Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Goinbroke

alpine 3500re First Trip

We got to use the new trailer this weekend and did not have any major issues, had to run off the holding tanks at night to avoid freezing the water hose, the water pump in this thing is very noisy, it sounds like it may have a line up against the shower wall and it bangs when running. when i find the water pump im going to try and calm this down. only other issue i had was with the digital thermostat i think i need to learn more about how to program it to get it to quit cycling the furnace and heat pump.
overall were very pleased..
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
2011 keystone

you can check in the mod area here and find lots of good ways to calm down all the water pump noise. this is a common problem with TT. Glad to here your shake down trip went well.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
hsmunoz

the water pump is just behind the panel in the basement. Same side as the vaccum bag access.
noisy as heck, been there done that!. I pulled off the panel, added 3 ft of flex hose on both the intake and output of the pump, then added some foam tubing insulation to all the hard lines that contact any part of the frame. Now it's so quite that if there was a leak any where, or someone leaves the water running ,I can't hear the pump running.
while you have that panel off, use metal tape to secure the furnace vent plugs. they are just on there with friction and can come loose , causing you to vent the heater in the basement more than necessary.
cheers!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
geo

The water pump may be located behind either basement panel. Just depends on which Keystone builder was on shift and how he/she is feeling. On my Alpine, the water pump would probably successfully wake the dead! I pulled the panel immediately behind the WaterWorks to find the pump and the Pex elbow against the basement panel. A SurFlo pump quieting kit (flexible connection hose) from CW and moving the pump about three inches made all the difference in the world. Now I can just barely hear the pump.

DocData757 is best to advise you on the thermostat.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Goinbroke

thanks for all the info i will pull the covers off and see what i can do quiet it down, I told my wife the same thing, it would wake the dead!!, i need to do a search on the thermostat .
Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
KanTC

Welcome

Welcome to the forum Goinbroke & congrats on your new Alpine.

There's a few other members here from the 'Land of Enchantment' too..
just wanted to pop in & say from Carlsbad.

Happy trails to you & the Mrs.,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinbroke View Post
We got to use the new trailer this weekend and did not have any major issues, had to run off the holding tanks at night to avoid freezing the water hose, the water pump in this thing is very noisy, it sounds like it may have a line up against the shower wall and it bangs when running. when i find the water pump im going to try and calm this down. only other issue i had was with the digital thermostat i think i need to learn more about how to program it to get it to quit cycling the furnace and heat pump.
overall were very pleased..
We are looking forward to our first trip in our Alpine 3500re. There are a few warranty issues to take care of at the dealer first. Can't wait to rough it in our 3500re after five years in the tt.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
hankaye

Goinbroke, Howdy;

More of a 'Welcome Howdy" fro Southern N.M. (Arrey 1/2 way between TorC and Hatch).

hankaye & Rascal (woof)

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Goinbroke

I got the water pump issue fixed. I replaced the discharge line with a longer flex hose that is not in a bind now. Then I took foam insulation and slid it up the lines between the walls where I could get to, and also put it between all things the line touched to reduce the rattling, it is very quiet now. Only other thing is I found is the shower drain leaking, I haven't decided if I want to fix it or let the dealer handle that. they are 2 hours away!!
B&W Companion Hitch
2009 Glastron GLS215
2011 Razor 800 Walker Evans Edition
2000 Club Car w/lots of extras and speed
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinbroke View Post
I got the water pump issue fixed. I replaced the discharge line with a longer flex hose that is not in a bind now. Then I took foam insulation and slid it up the lines between the walls where I could get to, and also put it between all things the line touched to reduce the rattling, it is very quiet now. Only other thing is I found is the shower drain leaking, I haven't decided if I want to fix it or let the dealer handle that. they are 2 hours away!!
Are you getting good airflow from the furnace in the living room area? Our bedroom/bathroom gets really warm. But it seems like little heat makes it in the living room.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Goinbroke

That's the same way this one is. It will run you out of the bed and bathroom but cold in living area.
B&W Companion Hitch
2009 Glastron GLS215
2011 Razor 800 Walker Evans Edition
2000 Club Car w/lots of extras and speed
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
DocData757

During the day, we cover the floor vent in the bedroom and this helps a lot.

If you want to cover the one in the bathroom, a bowl works fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
travelbugger

I have same heating problem in my Alpine 3200Rl.
I bought these magnetic floor vent covers from Lowe's, which you can cut to size. I cover the bedroom and sometimes the bath. If I don't cover the bath one I leave the door open there. I reversed the ceiling fan in the living room to push the air that rises back down, and I removed the back side of the underbelly (outside) in the LR area and put fiberglass insulation down there. Aparently there isn't any down there! I had noticed the vents in the LR area felt cold in the winter when the furnace wasn't running. I also use a small electric heater in the LR area to save on propane. Hope some of these modifications I made helps someone. I wish I knew why these Alpines don't get much air flow in the rear. Maybe the distance is too long and it has a larger diameter duct? No idea. Good luck
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
mikell

Michigan has been really warm so the heat pump has been running instead of the furnace. the fireplace helps alot too. It's 40 again today and only going to be 30 tonight so it looks like the heat pump will be working for another week
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
geo

Hot bedroom, cold living area

About a year ago, I discovered what was causing my "hot bedroom, cold living area" problem. It was posted in "Repairs and Maintenace":

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1798

Now, this may not be everyone's problem, but once I moved the duct work around so as not to be "pinched off" by the incoming electrical cable, the vents at the rear of the Alpine are flowing air very well. When I was installing the heating pads on the waste tanks, I was directly below this area, so I reached up and even re-arranged the heavy input power cable even a little more.

Attached is a picture of this "pinched duct" that on the 3640RL is in the lowest basement area immediately behind the WaterWorks. Note: the 3" duct is part of the basement warm air circulation system that was my modification.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward%20duct.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	949  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
f6bits

I have the same duct problem as geo. The undercarriage ductwork is pinched due to poor routing. I was able to get in and improve the rear ducting, but the front (bedroom) is still pinched somewhere, but the coroplast is a pain to remove up front. Some day I’ll dismantle the underside and fix up my ductwork. For now, I use a space heater when necessary.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
travelbugger

Is the coroplast the underbelly covering?
As far as I know my ducting isn't pinched anywhere, but I wasn't able to get the underbelly removed in the middle of the camper to take a look as the gas lines run there. I hope we wont have to worry about heating too much once I move to houston in may. I just gotta fudge a few more months.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
f6bits

Yes, Coroplast™ is the black plastic cardboard stuff that seals off the underside. If you’re not getting airflow (cold or warm), then I’d suspect a pinched duct. I even went so far as to open up my furnace cabinet to plug the plenum openings that went to other ducts, and that didn’t improve the airflow. And that’s when I opened up the underbelly and discovered the horrendous routing of my ductwork.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
travelbugger

Pinched ducting

I had wondered if mine was pinched, but couldn't find it in the places I did look. The only place left to look is probably in the most awkwardest place ever! Somewhere back in this mess maybe....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underbelly- water lines_resized.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	950  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
geo

Try removing the storage compartment panels that hide the "utility" basement. That would be where the furnace and convertor would be. There is an upper and lower part - separated by the floor base of the main living area. Look in the lower portion.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Closed Thread