's a Tim Horton, and a bit??
I suppose you could think of Tim Horton's as a "Canadian Krispy Kreme"..... But, their donuts simply aren't as good as a fresh glazed KK with a cup of KK's coffee.... TimBits: The "leftover plug" that comes from the center of a donut. Some people like them, but when driving, you've got to reach into the bag way too many times to get the same amount of donut as in a single glazed KK.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #56
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I suppose you could think of Tim Horton's as a "Canadian Krispy Kreme"..... But, their donuts simply aren't as good as a fresh glazed KK with a cup of KK's coffee.... TimBits: The "leftover plug" that comes from the center of a donut. Some people like them, but when driving, you've got to reach into the bag way too many times to get the same amount of donut as in a single glazed KK.....
Where we were in Texas there was a mom/pop donut shop on one corner & a block away was Krispy Kreme, any given day vehicles lined up around the block to get the mom/pop donuts passing by KK to get them. Then apparently either the franchisee went bust or KK did as all of them in the area closed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #57
Northofu1

Tim Horton's used to be a decent franchise. Happy with their Southern Ontario market. Got talked into expansion, kept the name after he died and kept all the money, taking advantage of his grieving widow (who had a dependency on pharmaceuticals) and family out of all the profits. Were bought buy Pepsi I believe (?) and headed into a different direction. Bought buy another Canadian conglomerate then sold again to BK.
The coffee sucks, they treat staff like garbage, their donuts definitely suck, but not near as bad as KK. KK has one store left open in the GTA in Mississauga the rest all failed.
As much as most people rail about Starbucks, they're #1 in the coffee business. For now. Jus' sayin.
Day 15 of the hijacking

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #58
flybouy
Site Team

I think the "Helsinki Syndrome" has kicked in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote