Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
Exsailor

Thing I've never understood is why such a wide array of service levels in KOA. With a national chain you would expect more standardization. If you get a big Mac in Georgia or Oregon the food and crappy service are about the same. I've never understood KOA.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
hankaye

Howdy All;

Las Vegas, New Mexico! KOA;

http://koa.com/campgrounds/las-vegas-new-mexico/

Great place to stay! Rascal and I enjoyed the night we spent there.
Well maintained. Folks were very friendly. Have a small restraunt out back of the office. Denny cooks the best Green Chili cheesburger I've had so far. had the other 2 in other parts of N.M.
$35.and change for the night with discount (VFW, AARP and a few others).
Just East of I-25 South of town.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
jramsey

Willitts Ca

My wife and I stayed at the KOA in Willitts California on our return trip from Oregon. Beatiful setting and very well maintained. Great place for the kids with a small water park, petting zoo and fish pond. It also has disk golf and great hiking trails. all for about $65. It is just a couple of miles west of the town of Willitts off of Hiway 101 towards Fort Bragg.

Fir Na Tine
Ora et labora
2011 Cougar high country 299 RKS
2014 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
Jim & Kay

Red Lodge KOA, Red Lodge, MT (2) Our stay was July 2011. Nice owner & employees but the campground needed lots of work. Had not been mowed, no gravel, etc... But Red Lodge sits at the base of the Bear Tooth Mts. an awesome site that is a must see. The small western town of Red Lodge was very nice.

Dubois KOA, Dubois, WY (-1) Aug. 2011, The Dust Bowl of Wyoming. Dust was several inches thick every where and the owners road around on a golf cart at break neck speed stirring it up. The old western town and Cowboy Cafe were great. Also, enjoyed the Big Horn Sheep Museum in town.

Have stayed at other KOA's in the past that were very nice and some not so.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
ColoradoKeystone

Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Estes Park, Co. ? We just booked it for the Irish Fest. It was 66.00 a night including our disc for being a member. Just wanted to know if it is worth the money.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
mic1hael

KOA Astoria in Oregon

In my opinion the KOA in Astoria, Oregon is the best KOA my family and I have stayed at. Some sites are paved while other sites are secluded and there is plenty to do for the whole family including a wonderful pancake breakfast. If you're ever in oregon this is the KOA to stay at. Plus your only minutes away from the coast.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
jje1960

Koa

We have stayed at the KOA's for years, renew our card every year even though we may not stay that year. We get points now, get free camping after point level achievement.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #28
chris199

Wytheville, NC

DW and I spent the night at the KOA in Wytheville, VA (pronouned withville).

Not really impressed at all. Was great for a 1 night pass thru. Seleted a pull thru sight via after hrs check in. Wouldn't stay here for a weekend or extended trip.....pull thru sites very narrow. Would stay here again for 1 night while travelling. Very close to highway.....rts 81 and 77.

Cabins had a fence immed out front with camp sites right on the other side....didn't seem fair to cabin renters.

** out of 5

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Jseverence

Recently stayed at the Natural Bridges KOA, in Va. It is very convent to Interstate 81, but not close enough that you could hear the highway noise. The staff was both friendly and efficient. My DW said the lady facilities where very clean. We choose this KOA based upon it was a mid point on a visit to Charleston, SC from upstate NY. On the way down, we chose only electric and water hook up. the site was small but sufficient for out 32 ft. Outback and we were only staying the night. ($40 with KOA discount). On the way back we did the same thing but with pull through and full hookup. ( $60). to sum it up, it was a safe, clean and convent and would use it again on future trips.
Reese R16 5th wheel hitch, with with slider.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
jbsmith

Curious if anyone has ever stayed at the KOA in Hocking Hills, OH or if there is a better campground for a no-kids, long weekend outing with the DW.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #31
fla-gypsy

I have stayed at one KOA. Pprobably will never stay at another one. I am a state park/COE/NFS kind of camper. Average cost less than $30 a night.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #32
gkainz

I'm a National Forest boondocker but my wife is a KOA Kamper so we alternate or compromise with NF or State campgrounds
Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
PA5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpuddie View Post
We just stayed at the KOA in Harpers Ferry,WVA and had a great time. 2miles from Historical Harpers Ferry, next to battlefiled, close to Charlestown and shopping. You can go tubing or rafting/kayaking down the nearby rivers, hike trails from the KOA. They have a very nice pool and lots for kids to do. I give it a 4.5!
X2. We were there a year ago. Had a great stay.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
rode2nowhere

Bowling Green Kentucky koa., pricey, sites good, right off interstate, needed updating imo.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
dksd39

We are just completing a 15 day 2k mile trip all of which was spent on private property until tonight. We decided to split our last days drive and pulled into the KOA in Calhoun GA. This is my first KOA stay and have to say..If they are all like this place I will be giving more of them a try. We were greeted with smiles and treats for our dogs then minutes after being in our spot the cart pulled up with fresh hot chocolate chip cookies. They have a cute little petting zoo with friendly animals. One of the most beautiful peacocks I have ever seen and even offer food delivery to your spot made to order.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
bennydog

Currently in the Klamath Falls OR KOA. Got here Thursday night so the DW could participate in the Master Regional Rowing competition. We're here thru Monday and then headed for Lassen NP where we'll stay in the park. Nice folks and just on the edge of town so close to the rowing. I use KOA's mostly as on the way places to stay, great for one night as the are usually close to the main road, and mostly clean. If it were not for the racing I would not spend 4 nights in one. Rather be up in Crater Lake.

B

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
fred1609

I wouldn't go to a CG unless I checked it out on campgroundreviews.com I get one big trip a year for 3-4 weeks and I want to stay in good campgrounds.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #38
gahanunda

Spent 6 days at Association Island KOA on eastern end of Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor. Very clean and friendly staff. Has its own marina and rental kayacks and canoes. We enjoyed our stay

Dick & Jane
Semper Fi
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
cathcartww

We prefer state parks, etc. but occassionally a KOA happens to be the best option near where we want to be. Since we do not have kids, and tend to travel during the off season, we really never take advantage of all the activities and ameneties that most KOAs offer. Ones we have stayed in recently:

KOA Virginia Beach, VA (4): Twice now, because of high winds, they would not let us on the Bay Bridge Tunnel, so we ended up in the KOA for the night. Seems nice enough, with a variety of different types of sites from tent to full hookup pull throughs . Not that close to the beach, but I was told they offer a free shuttle during the season. Depending on the wind direction, the adjacent Navy Air Station can be noisy, but the planes are fun to watch, and shut down at night. Around $60

KOA 1000 Islands/Ivy Lea Ontario, Canada: (5) very nice park just full of families, and bustling with activities. Had a deluxe site with patio with furniture, fireplace, etc. for around $60 a night.

KOA St. Augustine, FL (4): Could not get reservations at Anastasia SP, so ended up in the KOA for like $75 a night. Pretty place with a nice duck pond, paved sites, pool, etc. Close to downtown and the beaches - right up the street from the State Park.

Fayatteville/Wade KOA, NC: (4) We usually stop for the night at Pedro's Campground at South of the Border for $22, but it was Academy Award night and Pedro's didn't have cable. Got a pull though grass site (no sewer) for like $35. Was off season, and most guests were snowbirds like us, but it seemed to have all the KOA stuff. They have since installed some bare bones pull throughs right at the gate for transients, but I do not know what they charge.

Just a note about the Florida Keys - daily rates are high. Even if you manage to get into one of the State Parks, sites are $38 and don't have sewer and stay is limited to two weeks. You will be hard pressed to find a private campground for less that $100/ night. We paid $125 at Gieger Key for a waterfront site with full hookups last February, and it was fantastic! New Mexico is nice, but it is pretty far from the Ocean .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #40
Lack of HP

Koa

If you are in the midwest around Branson, Mo. I would highly recommend the Branson KOA. They have the best customer service and best accomodating staff of any KOA I have stayed at. Average price with a KOA card deluxe site about $45.

One KOA I would not recommend or stay at again is the Nashville KOA. $60. plus and no sleep for the weekly drunk day workers. Can not believe they allow it to be called a KOA.
Closed Thread