Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
moodman

Gel Coat Fiberglass Stains

I have a 2018 Montana HC. I bought it new and the salesman talked me into getting a "special" coating (Camping World) that he said would make dirt roll off and not need waxing. The coating cost as I recall, over $1,000. Lesson learned I guess.
Here it is 2020 and all surfaces that haven't been exposed to the sun still look great. But the side that gets afternoon sun has a "haze" and in addition has these white streaks running vertically down the side. They look like water spots on glassware. (See attached picture)
I have washed my rig regularly and use the pink RV wash and wax in my water. I think this might be the source of the stains, since maybe the sun is prematurely drying the wax and it doesn't evaporate properly (just a theory)
Anyway, I can't seem to remove the haze or the streaks. It isn't coming from the roof because if it was it would be on all four sides.
Has anyone here experienced this? I don't really want to do any power tool buffing, but there must be a great product that will remove this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_102616_resized.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	26941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_102600_resized.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	26942  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
bomberchamp

Read my thread titled all shined up again. I too got suckered into the camping world worthless coating. My rig looked like yours but maybe a touch worse. I tried doing the job without a buffer but finally bit the bullet, did some research and learned how to do the job properly.
Good luck it’s not easy but worth the effort.
bomberchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
moodman

So what's causing these streaks?
Old 04-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I would bet those streaks are exactly what you think - the "wash and wax" pink stuff. Tried in once (on this new trailer) and that is exactly what it looked like. I too think it's because the "wax" dries in streaks and then is just like dried car wax to remove. After trying that pink stuff and getting this result I took Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All to the entire trailer (yes, hand rubbing) to remove those streaks. Had to keep the sun just right so I could get them all off. Won't be using that stuff (pink) again. Threw the new bottle away when I finished with the WashWax All.

As far as those "wonder" coatings, I bought one on this trailer. The finance guy kept telling us "paint fades - congratulations! New paint job!", get a tear in the furniture "congratulations! New furniture!". I quizzed him extensively on those statements and he assured me it was 100% accurate so bit on it. Went home and reviewed those products, the actual contract with that company (which he didn't have while we were discussing) and BBB reviews. All, including the company, said they do not repaint anything nor do they replace anything. A scam for sure. I contacted the GM the next day and cancelled the contract. Got the email from the company to the finance guy stating it was cancelled but strangely I still haven't been refunded my money. The GM is involved in it and assures me it will be done so we'll see. In the future I would advise anyone and everyone to completely ignore that product. It does nothing for the interior/exterior and leads one to think they can just neglect the outside - you cannot. If your trailer did in fact start oxidizing/fading the most they would do is pay to have it buffed....if they agreed to do it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
moodman

OK, well if it is dried on wax, then wouldn't you suppose that something that removes wax, like a wax solvent, would take them off?
Old 04-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I don't, and never have, used a "solvent" of any kind on the sidewalls of my RVs and I wouldn't recommend it. Others may and may have had wonderful success but there are too many "conflicts" in different agents for me to just put a "solvent" on such a delicate finish.

What I used worked perfectly and looked super. As far as I know there is no "easy" way that doesn't involve work to maintain the exterior of these RVs. I suppose there are some that have found it but I think I generally see them with the oxidized/faded sidewalls and caps on the highway and in parks.

Now I will say that the wash/wax product I used was only to rid myself of those streaks. That will not be the final wax product on the trailer and I will use 303 on the decals - yes, even more work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
gearhead

Yes, read bomberchamps post. We had a 2014 Montana HC that the Texas sun would just eat up. I fought the oxidation every spring and fall. The best I found was 3M premium fiberglass restorer and wax and a random orbit buffer. But I didn't try Griots Garage products.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
moodman

I went out today and tried several chemicals on a hidden area. Here is what I tried:

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
Acetone
Denatured Alcohol
Meguiars wheel cleaner
Toilet Bowl cleaner
Vinegar
CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust)
Goo Gone
floor wax
Ammonia

The results? None of those products touched it, EXCEPT the ammonia. I had mixed results with the Goo Gone. At first, it seemed the GooGone did a fantastic job. It shined up immediately. But once it evaporated, the streaks came back.

But, the ammonia did a strange thing, and I think I now know what the streaks are...

In effect, the ammonia DID take the streaks away (or so I thought). When it dried, the streaks were gone, but so was the "shine". Additionally, the area where I tried the ammonia was lighter in color, although now it was dull.

I looked even closer, and the area between the "streaks" where it was still shiny, were also a darker color than the sub-surface. I am theorizing that the "shine" I am seeing is perhaps the actual coating that was applied when I bought it, but has now darkened with age. But the "streaks" are not on TOP of the finish, but instead they have eaten away at the original finish and revealed the fiberglass underneath. In short, they aren't deposits, but are areas where it has taken off the coating. So now I wonder why that happened on the sun side but not on the shade side?
Old 04-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Uh. just a suggestion, I wouldn't go opening up the chemistry set on your camper. You may have performed your "experiments in an inconspicuous spot but sometimes chemical reactions can be fas, sometimes slow. It would be shame to check on it and find a soft spot or a hole. There's a reason the mfg say "use a mild soapy solution to clean and rinse well" I'd suggest checking with (yes paying) a professional detailer or body shop to rectify it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass