Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #41
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
Looks good. Owning a camper requires you to either pay some one or learn to fix things on your own. Glad you took the latter. ......the more you know.....
Based on a lot of current comments on paying someone else to fix things, you are actually paying an unskilled person to learn to fix your camper!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Based on a lot of current comments on paying someone else to fix things, you are actually paying an unskilled person to learn to fix your camper!

Ahhh, but George the satisfaction comes from knowing you're helping someone learn a new trade, sort of funding their ongoing education. Hard to beat....right?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #43
Bustinbeards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ahhh, but George the satisfaction comes from knowing you're helping someone learn a new trade, sort of funding their ongoing education. Hard to beat....right?
I have always believed nobody cares more about your stuff more than you!

I am very particular about the details and In most repairs attention to the details are often lacking. high quality work is hard to find these days, Especially at a reasonable cost. I simply could not afford to pay anyone else to do these repairs especially an hourly rate at a Dealership.

When I was young and for most of my life we just didn’t have extra $ to pay for a lot of things. You learned to take care of your stuff and if it broke you repaired it. If you couldn’t repair it you were just going without.

I don’t like paying for sub par work and repairs that I know I could do a better job on! If I can find the proper venue to research and gain knowledge on the subject at hand and feel as if I am capable of doing the job, I’ll do it myself.

Then again, in these situations you have to be honest with yourself about your skill set otherwise you end up with an even bigger and torn up mess.
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #44
curtiscapk

I believe we were raised the exact same way! I do all repairs that I can possibly do. Boat, Truck, camper, house etc. I'm sure I've saved 10's of thousands if not more. My yearly SS statement my first job was rebuilding vacuums for my parents shop when I was 11! And my pops taxed me!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
I have always believed nobody cares more about your stuff more than you!

I am very particular about the details and In most repairs attention to the details are often lacking. high quality work is hard to find these days, Especially at a reasonable cost. I simply could not afford to pay anyone else to do these repairs especially an hourly rate at a Dealership.

When I was young and for most of my life we just didn’t have extra $ to pay for a lot of things. You learned to take care of your stuff and if it broke you repaired it. If you couldn’t repair it you were just going without.

I don’t like paying for sub par work and repairs that I know I could do a better job on! If I can find the proper venue to research and gain knowledge on the subject at hand and feel as if I am capable of doing the job, I’ll do it myself.

Then again, in these situations you have to be honest with yourself about your skill set otherwise you end up with an even bigger and torn up mess.

This is the way it should be....and used to be. For many, if not most, these days it is a lost trait, or desire. The proof is sitting in front of my trailer. Took it in to have a simple job done today...change the oil (next to impossible to do due personally due to injuries). First, they did not have Mobil 1 in the weight I use so I went to Walmart (a disaster) and got it ($60) for them. They changed it - $101 without the oil!! I will say that $41 was for an oil filter (too high) but still $61 labor to replace the oil filter and oil...ridiculous. To top it off the engine smells like burning oil after it gets hot so they spilled it when filling. That is something I would never do nor let my DS get by with growing up - don't care, no pride, whatever - sad state of affairs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #46
LnS

Thanks for documenting the project as you have. Great work, looks good.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #47
ceasefire

I did the west system epoxy plugs on the floor of my zepplin. You stole that lol
ceasefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring repairs, heat problem, water damage, windows