Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
rnkburg

AC air flow Raptor 300mp

Ok, I have read on here about poorly taped duct work. So tonight, I bought some foil tape and took the cover off. It actually was done pretty good. I have to admit. I did notice that the piece in between the cold out, and air in was just kinda loose. I taped that up good on both sides, but I still have what seems to be air pulling from the outlet side, into the inlet side.

Is this normal???

Second thing, I have the vents in the ceiling. The vents that I have you can shut off the vent completely by screwing them up. or screw down and they let out air. This seems to be fine if you want to shut off the air flow, but if you want air flow they seem to be poor. I took the covers off, letting it flow freely and I felt way more air.

Is this the right thing to do to get the most air out of the duct work, or should these be on and shooting across the roof of the trailer?

I looked at all the duct openings, and they seem to be taped well.

Any other suggestions? I am betting I will need the second unit, I am pre wired for it, but the wife keeps saying that we will be fine. Me on the other hand, like it cold.

Thanks in advance
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
randy69

2nd air

I'am with you, I like it cold too. The bedroom will be the coldest area. But I have read on some Rv's you may need to move your thermostat. Make sure you have have a 50 amp setup to run both.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
skdooman2004

300 mp

have same problems with round vent covers, glad you tried taking them off, mine also is pre wired, and after a weekend of 90 degree high humidity, called to have 2nd unit put in before a week at myrtle. i couldn,t take it any more, they should just automatically put it in, and add the $800 to the price!!!! my garage stays cool, as well as kitchen/ living room, just not top bedroom
skdooman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Me.Bikes.Dogs

My 300MP came with a 15,000btu unit in the kitchen. It kept the trailer about 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. When it hits 100 outside and the sun is shining I can expect to see 90 degrees inside. I redid all my vents with aluminum tape and redid the tape in the ceiling unit. I also removed the vent covers in all rooms except for the bathroom.

That all helped a bit but I had to install a second A/C unit in the bedroom (another 15,000btus) as I really got tired of 90-95 in the trailer on hot days. My unit was prewired for it. Adding the second unit (with a portable fan to blow the cool air out of the bedroom) made all the difference. Now my trailer is comfortable even on 110+ degree days. I don't have to use any window coverings either.

If you are going to be camping days at 100 degrees or more, get the second unit. It's well worth it!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
My 300MP came with a 15,000btu unit in the kitchen. It kept the trailer about 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. When it hits 100 outside and the sun is shining I can expect to see 90 degrees inside. I redid all my vents with aluminum tape and redid the tape in the ceiling unit. I also removed the vent covers in all rooms except for the bathroom.

That all helped a bit but I had to install a second A/C unit in the bedroom (another 15,000btus) as I really got tired of 90-95 in the trailer on hot days. My unit was prewired for it. Adding the second unit (with a portable fan to blow the cool air out of the bedroom) made all the difference. Now my trailer is comfortable even on 110+ degree days. I don't have to use any window coverings either.

If you are going to be camping days at 100 degrees or more, get the second unit. It's well worth it!
I'll second that opinion, 13.5K in the bedroom, straight blow out of the unit. I will try it again in few weeks at Myrtle beach.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
jacksonjack

I'm glad I read this. I have a 300mp also and havent been pleased with the AC.
I'm scheduled to get a second on installed on Wednesday. I imagined that the prewire was setup to be wired in the garage ? Is it prewired for a second in the bedroom ?
Also...Does the onan 5500 generator pull both AC's ?
Thanks
jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
randy69

2nd air wired in bedroom only

My bedroom is the coldest and the garage is the warmest. I Blocked off the air duct at the main unit that goes in front of the stairs and the bedroom. So the loft and garage gets the duct air. And of coarse the air regiestry vents at the main unit all three are open . Still have to take a fan to blow some of the cold air out of the bedroom to help out. 105 degree (Desert) dry camping. Onan 5500 will carry both airs and tv. We have used the mircowave but were pushing it a little.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
jacksonjack

One last question...... Are the units that are prewired for a second prewired to the bedroom or the garage ?
jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
Me.Bikes.Dogs

My 2010 300MP was prewired in the bedroom for a 15,000 BTU unit. If you look around the vent in the bedroom, mine had a covered electrical box with a label on it indicating the amperage it was prewired for.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
rnkburg

Yep that's exactly where mine is on the 2012

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
duramax

You would think with the supposedly good r value of these things and window tint it would stay somewhat cool, the front bedroom is the warmest part of my 300mp, I have the frameless bonded windows and I noticed around the outside seal for the glass on each corner the gasket is missing for about a half inch on every window I don't understand the reasoning for this either, it can't make for a good seal closed. I think if the ac had a top notch blower it would handle it better, I'm against adding another ac, want to make the current one more efficient, I've checked the tape work as well. Sorry for the rant
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
rnkburg

No worries on the rant but the second ac is the best option yet on mine. It should be standard on the unit

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
EricLynnAllison

When its 100deg+, I have my bedroom ac on, the ceiling vents closed in the bedroom and the bathroom with all inside doors open, ceiling fan on and pull the covers off of the ceiling vents in the garage, and we stay cool.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Dogman

If you take all the air vents off leaving them full open your hurting more then your helping.Its called air balancing. the vents closer to the unit will be closed more then the vents at the end. air is like water and will follow the path of least resistance.
2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
rnkburg

With one air and the covers on it didnt do well at all. In fact very hot in there. We took the covers off and it helped a lot but still not enough. We added the second air, close the vents in bedroom and bathroom and its so much better. I have the covers off in the living room and garage. Much much better with two airs. At night can turn front one off and open vent does great. Or if others in back are cold turn in the front for me to stay chilled like I like to be

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
duramax

Can anyone tell me what the cfm is on the standard air excel unit installed in the main living area is?
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
ToyTLH

I purchased a like new 2012 Raptor 300MP last fall from a dealer and this is my first camper/trailer of any type.

I live in the N.W. corner of Tennessee and since it gets so hot down here, I had him add the A.C. unit to the pre-wired bedroom. You could hang meat in the bedroom if you run this new unit on max cold.

I'm glad I did, the single main unit by itself struggles on hot days. I close off the ceiling vents in the bedroom and bathroom so more of the main unit A.C. unit goes to the main center room and/or if someone is staying in the garage section.

I have even placed a pretty powerful fan on the bedroom dresser blowing cold air from the bedroom towards the main room.

Two A.C. units is nice!
ToyTLH is offline   Reply With Quote