Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 AM   #1
notanlines

Train horn thoughts

I had once again given thoughts to installing a train horn on the Super Duty. God of course had other ideas and immediately locked up the compressor on our living room A/C. So much for that $2,000.
In my browsing however, I also learned that I need to save my nickels and dimes for a bit longer. Check out this baby for the tidy sum of $7,000, including Viair compressor!
https://hornblasters.com/products/le...RoCE5IQAvD_BwE
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:15 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I had once again given thoughts to installing a train horn on the Super Duty. God of course had other ideas and immediately locked up the compressor on our living room A/C. So much for that $2,000.
In my browsing however, I also learned that I need to save my nickels and dimes for a bit longer. Check out this baby for the tidy sum of $7,000, including Viair compressor!
It says hearing protection required while using…lol
I picture some knucklehead brake checking you …and glancing in his mirror…(mumbles to himself) “wonder why they’re putting on earmuffs??”…then you unleash the train horn and he spins off to the shoulder
Old 08-26-2021, 03:17 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
I've had air horns on my Dually since shortly after I bought it in 2017. Of course, I didn't quite spend $7K for them, but they still sound really good and I've had to legitimately use them several times when someone pulls out in front of me. Sometimes though, it's just fun to let 'er rip and hear that sound....although I'm normally pretty considerate where I do that at....no houses close by, and no other traffic around. I have an onboard Viair compressor, but it not the "normal" setup. I installed mine in the crossbed toolbox of my truck, then ran the line down and out the bottom of the toolbox, then down and through the bed of the truck to the solenoid valve that controls the horns. The compressor has a 2 gallon tank, so plenty of air there for a quick blast....or an extended one if needed. I also plumbed it up with a quick disconnect on there to be able to use a 25' air hose and be able to air up the airbags or a tire that is low.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:19 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I wonder about posters who are up in the very early hours of the morning with nothing better to do than scope out mega-bucks train horns.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:24 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I wonder about posters who are up in the very early hours of the morning with nothing better to do than scope out mega-bucks train horns.
For many years, before I retired in April, 2020, I was up at 3:30AM every workday getting some coffee, taking a shower and heading out the door at 4:25 to be at work before 6:00AM. Since I've retired, I've learned to sleep in and enjoy retirement. Many mornings I'll sleep all the way to 5:00...maybe 5:30....it sure feels good to sleep in.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:34 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

We are now up to a full team of nine dogs. The baby is a new addition and her name is Bonnie. She still sleeps in a crate and not on the bed with the rest of the ankle biters as she has not been deemed trustworthy. She starts fussing in the early morning to be taken outside and the missus hears it and complies and then takes Bonnie back to bed with her. I am a victim of Bonnie's sleep habit as I don't sleep as long as the missus and don't go back to sleep. We are taking off for Old River Road RV Resort south of Kerrville today so here I am killing time till the sun comes up so I can get hooked up. The missus has a puppy addiction and I guess I am an enabler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bonnie1.small.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	35432  
Old 08-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
We are now up to a full team of nine dogs. The baby is a new addition and her name is Bonnie. She still sleeps in a crate and not on the bed with the rest of the ankle biters as she has not been deemed trustworthy. She starts fussing in the early morning to be taken outside and the missus hears it and complies and then takes Bonnie back to bed with her. I am a victim of Bonnie's sleep habit as I don't sleep as long as the missus and don't go back to sleep. We are taking off for Old River Road RV Resort south of Kerrville today so here I am killing time till the sun comes up so I can get hooked up. The missus has a puppy addiction and I guess I am an enabler.
Your all set for the Iditarod! Which dog leads?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:40 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Your all set for the Iditarod! Which dog leads?

That would be Presley, our St. B and Great P. mix; he is somewhere between 120-150 lbs. or Billy Bob our fat little chihuahua who thinks he is alpha.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:47 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
That would be Presley, our St. B and Great P. mix; he is somewhere between 120-150 lbs. or Billy Bob our fat little chihuahua who thinks he is alpha.
Lol maybe have to some creative harness engineering to keep all the paws in the snow for maximum traction ..picture half the dogs swinging like they are on a clothesline
Old 08-26-2021, 04:30 AM   #10
notanlines

Quote:

Well, if I surfed fancy lingerie or bikinis then I get all the ads on the side that Laredo Tugger complained about. Those things offend me of course....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Wow! $7,000 for a large set of horns. My question, where would you mount them? My Kleinn dual trumpet truck horns were only about $70 and $250 for the VIAIR compressor.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:44 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It says hearing protection required while using…lol
I picture some knucklehead brake checking you …and glancing in his mirror…(mumbles to himself) “wonder why they’re putting on earmuffs??”…then you unleash the train horn and he spins off to the shoulder
Here's what came to mind for me, The truck from Christmas Vacation only with that horn proudly displayed on the roof that's framed by two exhaust stacks the size of metal trash cans extending up out of the bed. Hearing protection? What? Don't need no stink'n earplugs, I won't be able to hear Johnny Cash sing'n "I hear that train a coumi'n"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Late to the thread, I have a set on my TV. I bought the “conductors special” from horn blasters. 5 gal tank and 4 tuned plastic horns pointed straight down to the ground. 153db for 11 seconds before they fade.

I use them when I get cut off as a rule.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Late to the thread, I have a set on my TV. I bought the “conductors special” from horn blasters. 5 gal tank and 4 tuned plastic horns pointed straight down to the ground. 153db for 11 seconds before they fade.

I use them when I get cut off as a rule.

Where is all this mounted. My wife already told me there is NO WAY I would ever have an air horn (I would be tempted to treat my fellow motorists to a blast now and then I guess) BUT if I could mount horns & tank in such a way that they would be invisible to the casual viewer, I might get away with it until my wife caught me and then it would be too late; (I guess).
Old 08-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Where is all this mounted. My wife already told me there is NO WAY I would ever have an air horn (I would be tempted to treat my fellow motorists to a blast now and then I guess) BUT if I could mount horns & tank in such a way that they would be invisible to the casual viewer, I might get away with it until my wife caught me and then it would be too late; (I guess).
Well on both of our Rams the horns and tank were not visible. On the 2001 I mounted below the passenger side floor, I placed a small piece door mat in front of the horns to protect from road spray. The small PacBrake was frame mounted under the truck bed.
The 2016 Ram tank again under the bed, dual trumpet Kline truck horns mounted behind front bumper.
the Klienn’s were less than $100, and all metal, model 102.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #16
Scttw

I'd love to install a system on my CanAn Outlander. I catch up to SO many groups and they NEVER look behind ...... Grrrrrr
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #17
travelin texans

I told the DW I didn't want air horns to use for that person that cuts you off but rather something that shouts as loud as the air horns "A##HOLE" when you push the button, we all know that's what we're all saying when that happens so why not let that driver hear it, she thinks we'd get shot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

George I mounted mine on the frame under the passenger seat. They are pointed down at an angle forward. The air compressor/tank is mounted on the left rear side on the bed behind the wheel (I have a cap one the bed so it's out of the weather.

The way I set mine up I put a quick disconnect thru the side of the inside bedrail and two 12v dc solinoids for the air bags (one for inflating and one for deflating. I also mounted a switch at the rear corner of the bed to operate the solenoids (with a pressure gauge) as well as the same inside the driver's compartment.

For the air horn solenoid I have two switches, one is a momentary switch that just operates the air horns and one SPST on/off switch. That switch is powered by the truck's horn relay so when I blow the truck horn the air horns will go off. I leave that on 99% of the time because I don't want to take my eyes off the road to find a horn button in the middle of an emergency maneuver. Having it set that way does garner attention if you set of the truck's alarm.

There's a single lane railway underpass nearby our house that occasionally I'll drive thru and if no vehichles are around I'll tell the DW that "it's time to clear the cobwebs!" so she doesn't jump out of her seat when I "test" to make sure they still work.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
I'd love to install a system on my CanAn Outlander. I catch up to SO many groups and they NEVER look behind ...... Grrrrrr
I know Wolo and Fiam both make motorcycle horns and I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I built a cage and powdercoated it. It’s Mounted near the rear on the drivers side. Tank is in the center off to the drivers side and the compressor is on a plate I used, mounted to the frame behind the drivers seat. Pics when I get a chance

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote