Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
chris199

Am I Nuts? 2008 Silverado Duramax LTZ??

Just test drove a 2008 Silverado Duramax LTZ last night. It's clean....8' bed....and loaded with every option under the sun. Price is $40K. Miles are 47K.

I can't tell you how tempted I am to trade my 2012 Tundra. Anyone else been here?

1 yr old gas truck vs. 5 year old diesel.

I have 22K miles on the Tundra already. There's onlt 47K on the Chevy.

I'm towing a 29REV Cougar.....less than 8,000 lbs total weight. I am at the borderline on payload on the Toyota....all other parameters on towing I think are fine.

May have 1 or 2 trips out west in the next 5 years but 98% of our towing is up and down the east cost.

Money is money....just not sure spending the extra $15K and having a payment for 6 years vs. just 4 more is a wise choice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
x96mnn

I can't say your crazy because I don't really know! The shock of seeing a 40k price on a 2008 truck tossed me for a loop but I can't really find anything like it with that low of km. A 2011 wth 145k is going for 40k.

My concern will be warranty with that truck being 13 years old when your done paying for it if I read correctly. Does your tundra haul well and feel safe or are you nervous or know your over the limit? You can't put a price on safety but I would have some concerns on this deal based on the age diffrence. Hope someone with more experiance with these trucks chimes in.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Jim W

Is the truck being sold by a dealer or a private party?

Has a programmer been installed on the truck’s ECM, dealer can tell you this by reading the ECM.

What is the Blue Book or NADA vehicle price listed as retail for this model of truck?

Here is a very good read for buying a used turbo diesel truck. Even though it is slanted to a Ram Cummins truck most of what the PDF book says can be applied to a Durmax/Powerstroke engine equipped truck.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

Good Luck
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
chris199

It is a Certified Used Truck....GMC dealer.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Chris, I just went to Chevy's truck site and built a truck. This is what I came up with. (2013 Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab, Long Box LT 2WD$40,950*) Granted it is not loaded but it shows that you would be paying for 5 year old options. So even adding $10,000 in options you could get a new truck with full warranty and a lower interest rate. When I bought my Dodge, instead of taking a loaded model off the lot I ordered just what I wanted from the factory and saved big time $$$$$. You have to be willing to wait and that is tough. Try it yourself and see. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
SteveC7010

The other option is to poke around and see if you can find a similar, but new 2012. There are some left here and there, and the dealers will wheel and deal to move them out. On a used truck, they've got X number of dollars into it because of whatever they laid down on the trade-in, and won't have as much wiggle room on final price.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
chris199

OK. This truck is the LTZ, Crew Cab (minor detail - sorry), 4WD, Duramax Diesel, Allison Tranny....has every option under the sun...long 8' bed, sunroof, DVD in headrests, leather/heated/power seats, Rhino lining, power back window, etc. I think this truck new is in the $65K range.

The $40K price seems reasonable if not on the low end. I found 200+ trucks on Cars.com that were configured similarly in the $40K - $45K range.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Paddler

I have to agree with Hankpage, I just priced out a new GMC Sierra, Crew Cab, SLE, short bed, 2wd with the Duramax and Allison for $44K. With discounts and your Tundra in trade...why buy used???
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
chris199

You're right. I priced it out with all the options, the 4x4, etc. and came up with $54K brand new. For some reason I was thinking this truck was $65 new. There's no way I'll ever spend $65K on a truck. I just can't bring myself to do that. Maybe if I can talk them down to $35.

KBB says $44K is the retail price in Excellent Condition. This is in Very Good condition IMHO.

I think the LTZ is the high end with all the options...adds a few grand.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
rnkburg

A big selling point to the 08 is that it does not require DEF , People are paying top for those trucks because fuel mileage is a little better. As far as towing and handling if you towed with it you wouldn't look back.

Around here you can get 10's for that price but higher miles.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
3P'sInACougar

U might want to look at ford diesel. Can get one in Michigan for under $30000
An around 50000miles. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
A big selling point to the 08 is that it does not require DEF , People are paying top for those trucks because fuel mileage is a little better. As far as towing and handling if you towed with it you wouldn't look back.

Now the price makes sense! Still you have to consider the interest rates between new and used since you will be financing. Bottom line, in the end you may pay more for the used truck. Do the math and enjoy whatever you decide, Hank

If tires are not new tack on another $1,000+....
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Outbackmel

2008 Dodge

I bought a 2008 Dodge crew cab, short bed 2wd, 6.7 cummins turbo with 17,000 miles 2 years ago at Carmax. All the right stuff for towing was added for $700. No sunroof, no leather, no payments. Paid $34,000 cash for the truck and pull a 36ft Outback and LOVE it .... be cautious and know that diesel requires TLC and routine maintenance to reach those 300,000 miles people talk about. That takes $$ as well. Now have 40,000 miles on it, and LOVE it every day I drive it. 3 adults and a caged cat ( not the DW ) across the US and back.

Also, you might check all of the RV Trader web sites and contact people who say they will sell their tow vehicle as soon as they sell their RV. With the economic pull back and the higher cost of fuel, some potential buyers may have gotten cold feet and decided to hotel it a few more years.

When I bought my truck, I had a 2005 GMC, Duramax in mind. It was in FL. I was about to pull the trigger when this Dodge popped up in GA at Carmax. Put it on a four hour HOLD and drove 90 miles to test it and wound up buying it. I say, do your home work, know what capabilities YOU need and do NOT dilly dally when something seems good. Any doubts when buying from a private individual, offer to meet him at the BRAND dealership and pay for a mechanical review. Better to find out about any issues for a couple of hundred bucks BEFORE buying rather than paying thousands, plus have down time and inconvenience later.

WARNING: there are literally thousands of flood vehicles out there that WERE supposed to be scrapped. MANY make it back onto the roads of America.

Trust this: I was in auto finance for 38 years and directed sale of many 10's of thousands of cars and trucks; repos and off lease and executive off lease.
Never buy a repo because it is a good deal. Never ASSUME a new car dealer has all "little old lady" driver vehicles on the used car lot. People push maintenance to the botom of their priority list when they have to, or desire to, surrender the vehicle. ASK, ASK, where did this vehicle come from? Can they verify it? Have they done any work on it? Do they have an Internal Work Order that can accompany the sale? Did the vheicle ever have a "recall" and was the recall work performed? There are plenty of good vehicles and honest people out there....the good ones NEVER doubt a well informed buyer.

Hey, this is YOUR money. Spend it wisely. Just say'n

ps: retired Manager; Ford Motor Credit Company
retired: Bank of America, Dealer Financial Services (formerly Barnett
Bank NA, Jacksonville, FL)
Former: End of lease term corporate VP nationally for US Bank

Been there, Done that.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Jim W

Chris,
I bought a 2008 6.7L Ram Mega Cab new in Nov 2007. The truck had everything that I wanted on it; 4X4, 3:73 gears 6 SPD auto SLT and rear sliding window. I drove the truck off the lot for $38,500 plus tax, no trade in vehicle, when I was done dealing for the truck. I walk out of two dealers who tried to low ball and then change the price at time of signing. MY DW could not believe me that I just got up and walked from them, I will not scream or yell nor argue with a dealer. Do not need the stress. I ask for the best price and if I do not like it I walk.

So my advice is to buy a new truck with the full warranty and order what you want, someone bought this truck and either it was reposes or something is wrong with it. No one would sell this truck with this low of miles on it unless there was an issue.
Just my opinion.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

ONLY the dw will atteset to your sanity also check the nada value. nada national auto dealers assocation. they are a bit more realistic then kelly blue book. but i have to agree with the others that have said at that price i might go for new rather then uased. i personally do not want all the bells and whistels as they just fail in time. my joke is, people ask no entertainment system! outside of the radio I have a windshield all the entertainment i need is just on ther otherside of the glass good luck with whatever choise you make
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
cmssorrell

I brought a 2008 Ford F350 Dually 6.4 diesel Crew Cab, 8ft bed "loaded" with 38000 miles for $33,000 last July.

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
kenn209

There is a nice 08 D-Max here in Va, has less than 15k miles LTZ loaded to the max... He wants 43k for it. I thought that was a bit much. But it is pretty close to brand new.

http://www.warrentonselect.com/detai...d-9769538.html
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post

I am not sure why people are so scared of DEF. If I am not mistaken the fuel mileage is actually better on a DEF equipped truck. I hate to think what the inside of my engine on my 08 Duramax looks like with it running such a heavy EGR vs the newer trucks with DEF that have the EGR dialed back. We have been driving brand new tractors at work with DEF for the past year and a half because they had to be California compliant. No problems with the DEF systems on the Cummins or Detroits. Other issues that are non DEF related...yes
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
howdy
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
There is a nice 08 D-Max here in Va, has less than 15k miles LTZ loaded to the max... He wants 43k for it. I thought that was a bit much. But it is pretty close to brand new.

http://www.warrentonselect.com/detai...d-9769538.html
For around here that would be a pretty good price from a dealer. I have an 08 Duramax 3500 LTZ dually with 26,000 miles and KBB is over $44K in excellent condition for private party. Realistically I could probably sell all day long at $40K with the 20K 5th wheel hitch, wireless remote airbags, linex, below rail toolbox, etc....
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
BigCajun

You can get a loaded 2013 LTZ for about $55 depending on equipment. The newer engine has more power, larger fuel capacity and much better fuel economy than my 2008 model. I shopped for a used one when my 08 was totaled, but after driving the 13, and looking at the high prices of the used, I bought a new one. I couldn't be happier.